Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 13-04-09, 22:02   #1
Sifo-Dyas

Wink My greatest fear all over again ...

Hey

1997 - Tomb Raider II is released. This sequel to the single most important, most groundbreakingly beautiful videogame of all time seemed to be even more beautiful, more captivatingly interesting and seemed to contain more action than any videogame before; including Wolfenstein, Doom and Pac-Man - LOL!
Two sequences in "Tomb Raider II" were truly horrifying. The spiders in China (especially the big ones) and the sharks at the bottom of the ocean. Nowadays it's quite ok to go through these levels even though the spiders are still a tad more freaky than the sharks.

2009 - Tomb Raider: Underworld is released. The instant sequel to "Tomb Raider: Legend" is thé most beautiful Tomb Raider-game éver created (especially on PC!)
But WHY ... LOL! ... WHY did the first level have to be underwater wíth sharks?!

I mean: I know I'll sound like a 14-year-old infant or something, but I was seriously scared to go down underwater and search for whatever I had to look for. I had seen this giant wallpaper of Lara Croft being surrounded by THE MOST REALISTIC VIDEOGAME-SHARKS IN HISTORY and I kept constantly balancing in the water, turning in circles, expecting some Bruce Jaws coming for me at the speed of a bullet trying to snap a piece out of those ultra-sexy legs of my Lara Croft! LOL!
Afterwards, I realized that the sharks of Tomb Raider: Underworld were a LOT less aggressive than the ones of Tomb Raider II, but I was litteraly sweating and my heart was pounding.
Even if they're were no sharks around - I was expecting an attack every single moment because of the realistic, blue looks of the water and the typical, deep-sea sounds that made the whole thing other-world-like.

Am I the only one who was a little afraid to dive down and go on search in this level?

Last edited by Sifo-Dyas; 14-04-09 at 12:04.
Sifo-Dyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 22:06   #2
tombraiderluka

Actually you sound like a 4 year old

But jokes aside, I don't find Mediterranean scary at all, it should have been swarming with sharks.
tombraiderluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 22:19   #3
Rivendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifo-Dyas View Post
Am I the only one who was a little afraid to dive down and go on search in this level?
Not at all.

I don't like deep water in the least, and when I threw Lara into the Med Sea on my first play through, seeing darkness far beneath her, I was actually a little apprehensive to dive down there.

I had no trouble at all on other playthroughs, because it's absolutely gorgeous down there, and the sharks tend to leave her alone.

The ones in Artic Ocean freak me out though, they look like dead albino great whites.
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 22:24   #4
Love2Raid

I found the first part of the Med Sea level overwhelming, what an atmosphere!

Not very scary though. The sharks in the Arctic Sea were a lot meaner.......
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 22:41   #5
GenyaArikado
Inactive

arent Spiders in Mexico?
GenyaArikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 23:16   #6
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
Not at all.

I don't like deep water in the least, and when I threw Lara into the Med Sea on my first play through, seeing darkness far beneath her, I was actually a little apprehensive to dive down there.

I had no trouble at all on other playthroughs, because it's absolutely gorgeous down there, and the sharks tend to leave her alone.

The ones in Artic Ocean freak me out though, they look like dead albino great whites.
Dead albino great whites.
I actually loved diving down there. I felt so much depth and exploration, it was a lovely experience.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 23:18   #7
Rivendell

Don't get me wrong, I loved the feeling of exploring those places - the 'Argh' feeling was a good 'Argh'.

But those damn things in the Arctic would launch themselves at Lara from behind the camera so I didn't see them coming.

*Shudders*
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 23:29   #8
Super Badnik

No. It's the Arctic Sea Sharks that scared me. There always seems to be one that comes out of nowhere as i go towards one of the statues. Plus they just look, well, scary.

Then theres the Giant Spider. I recently did a run through and i dunno why but i just felt real fear in the Lords of Xibalba Chamber. On my last playthrough i wasn't too scared, but i dunno what came over me this time around.
Super Badnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 23:30   #9
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved the feeling of exploring those places - the 'Argh' feeling was a good 'Argh'.

But those damn things in the Arctic would launch themselves at Lara from behind the camera so I didn't see them coming.

*Shudders*
Yeah, It's quite annoying. Especially on hard mode.
God thing the hammer works underwater.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 02:58   #10
TRLegendLuver

The Arctic sharks and the little spiders scared the living daylights out of me, just because they would just "pop" out of nowhere.
TRLegendLuver is offline   Reply With Quote