www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 09-10-18, 22:27   #171
LGG_PRODUCTION
Explorer

Wooow, that's a really great news
When will you release an update of TR5Main?
Are you planning to port TR4 and TRNG vehicles too?
Old 10-10-18, 09:54   #172
A_De
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
Here I am with some news for you

Main concept
This project was born as a side project, just for fun, then it became a really complex and complete project. Why I'm using TR5 instead of TR3? Apart legal considerations, TR5 has some modern effects lacking from TR3, some interesting enemies and traps, the engine itself is more modern than TR3.

Enemies and traps
After weeks of decompilation, I've implemented those enemies and traps:
  1. TR1: Wolf, Bear, Ape
  2. TR2: Barracuda, Shark,Spinning blade, Killer statue, Springboard, Mouse
  3. TR3: Tiger, Cobra, Raptor, Tyrannosaur, Scuba diver, Eagle, Crow, Tribesman with ax, Tribesman with darts, Spikey wall, Quad
  4. TR4: Wild board, Small scorpion, Big scorpion, Bat, Baddy 1, Baddy 2, SAS, Mummy, Four blades floor, Four blades ceiling, Catwalk blade, Plinth blade, Seth blade, Chain, Plough, Cog, Spikey ball, Skeleton
More are coming

Scripting
LUA is officially part of TR5Main. I've added a new trigger, called LUA_SCRIPT, that can execute complex pieces of LUA code inserted directly inside Tomb Editor. Additionally, each item and level will have events (onCreate, onControl, onDeath) for complex actions and puzzles. Also the script.dat and english.dat files are trashed, replaced by LUA scripts.

Renderer
Currently almost 80% of the renderer is rewritten. I'm using a deferred rendering approach capable of handling many lights at good framerate. The new renderer is fully DX9.

Audio
Lwmte has rewritten the sound sybsystem, now we are using bass.dll and we have full reverberation support finally
These things are amazing! The last one sounds like music to my ears already

Guess you wouldn't mind of a few questions?
1. Will you make a reference to LUA APIs used in editor and engine? Because of not that many people here are real programmers, such thing would be necessary. I.e. sample functions about how to make a certain thing to happen and which values have certain meaning. Like, enemy's slot, HP of that enemy, state-id or other behavior flags, etc.
2. Will the enemies be able to respawn? I think it is often better way for them to appear via scripted trigger rather than putting the enemies to map directly.
3. If the statics' visual geometry can be imported and then merged to room geometry, then we'll have to only add the collision items to the map, is this correct?
4. What is about different char-set support? Will it support other symbols than West-European?
Old 10-10-18, 17:52   #173
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:

Main concept
This project was born as a side project, just for fun, then it became a really complex and complete project. Why I'm using TR5 instead of TR3? Apart legal considerations, TR5 has some modern effects lacking from TR3, some interesting enemies and traps, the engine itself is more modern than TR3.

Enemies and traps
  3. TR3: Tiger, Cobra, Raptor, Tyrannosaur, Scuba diver, Eagle, Crow, Tribesman with ax, Tribesman with darts, Spikey wall, Quad
  4. TR4: Wild board, Small scorpion, Big scorpion, Bat, Baddy 1, Baddy 2, SAS, Mummy, Four blades floor, Four blades ceiling, Catwalk blade, Plinth blade, Seth blade, Chain, Plough, Cog, Spikey ball, Skeleton
More are coming

Scripting
LUA is officially part of TR5Main. I've added a new trigger, called LUA_SCRIPT, that can execute complex pieces of LUA code inserted directly inside Tomb Editor. Additionally, each item and level will have events (onCreate, onControl, onDeath) for complex actions and puzzles. Also the script.dat and english.dat files are trashed, replaced by LUA scripts.

Renderer
Currently almost 80% of the renderer is rewritten. I'm using a deferred rendering approach capable of handling many lights at good framerate. The new renderer is fully DX9.

Audio
Lwmte has rewritten the sound sybsystem, now we are using bass.dll and we have full reverberation support finally
Nice! It seems TR5Main is aiming to be the ultimate TR engine for custom levels!

Just a question: I'm assuming the TR2 and 3 enemies and objects came from the leaked source code, but was that useful for finding the sections of code in the other games?
Old 10-10-18, 20:02   #174
LGG_PRODUCTION
Explorer

I hope one day I can use also the vehicles that I can use right now (Jeep, motorbike, motor boat, rubber boat and kayak)
Vehicles are some of my favourite objects in TRs
Old 11-10-18, 16:37   #175
MontyTRC
Historian

There will be a reference for APIs of course
Respawn will be possible. Just place a script like this on item death (just random code, I need to think more about this):

if Locals:numRaptors < 100 then
raptor = CreateItem();
raptor:Set(OBJECT_NUMBER, ID_RAPTOR);
raptor:SetPosition(TR:rand(), 0, TR:rand());
EnableItem(raptor);
Locals:numRaptors = Locals:numRaptors + 1;
end

I am using decompilation wherever is possible. Working with a blackbox EXE is better because I am writing my interpretation of the code.

I am not sure about charset, I need to investigate more on this
Old 11-10-18, 17:10   #176
FantaseaII
Student

Quote:
There will be a reference for APIs of course
Respawn will be possible. Just place a script like this on item death (just random code, I need to think more about this):

if Locals:numRaptors < 100 then
raptor = CreateItem();
raptor:Set(OBJECT_NUMBER, ID_RAPTOR);
raptor:SetPosition(TR:rand(), 0, TR:rand());
EnableItem(raptor);
Locals:numRaptors = Locals:numRaptors + 1;
end

I am using decompilation wherever is possible. Working with a blackbox EXE is better because I am writing my interpretation of the code.

I am not sure about charset, I need to investigate more on this
Really can't wait to try this out
Old 11-10-18, 18:53   #177
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:

Main concept

Enemies and traps
More are coming

Scripting

Renderer

Audio
Bless you Monty! This is the exact thing I need fora smooth return to trle!
and by "LUA" you mean Legend, Anniversary, Underworld scripts?
Old 11-10-18, 19:46   #178
DunHill
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
Bless you Monty! This is the exact thing I need fora smooth return to trle!
and by "LUA" you mean Legend, Anniversary, Underworld scripts?
Nope, LUA is a programming language for scripting based off C I believe it will be like the new scripting abilities of TRNG but on stero´ds

Congratulations on the progress, you're doing amazing work Monty

Last edited by DunHill; 11-10-18 at 19:48.
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-18, 23:58   #179
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Nope, LUA is a programming language for scripting based off C I believe it will be like the new scripting abilities of TRNG but on stero´ds

Congratulations on the progress, you're doing amazing work Monty
thank you DunHill.
Old 12-10-18, 19:50   #180
AriesKnight
Hobbyist

Quote:

Main concept

Enemies and traps
More are coming

Scripting

Renderer

Audio
Is AMAZING!
I have some questions about the project and if is possible add these objects/traps/enemies/special trigger.

1-Add more Death option in the Death tile in the editor with these effects:
TR1-Become gold on the Mida's hand (I don't know if is a special script).
TR3-Scrambled when touch the river in Madubu's Gorge, electrocuted when walk on the metal bridge after defeat Sophia or touch the fence in the Nevada level (with electric effect).
And if is possible, kill Lara without flame or other effects.

2-Add some traps from respective games:
TR1-Lava wall (level The Great Pyramid)
TR2-Small fan and big fan, if is possible, in multiple slots in order to use both (for example VENTILATOR1 and VENTILATOR2 slot).
TR3-A VENTILATOR3 object slot for the fan in the Thames wharf level, the subway train from Aldwich level and the crazy car from TR3 gold It's a madhouse level.

3-Set the OCB code of object SWITCHTYPE in order to have many switches in a one level like the big lever switch, small lever switch, small switch and wheel switch without having to give up one to use the other (for example in the level Wreck of Maria Doria you have the first three switches).

These are my suggestions and I hope you can achieve them.
AriesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote