www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 17-02-13, 21:59   #21
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatToastyBass View Post
I've read your explanations of Madubu Gorge previously, and they made about as much sense to me as when Screaming Lord Sutch explained his manifesto for the Monster Raving Loony Party.
It's OK, some people simply don't possess the ability to appreciate one of TR's finest experiences... it's a sad thing, I know, but you'll get over it.

If I had to pick a set of "worst classic levels," I would probably choose Offshore Rig, Caves of Kaliya, All Hallows, and TR4's Cairo section.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-13, 22:07   #22
ThatToastyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
It's OK, some people simply don't possess the ability to appreciate one of TR's finest experiences... it's a sad thing, I know, but you'll get over it.

If I had to pick a set of "worst classic levels," I would probably choose Offshore Rig, Caves of Kaliya, All Hallows, and TR4's Cairo section.
I think there is a link between people who like Madubu Gorge and those pushy, competitive fathers - those who take their kids on boating trips in the freezing rain at 6am, because it 'builds character'. I also suspect the 50th percentile of people who enjoy MG (that's about 3 people) also have very strong sado-masochistic tendencies. But I digress...

For me, WotMD came at exactly the right time in TR2. Until Bartoli's Hideout, TR2 wasn't great, in my opinion. WotMD was that classic, isolated, atmospheric exploration that encapsulated vintage TR levels. Opera House was very good but WotMD and associated levels was just that bit more 'wow'.
ThatToastyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-13, 22:09   #23
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
For me, WotMD came at exactly the right time in TR2. Until Bartoli's Hideout, TR2 wasn't great, in my opinion. WotMD was that classic, isolated, atmospheric exploration that encapsulated vintage TR levels. Opera House was very good but WotMD and associated levels was just that bit more 'wow'.
I think that TR2 is probably one of the only games of the series that actually gets better as it goes along. The first hour or so is a little underwhelming, but by the time you reach Maria Doria and Tibet, the game hits its stride.

Chronicles is also the same way.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-13, 22:18   #24
ThatToastyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
I think that TR2 is probably one of the only games of the series that actually gets better as it goes along. The first hour or so is a little underwhelming, but by the time you reach Maria Doria and Tibet, the game hits its stride.
Agreed because they definitely saved the best for last - Floating Islands and Temple of Xian were incredible. WotMD was up there, though.
Old 17-02-13, 22:29   #25
l3igl3oss
Historian

Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't let this go. Men infiltrating a sunken wreck apparently makes no sense (via diving bell or mini-subs perhaps - It really isn't that far-fetched), yet Lara firing sub-machine guns at ghosts is a logical scenario??!
Perhaps... I let my wishes cloud my judgement, but I really would like ghosts on the wrecked ship, for variety's sake. The curse that lies within that sunken ship could keep treasure hunters away, except for levels like the Deck and those submerged areas where a scuba diver would be cool. But the same enemies we've been fighting over and over? Hmm, no.
l3igl3oss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-13, 22:38   #26
ThatToastyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3igl3oss View Post
Perhaps... I let my wishes cloud my judgement, but I really would like ghosts on the wrecked ship, for variety's sake. The curse that lies within that sunken ship could keep treasure hunters away, except for levels like the Deck and those submerged areas where a scuba diver would be cool. But the same enemies we've been fighting over and over? Hmm, no.
A good compromise to the WotMD would be to only have sharks, barracudas and other sea/ocean life, and instead of having human enemies present, the unstable wreck could be it's own danger - making more of perils such as engine fumes, areas of high pressure, stray and dangerous machinery, unstable structures and crumbling masonry - a self-contained danger zone much like the Temple of Xian.

For me though, that is just minor nitpicking - WotMD was great even with somewhat annoying human enemies on board.
Old 18-02-13, 01:39   #27
airrr13
Hobbyist

@ThatToastyBass "The OP summarised the sensation and experience perfectly for the WotMD, and although human enemies are slightly annoying within the game as a whole, I don't find their presence detracts from the level at all." (Thank you )
i do happen to enjoy the majority of the levels in this section with living quarters being the weakest because to be honest, i dont really see how that level would even be considered "living quarters" haha like the honest thing relevant to that was the theatre at the end and i also just think the level is too short in comparison to the rest of them

@sheepman23 im glad you agree with me! i am a huge fan of all the reviews you do, honestly they are probably my favorite part about these forums i still read them all the time just because its a great place to get instant feedback on these amazing games and you do a really good job summarizing the entire aspects of the games...and PLEASE do re-reviews! i would be so happy
Old 18-02-13, 10:22   #28
Roux
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3igl3oss View Post
I was under the impression that the human enemis were members of Bartoli's gang. So, in context, it makes sense they'd be down there. Probably searching for the Seraph like Lara was.
Old 18-02-13, 11:15   #29
Seth94
Relic Hunter

Meh, I don't get all the fuss over the Maria Doria levels. They aren't very much fun tbh. Wreck of the Maria Doria is ok but by the time you reach the Deck nothing changes - same boring enemies, same textures, (albeit a few more), same layout pretty much.

The Tibetan levels are a great example of showing how to make levels look different in the same location.
Seth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 11:20   #30
ThatToastyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth94 View Post
Meh, I don't get all the fuss over the Maria Doria levels. They aren't very much fun tbh. Wreck of the Maria Doria is ok but by the time you reach the Deck nothing changes - same boring enemies, same textures, (albeit a few more), same layout pretty much.
Each to their own. Other than the gripes with the enemies, I couldn't disagree more with this post.