Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-03-18, 18:40   #31
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
If you want less ammo and resources than pick up less ammo and resources.
You won˙t have less ammo cause the devs want the game to be for everyone, including the ones that are not that good at third person shooters as others.
Need to loot the bodies for salvage and technical parts for weapon upgrades and it picks up ammo and other resources as well and I don't feel like making it to Kitezh with 0% complete Revolver and crap weapons

Last edited by Athukraz; 13-03-18 at 18:43.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 19:02   #32
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Need to loot the bodies for salvage and technical parts for weapon upgrades and it picks up ammo and other resources as well and I don't feel like making it to Kitezh with 0% complete Revolver and crap weapons
Too bad for you.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 19:24   #33
Athukraz

Quote:
Too bad for you.
Boom.

Anyway, about adding stuff, I'd like to see other supernatural creatures, more types in a single game or just 1 type that is very different from the Stormguard and the Deathless Ones in the previous 2 games. They were both so similar
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 05:28   #34
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
If you want less ammo and resources than pick up less ammo and resources.
You won˙t have less ammo cause the devs want the game to be for everyone, including the ones that are not that good at third person shooters as others.
What the hell? Then you're not playing the game properly. It's not up to the player to reinvent a game's intended playthrough. It should be mandatory for the player to experience a game the way the devs intended.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 11:39   #35
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
What the hell? Then you're not playing the game properly. It's not up to the player to reinvent a game's intended playthrough. It should be mandatory for the player to experience a game the way the devs intended.
Really?
So lets see:
Dark Soul 3 is a game where the enemies drop souls when they die and you even find items that gives you souls. There are even pieces of equipment that if you wear makes enemies drop more souls. These souls are used to level up your character to make it more powerful to become easier to face enemies.
I guess that is the game intended playthrough but some players are reinventing this it seems. They beat every single boss in the game using a lvl 1 character from start to finish. I guess DS 3 devs are very mad right now.

Getting back to Rise now.
It is not mandatory to pick every piece of ammo and resources. If it was than Lara would have done it automatically.
Another things is that both TR reboots gives you 4 weapons: a bow, a shotgun, a rifle and a pistol. So the game intention is that you use all this weapons in combat but I remember I saw one or two playtrough on youtube where they beat TR 2013 using the bow only.

Oh and I am not a fan of it but speedruners are breaking a game intended playthrough more than anyone else.

There is no such thing as playing the game properly. You can play a game the way you want if the game allows you that.
Old 14-03-18, 12:21   #36
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
I agree with Costel on this. Rise, particularly the combat sections and upgrade system is designed specifically to allow players to taylor gameplay to their preferences. The way you handle stealth or guns blazing or a combination, the weapon choices plus the survival/hunter/brawler upgrades. And then there is the optional side, from tombs, side missions, 1 billion collectables. The story is linear, but your progression through the game isn't. Of course you can max out on everything if you wish but you can take a preferred style and stick with it. I'm not familiar with how other games handle this kind of game play, so can't compare to how well it's done, however.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 17:59   #37
Linoshi Croft

I think not having the exact same main plot as the game before it would be a good start.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 18:09   #38
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I think not having the exact same main plot as the game before it would be a good start.
So Rise had the exact main plot like TR 2013?
Old 14-03-18, 18:20   #39
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
So Rise had the exact main plot like TR 2013?
So, you don't think the main plot points are similar at all?

I mean come on, the ending of Rise was basically the same as Tomb Raider's. Plus, they could of taken a completely different spin with the concept of immortality but instead they did the whole undead army thing again. Yes, they gave it a fresh coat of paint with a different 'myth' but it's essentially the same.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 18:29   #40
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I agree with Costel on this. Rise, particularly the combat sections and upgrade system is designed specifically to allow players to taylor gameplay to their preferences. The way you handle stealth or guns blazing or a combination, the weapon choices plus the survival/hunter/brawler upgrades. And then there is the optional side, from tombs, side missions, 1 billion collectables. The story is linear, but your progression through the game isn't. Of course you can max out on everything if you wish but you can take a preferred style and stick with it. I'm not familiar with how other games handle this kind of game play, so can't compare to how well it's done, however.
Yes, and the way it's designed is repetitive, not challenging, nor rewarding.

In my opinion the XP should be ditched, and the weapon upgrade system. Lara should find weapon attachments, and apply them to the weapons. Maybe she finds an extended mag clip, or makes a suppressor that breaks after a few shots.

I love the thought of crafting, but the upgrade system is lazy when compared to other games.

By crafting maybe 1 arrow at a time makes the shot more satisfying and rewarding, if they make it one shot kill (head and chest) then it was worth the hard work of finding and crafting resources from the environment.

I always compare Tomb Raider to TLOU. Every shot should count, and being forced to be stealthy if low on ammo, or being stealthy to reserve ammo is much more rewarding to the player.

My newest example is Resident Evil 7. It's a survival/horror, sure, but the gameplay is intense because of the scarcity of resources. It also promotes the idea to scavenge for ammo, and health. The player feels they need to in order to survive.

As for you point on player choice, I disagree. You HAVE to go into cover or you will die, in fact there's an autocover system in the game, and it's actually done poorly. It's not like Uncharted were you can blind fire, or creep up. It's gun's blazing in line of fire, or cowering like a lil bitch until the enemy needs to reload.

The player choice should consist of wasting ammo and resources or reserving for future boss battles. Also another thing I must point out is Rise and 2013RB are made with the bow in mind. In fact it's almost forced upon you. The handguns are crap, the shotguns work at close range, which you cannot do, or you'll get sprayed. Far too many enemies have helmets, and the machine gun is as awful and sounds like a pen clicking.

To conclude the general consensus is that we want more Tombs, more puzzles and less combat. This is a way to solve that issue. Make the encounters harder, but put less in the game.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote