peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and the first 9 TR games ie 1 through underworld

That's why core gave us the LE.
Old 23-04-12, 09:55   #42
aussie500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraiderx08 View Post
Because they were tired of making a new game every single year, lol.
Well they seemed to fail at making some other type of game every year. It was far easier just to release something they knew would make money, rather than having to come up with something new that might fail. They were going to have to come up with something each year in order to pay the bills. That is what game developers do, make games for a living.
Old 23-04-12, 10:59   #43
peeves
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Well they seemed to fail at making some other type of game every year. It was far easier just to release something they knew would make money, rather than having to come up with something new that might fail. They were going to have to come up with something each year in order to pay the bills. That is what game developers do, make games for a living.
And what specific game would they make besides TR?
Old 23-04-12, 19:47   #44
Mytly

Location: In the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
But she went on to the Valhalla of custom levels! I'm tearing up as I type this. The best custom levels are superior to the commercial games, IMO.
'Valhalla' - what an apt description.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 23:37   #45
aussie500

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
And what specific game would they make besides TR?
Peeves is your thinking so limited? The were a game developer they could make any game they wanted, Eidos never kept that close an eye on them, all they had to do was get it approved by their own management and whatever console owner they were making the game for. There are always loads of ideas that never get to be a finished game, even if they managed to get started.

In 1995 when they started Tomb Raider they thought it would be the least successful of the three games they had planned for a 1996 release. No one even remembers the other two now. Core Design did make games other than Tomb Raider, they could have expanded the company with all that money they made, but it seems they lacked initiative. They expanded when they started making PS2 games, but really none of them did that well either. It was Core's choice to concentrate on Tomb Raider, they never came up with anything else that could match it.

BC Racers
Thunderstrike 2
Skeleton Crew
Asterix and the Power of the Gods
Swagman

Tomb Raider
Shellshock
Blam! Machinehead

Tomb Raider II
Fighting Force

Tomb Raider III
Ninja: Shadow of Darkness

Tomb Raider: The last Revelation
Fighting Force 2

in 1999 they started developing their PS2 games, so things slowed down. They re-released some old games for 2000 as well as deciding we were going to pay for the Eidos created Gold levels, Tomb Raider: The Lost Artifact. But still income would have been down, especially if they had not made TR5.

Tomb Raider: Chronicles
Tomb Raider (GBC)

Project Eden (PS2 and PC)
Thunderstrike: Operation Phoenix (PS2)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (GBC)

Herdy Gerdy (PS2)

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (PS2 and PC)

Smart Bomb (PSP)

When they were sold off in 2006 they had 3 games in development, the almost finished Free Running and the 2 next gen games Shellshock 2 and Rogue Warrior. And we know one game they were developing that was cancelled before they changed owners.

Core Design were never limited to only making Tomb Raider games.

Last edited by aussie500; 23-04-12 at 23:41.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 11:04   #46
peeves
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Peeves is your thinking so limited? The were a game developer they could make any game they wanted, Eidos never kept that close an eye on them, all they had to do was get it approved by their own management and whatever console owner they were making the game for. There are always loads of ideas that never get to be a finished game, even if they managed to get started.

In 1995 when they started Tomb Raider they thought it would be the least successful of the three games they had planned for a 1996 release. No one even remembers the other two now. Core Design did make games other than Tomb Raider, they could have expanded the company with all that money they made, but it seems they lacked initiative. They expanded when they started making PS2 games, but really none of them did that well either. It was Core's choice to concentrate on Tomb Raider, they never came up with anything else that could match it.

BC Racers
Thunderstrike 2
Skeleton Crew
Asterix and the Power of the Gods
Swagman

Tomb Raider
Shellshock
Blam! Machinehead

Tomb Raider II
Fighting Force

Tomb Raider III
Ninja: Shadow of Darkness

Tomb Raider: The last Revelation
Fighting Force 2

in 1999 they started developing their PS2 games, so things slowed down. They re-released some old games for 2000 as well as deciding we were going to pay for the Eidos created Gold levels, Tomb Raider: The Lost Artifact. But still income would have been down, especially if they had not made TR5.

Tomb Raider: Chronicles
Tomb Raider (GBC)

Project Eden (PS2 and PC)
Thunderstrike: Operation Phoenix (PS2)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (GBC)

Herdy Gerdy (PS2)

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (PS2 and PC)

Smart Bomb (PSP)

When they were sold off in 2006 they had 3 games in development, the almost finished Free Running and the 2 next gen games Shellshock 2 and Rogue Warrior. And we know one game they were developing that was cancelled before they changed owners.

Core Design were never limited to only making Tomb Raider games.
The only game that i could think of that core design made besides TR was fighting force i remember seeing other games on wikipedia but don't remember the names so well.
Old 07-05-12, 22:04   #47
motoleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_84 View Post
There have been many theories behind this decision, some say Core Design got tired of being put under pressure to produce a new TR each year and eventually got sick of Lara, to be honest I believe it was just for the shock factor, the move from PS1 to next gen, a way of saying goodbye to the old Lara and bringing in something new, death in TR:TLR turned into AOD, then the death of Core.....
Well, I'm still trying to come to terms at which point did Lara Croft actually die. I would say she really died at the ending of AOD. The last three games were obviously spinoffs. They were fun, but I don't really count them as canon. So, she didn't really ever die, that was just were it ended for me.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 22:10   #48
Lara_Fan1
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
Well, I'm still trying to come to terms at which point did Lara Croft actually die. I would say she really died at the ending of AOD. The last three games were obviously spinoffs. They were fun, but I don't really count them as canon. So, she didn't really ever die, that was just were it ended for me.
Is it just me that thinks LAU were actually good games?
Old 07-05-12, 22:18   #49
motoleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Is it just me that thinks LAU were actually good games?
Does Tomb Raider Legend take place after AOD? I mean, everything before that, does she remember Kurtis? Or is it a spinoff?

The LAU Trilogy itself has no actual ending either. But I think this is the second reboot.

Last edited by motoleo; 07-05-12 at 22:21.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 22:30   #50
Lara_Fan1
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
Does Tomb Raider Legend take place after AOD? I mean, everything before that, does she remember Kurtis? Or is it a spinoff?

The LAU Trilogy itself has no actual ending either. But I think this is the second reboot.
Well no I guess she doesn't but no this isn't a second reboot because Core were actually doing Tomb Raider: Legend CD just took over.

I think we just have to forget AoD there are millions of questions for that game that will never been un-answered.