www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 14-04-12, 22:52   #1
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Default There is a Fire Torch Animation in VCI level

I have been working quite a bit with the VCI levels to make a recent video.

I noticed that in the cutscene data file (richcut.trc) which shows the wheelchair bound Von Croy looking at the recording of lara, does has a torch animation, though not shown in the cutscene.

The torch itself is multi coloured (as picture) and looks as if it should have a fire burning type of animation. I have moved it using fexmerger to a playable VCI level and put it in laras hand, to see how it would have looked.

I was wondering if anyone could video the actual animation frames in action, if they exist, as I can only show here the unlit torch wiremesh and its textures (ie, unanimated).

The question is that in the cutscene or the rest of the VCI levels, no torch is used by lara, so it must have been in the designers minds to use this lit torch in dark areas, but was never used, as far as i can see.

Here she is again with the torch, where I have placed her in another area of the VCI building ...

Old 14-04-12, 22:53   #2
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Another nice find Chi.
Old 16-04-12, 21:52   #3
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 8 and anniversary

Nice find Chi!
Old 17-04-12, 03:04   #4
GameGlitcher77
Professor

Cool Alright...

I might try that... For the record Chi try merging the Desert Eagle into the VCI levels... It takes down the security guards, the soliders, and the S.W.A.T. soliders in two shots to the chest
Old 17-04-12, 09:51   #5
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Default Fire torch animations

I expect the annimations of this fire torch in TRC has no suprises and should just be like a normal fire torch operation in TR4, ie, lift torch in hand, hold torch, light torch, use torch somewhere.

I just wonder what the designers had in mind, when these VCI levels are modern high rise buildings where there is no naked flame around to light torch.

Oh...... except for the open fire behind the wheelchair bound Von Croy, and this cutscene is the only VCI level with the torch animation.

I now expect that one of the idea's of the designers was to make Lara sneek up behind and light the torch at this open fire. After that who knows?

Maybe set Von Croy on fire

Last edited by The Great Chi; 17-04-12 at 09:57.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 00:45   #6
!Lara Croft!

I think it was just left in the wad when they were building it from a 'base' wad. I sometimes find 'artifacts' in my wads which i forgot to delete.

Remember that Natla laptop map thingy in all the TR1 level files? And i believe made its way into TR2/3...
!Lara Croft! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-12, 22:13   #7
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lara Croft! View Post
I think it was just left in the wad when they were building it from a 'base' wad. I sometimes find 'artifacts' in my wads which i forgot to delete.

Remember that Natla laptop map thingy in all the TR1 level files? And i believe made its way into TR2/3...
Normally I would agree with you about the torch, but this torch does have its own unique textures, compaired other TR4 torches.

So it was specifically made for above 'Von croy in wheelchair' cutscene, then never used.

It would have been interesting to see how it would have looked lit, but all I got was lara burning in the fire instead of lighting the torch.
Old 27-05-12, 05:01   #8
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

O Great Chi, here's a torch in Temple of Horus that was carried from Inside the Great Pyramid.

Unlit:

Lit:

The texture on the torch is apparently Lara!?

The torch looked normal in the previous level, so I assume this is some kind of "default" torch that is probably included with all the levels. Incidentally, if Lara drops this torch, it turns into her shorts!

Fill in your own "pants on fire" joke here.

So the torch out of her hand has no default. Well, the default is the shorts, which appears whenever there is no default view of an item.

Hmm, we also see that the glove hand holding the torch is different than the other. That's not surprising, since your image showed that the clenched hand is part of the torch.

I also see in your 3 images, the torch moves from the left hand to the right. Are the last 2 pics in a "mirror universe"?
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 09:11   #9
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
O Great Chi, .....I also see in your 3 images, the torch moves from the left hand to the right. Are the last 2 pics in a "mirror universe"?
Quite a good lot of TR4 torch information there rr_carroll

As for the handing of the torch, when I modded Lara holding the torch, by replacing 'hand mesh' with 'hand + torch mesh', I put it in the wrong hand position, its a 50/50 chance and I got it wrong, DOH !

No wonder I never win the lottery

I realised this wrong handing when running the level, but was too lazy to remod it, as it was just to show her holding the torch anyway.
Old 27-05-12, 18:30   #10
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

Never mind about the torch handedness (a word?), Great Chi, you showed us something that most of us had no idea was possible, thanks!
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote