www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 22-04-17, 17:53   #11
annl
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Hm... can't say I have, because I'd have to add the crystal graphics, and currently only Fexmerger or TRViewer do that. I'd really, really like to avoid using them, cos they almost always eff something up. Basically it's a case of re-doing the same thing over and over again from scratch, until the programs finally do things right. It's really unpredictable. Though if we ever get better tools, sure, why not.

When I was trying to add weapon meshes to Nightmare in Vegas, TRViewer would replace underwater bubbles with blood, or completely bugger up Winston, or replace shotgun shells with enemy meshes (lol). I literally did the same thing from scratch 11 times until finally it didn't bugger anything up.

Or when trying to add the Eye of Isis graphics to All Hallows, Fexmerger would bugger up animated water textures.
When I did my TR2 Remixed mod, I simply replace the bubbles and blood sprite in the level file with TRViewer by extracting the same sprites from an unmodded level file and the issue was fixed.
Old 23-04-17, 08:08   #12
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Yeah, I noticed that when I first played TLA demo ages ago. Except I thought TR3 actually has a fully particle-based gunflash? Or is there a mesh in TR3 gunflash too?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 08:49   #13
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Both versions have a mesh.
In TR3 the texture is black and white so it's just colored yellow on the fly, but in TLA it is colored and different.

Left: TR3, right: TLA

Also forget about the black lines on the edges in the TR3 image, this is only due to anti aliasing, not the texture itself.

Of course both versions use (additive) transparency in game, meaning that the colors are added onto the colors in the background. So black is completely transparent.
In TLA home it looks almost exactly like the TR3 texture (except on some faces the texture is mirrored, really minor difference), but they forgot to set the texture as transparent, so the colors aren't blended, so black is black, this is why it's ugly.

In TR3 it has the advantage of being more coherent with the particles used in game.

Last edited by Joey79100; 23-04-17 at 09:04.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 09:34   #14
Delta
Historian

I noticed it in my first play too
I suppose that the TR3Gold authors simply didn't like the original gunflash XD anyway also the mesh is a little bit different: it has a lower height and it's moved respect to its origin point. Its surfaces weren't split in 2 or 4 like in TR3-4-5 so they placed a new full texture on them.
The curious thing is that in TR4/5 Core decided to keep the TR3 gunflash but with less textures (like in TR3Gold Lara's Home) and a yellow tint (that in TR3 was added by the engine)

Last edited by Delta; 23-04-17 at 09:35.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 12:58   #15
Wooxman
Professor

The TLA texture also has a higher pixel count. My guess is that the original TR III texture was limited by the PS1 version and Core didn't bother to make a separate texture for the PC version. But since TLA was only released on PC, it was possible to easily implement a more detailed texture.

That's actually kinda funny since in TR II the PS1 versions of the (gun)fire sprites look better.
Old 23-04-17, 13:09   #16
annl
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The TLA texture also has a higher pixel count. My guess is that the original TR III texture was limited by the PS1 version and Core didn't bother to make a separate texture for the PC version. But since TLA was only released on PC, it was possible to easily implement a more detailed texture.

That's actually kinda funny since in TR II the PS1 versions of the (gun)fire sprites look better.
I thought this also, someone should do a mod to port the TLA gunfire to TR3.
Old 23-04-17, 13:25   #17
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post

Probably something like that indeed.

The PS1 sprite is different in TR2?
Old 25-04-17, 13:18   #18
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
When I did my TR2 Remixed mod, I simply replace the bubbles and blood sprite in the level file with TRViewer by extracting the same sprites from an unmodded level file and the issue was fixed.
The problem was 2048 texture ID limit in TR2 (0-2047). TRViewer has this annoying habbit of changing coloured blocks to actual textures, so I was already constrained by that adding extra ~600 textures which would otherwise just be coloured blocks. In order to replace the sprites, I'd then have to remove the old ones to avoid running out of free texture IDs and crash the game. Good lord, was THAT causing problems! It would frequently crash the program itself, or it would output a 0MB level file, or make the game instacrash when loading the level.

In general, I only ever use TRViewer to take screenshots of in-game objects, or for testing stuff I mod with other tools, but even then only if it's too small to see ingame and I need to zoom in. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague. Like I said, I find it horrendously inconsistent to the point where I can do the same sequence of changes repeatedly and get different results each time lol. Still, it's the only tool that allows us to add new movables, so I had no other choice for Nightmare in Vegas, TR4 Times or some levels in TR3.

Here is what I use:
Defining new textures onto the palette --> Jack!
Adding new graphics to the texture palette --> Paint (the textures), Photoshop (transparency data), Trtexture (adding to the game), Jack! again for importing transparency data (because Trtexture always gets some transparent pixels wrong, so that just fixes it)
Editing animations --> FexAnim
Movable textures, importing models (geometry) --> PixStr
Level textures, importing room layout --> RView
Editing room layout and models --> Metasequoia
Item position --> Fexinspect SK
Adding, editing, removing triggers to/from TR1 --> TRMOD
Adding triggers to TR2 and later (at least until TRMOD starts officially supporting them) --> Win_TRSCP

But yes, if there is a better (more stable and consistent) tool in the future than TRViewer, which doesn't rebuild the whole texture palette upon saving and doesn't convert coloured blocks to textures, and which allows to define new movables, I'd use it, yeah. I'd actually go back and redo Vegas, Times, Hallows and Lara's Home both for TR3 and TLA again to get rid of those extra textures that should have been coloured blocks.

Last edited by Sardoc; 25-04-17 at 13:24.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote