Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 17-06-18, 15:58   #12461
GeekOfComedy

I have to be honest, I'm so glad the film never went there. A big cautionary tale for any writer or director or producer to include such content should just watch Red Sparrow which came out like a week before Tomb Raider. Jennifer Lawrence get's raped twice in it and it's truly disturbing. Regardless of whether the film is PG13 or R rated - it's Tomb Raider, the idea of Tomb Raider alone even like a Superhero movie can never be taken that seriously that you can respect a depiction of such content.

Even very serious award films like Room for example avoid this by neglecting the rapist and honing the story in that scenario on the Mother and her child.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-18, 16:22   #12462
Portugalraider

I think Room also "gets away" with it because we never see the act and because Joy, while still hating every time it happens, also seems already desensitized to the act after 5 years of continuous assault. It is more this almost inhibition that is shocking and not the act itself, because we never see it.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-18, 21:49   #12463
James_Rutland

I love this Lara video someone made on YouTube:

Also, everytime I hear "Gotta make decisions Lara. Got to make something happen" I imagine it's Roth

Last edited by James_Rutland; 17-06-18 at 21:52.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 01:17   #12464
Tonyrobinson

I'd love someone to make a fan edit of the film with a different tone to really amp up the more emotional and dramatic aspects of the film. They get lost some times with the sound design and pacing.

I have to say the ending of the film is phenomenal, when Lara exits the tomb and the main motif plays up until she realises it's Ana behind everything. It closes the film so well and leaves you aching for a sequel, it makes me sad to think we may not ever get one.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 18-06-18 at 01:48.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 01:56   #12465
GeekOfComedy

AT&T just bought Time Warner (WB) so now they want a BOAT LOAD of content that they can eventually put on their platforms as cinema sadly comes to an end (they say soon it'll be only 17 days before films make their way onto digital release)

And MGM just got a lower credit rating because apparently their investing now in a heap more of content so hopefully this is in our favour and if Tomb Raider made any sort of profit they will want to go a second round.

Star Trek 2 made a 2.5X multiplier of it's budget and got a third entry from Paramount so with nearly a 3x multiplier from Tomb Raider, they might want to go again.

Don't give up hope. I honestly think nothing has been killed off yet or confirmed because Roar is still very active in the franchise online tweeting about the upcoming game. I think if the game sells well and gets good reviews, that could be a deciding factor.

It's also worth noting that the first 2 Angelina films never were critical darlings so when they made the new movie they must have realised there was risk because it wasn't a critically proven concept hence it's lower end of the block buster budget of $90M but the fabulous thing about that is it doesn't need to make $500M+ to be a winner and WB got stung twice with two huge flops last year (GeoStorm and King Arthur) not to mention Kong Skull Island which barely made it due it's outrageously high production cost.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 18-06-18 at 01:58.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 07:37   #12466
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post

Don't give up hope. I honestly think nothing has been killed off yet or confirmed because Roar is still very active in the franchise online tweeting about the upcoming game. I think if the game sells well and gets good reviews, that could be a deciding factor.
I won't mind if they adapt Shadow jumping Rise, if there will be a sequel of course.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 08:29   #12467
Em20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I won't mind if they adapt Shadow jumping Rise, if there will be a sequel of course.
Actually it would make sense if they adapt that story cause in the movie Trinity wants to use Himiko's "curse" (probably to kill whoever they want, like in COL) and in Shadow they want to alter the course of humanity (to probably get rid of whoever they want for good)
Lara destroyed the weapon they coveted so now they're looking for a much more powerful weapon. So in my opinion that's the perfect story for the sequel
Em20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 08:52   #12468
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em20 View Post
Actually it would make sense if they adapt that story cause in the movie Trinity wants to use Himiko's "curse" (probably to kill whoever they want, like in COL) and in Shadow they want to alter the course of humanity (to probably get rid of whoever they want for good)
Lara destroyed the weapon they coveted so now they're looking for a much more powerful weapon. So in my opinion that's the perfect story for the sequel
You're right! Also movie Lara is much more confident than Lara at the beginning of Rise (even though she didn't go through such attocius situations, in the movie Yamatay was a piece of cake in comparison with the game).
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 09:47   #12469
Portugalraider

Honestly, I would prefer if they adapted RotTR for two reasons:
  1. Since movie Yamatai was already very jungle-like, going again for a jungle environment could be very repetitive.
  2. Adapting RoTR and then SotTR could bring something really cool thematically to Trinity: in the first movie, with Himiko's curse, they were trying to control death; With the Divine Source, they would try to control life; not being able to get control of neither life or death, they would try to create a new reality they can control with the dagger and the box.

Besides, concerning Lara, she was already much more determined in the 1st movie compared to the game, and it would definitely not be a 1:1 adaptation of the game's story. This one could be about Lara seemingly trying to avenge her father, but in reality be about getting in control of her own life: she realises, maybe after finally going to a university, that she wants to spend her life looking for the mysteries of the ancient world, without worrying about Trinity infecting her whole life. It could be about Lara reclaiming her life to herself. And when she thinks she was able to do that, but sees that she was wrong (maybe with Ana getting snipped in the end, like in the game), she gets too focused on that goal, with us getting the more obsessed Lara from SotTR in the 3rd movie.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 10:14   #12470
FanosCroft

They can make a sequel, the movie had grossed enough to make a sequel. Look at the Resident Evil franchise, they're not critical darling and it but still turned into a franchise. Why Tomb Raider can't do that? And when you think that thay have some really good plot, location, action set pieces and overall games in the reboot era to adapt from, unlike the RE franchise.
The sequel can break the video game curse if they are adapting in the right way Rise's story, ROTTR has a really good story for an action Hollywood blockbuster.

Last edited by FanosCroft; 18-06-18 at 10:17.
FanosCroft is online now   Reply With Quote