www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 28-11-15, 22:04   #171
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
7.5 - IGN
4/5 - Metacritic
4.5/5- GamesRader

---

Still pretty close I'd say, although reviews mean nothing to me.
Of course there were some good ones , but most reviews I remember reading were mixed with a little leaning towards positive , Still not comparable to Rise's level by any means imo .

For instance : Underworld had 16 mixed , 26 positive (PS3) while Rise had 87 positive , 4 mixed (Xbone) .

And it was deserved , Underworld was a buggy glitchy game with the most broken Lara (movements wise) , the worst last levels and the worst Camera of all time .

Last edited by Patrick star; 28-11-15 at 22:06.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:04   #172
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Yes, I do like their style, just not for TR like you. Personally I like my TR in a realistic style, but I guess others could work.

You didn't say btw, if you had any preference for games developer (beyond Crystal). Is there anyone in particular you'd hand it to?
It's honestly quite difficult because there are almost no studios out there still making the sort of gameplay I'd like to see in TR. DICE to some extend with Mirror's Edge but they a) don't have a lot of experience with third-person games and b) are owned by EA so that's just completely unrealistic. Like Reggie said, there's Tequila Works... and I'm sure that there are a few other small indies doing nice, challenging classic-style platforming that I don't know about. I suppose Dontnod could be interesting. Their "platforming" in Remember Me was as awful as that in most other modern AAA games but then Core seemed on a way to embrace more general adventure gameplay concepts in AoD (all the snooping around apartments going through drawers, looking for clues, etc.) and that's something Dontnod certainly managed to do well in Life is Strange. I'm not sure if I'd completely trust them with TR but it'd still be interesting to see what they could come up with. Plus they've already worked with Square. But yeah, like I said, it's quite difficult to find a studio nowadays who've proven they can do the sort of gameplay that I'm looking for in a TR game. Ideally, I'd just try to form a new studio and rehire as many of the old Core guys as possible . (If any of them would even be willing to return to the franchise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
And it was deserved , Underworld was a buggy glitchy game with the most broken Lara (movements wise) and the worst Camera of all time .
None of that really bothered me. But most of the gameplay just wasn't fun and the story was atrocious.

Last edited by Zebra; 28-11-15 at 22:05.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:16   #173
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
None of that really bothered me. But most of the gameplay just wasn't fun and the story was atrocious.
Hollywood loves it though! TRU even got a WGA nomination for best writing in a videogame.
Old 28-11-15, 22:25   #174
TwinPistols92
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Let's face it, if they haven't protected their franchise - which is supposedly the valuable item in this deal (ie, the product being bargained between the 2 companies) - then they are bigger fools than I have them down for. Like I say, I can't quite believe it myself that they wouldn't have negotiated a substantial amount. But who knows... you know? I think we'll get a better feel for everything after the PC sales. If things aren't lining up how SE are expecting them to by then, I think it'll become obvious.

But 1 thing I do think is that it's not necessarily panic stations yet.
A substantial amount of money seems a bit overboard. SE let everyone know that TR2013 underperformed, and MS surely knew that. I can't see them offering much more than $10 million (the estimate by an industry analyst) in addition to everything else MS would be footing the bill for. The game IS still coming out for other platforms...covering the amount of sales lost does not sound like part of the deal, not for a timed exclusive. That amount of money could pay for 2 AAA game budgets.
TwinPistols92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:27   #175
BrianHortonArt
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmask View Post
It's funny looking back at some older posts how we had the same conversations when Reboot came out. History is definitely repeating itself.
Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team, thanks for the concerns. Crystal and Eidos Montreal made a game we are proud of and we appreciate the overwheling number of positive reviews and fan feedback. We're looking forward to the Game Awards next week where we are nominated for Best Action Adventure and Best Performance for Camilla. Wish us luck, hopefully it's just the beginning of the recognition Tomb Raider and Lara Croft receives this year. It's cool to see her on top again for the second game in a row. We're all fans and for me it's been the honor of my career to be a part of such a fantastic legacy. Next year 20th Anniversary!
BrianHortonArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:28   #176
starstruck
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
On multiple platforms. The only numbers to really compare are TReboot on Xbox vs RotTR on XBox over the same amount of time, which I think has been done in this thread. While RotTR has not done as well as TReboot on Xbox, comparatively, it hasn't done poorly, comparatively. People just need to be patient and see how this thing plays out over the long haul and stop freaking out now.
Why is that?

So you wouldn't count Unfinished Business or TR Gold or The Greatest Hits versions of 1996 Tomb Raider towards it's total either?
Greatest Hits didn't change anything about the game. Of course it counts.

DE was a totally different release.

It's not surprising that Square/Crystal bent the truth about this being the ~best seller~ when it's 2 games combined sales they're basing it off of.

I'd love to see what they sold independently
starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:29   #177
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Brian , pleeaaase is the team working on the next game now ? are we going to get one ?
Old 28-11-15, 22:30   #178
Dream
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
It's honestly quite difficult because there are almost no studios out there still making the sort of gameplay I'd like to see in TR. DICE to some extend with Mirror's Edge but they a) don't have a lot of experience with third-person games and b) are owned by EA so that's just completely unrealistic. Like Reggie said, there's Tequila Works... and I'm sure that there are a few other small indies doing nice, challenging classic-style platforming that I don't know about. I suppose Dontnod could be interesting. Their "platforming" in Remember Me was as awful as that in most other modern AAA games but then Core seemed on a way to embrace more general adventure gameplay concepts in AoD (all the snooping around apartments going through drawers, looking for clues, etc.) and that's something Dontnod certainly managed to do well in Life is Strange. I'm not sure if I'd completely trust them with TR but it'd still be interesting to see what they could come up with. Plus they've already worked with Square. But yeah, like I said, it's quite difficult to find a studio nowadays who've proven they can do the sort of gameplay that I'm looking for in a TR game. Ideally, I'd just try to form a new studio and rehire as many of the old Core guys as possible . (If any of them would even be willing to return to the franchise.)

AGREED So much. Hnng~~

I loathed reboot and rises story (Yes I watched it on youtube so I would have more context)
A new team with all the old Core members, We can dream dammit!

I want muh gurl judith back most of all! Either her or Jonell or Shelley!

Last edited by Dream; 28-11-15 at 22:54.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:54   #179
Jankrow
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHortonArt View Post
Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team, thanks for the concerns. Crystal and Eidos Montreal made a game we are proud of and we appreciate the overwheling number of positive reviews and fan feedback. We're looking forward to the Game Awards next week where we are nominated for Best Action Adventure and Best Performance for Camilla. Wish us luck, hopefully it's just the beginning of the recognition Tomb Raider and Lara Croft receives this year. It's cool to see her on top again for the second game in a row. We're all fans and for me it's been the honor of my career to be a part of such a fantastic legacy. Next year 20th Anniversary!
With the risk your bosses have put your work at re commercial success, I think game awards should be the least of your concerns. But good luck. You guys did very well from what I've read. I wouldn't know personally, since I'm one of those your bosses shut out. But I don't hold you guys responsible. You did what you were supposed to and made a high quality game, and this deal wasn't your decision. I know if it were, we'd all be enjoying the game now, on all platforms.

Last edited by Jankrow; 28-11-15 at 22:59.
Jankrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 23:00   #180
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Well if this is the final game of the franchise, at least the series has ended on something of a high and remembered fondly by critics on the whole.
Well said.

Quote:
Best Performance for Camilla.
Totally deserved!

Quote:
Next year 20th Anniversary!
Oh, waiting to see what you guys have stored for us.