Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 21-08-16, 13:35   #21
Shark_Blade

♪♫ Laralicious Definitivedition make them boys go loco. ♪♫

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 14:28   #22
IncultaWolf

Nice screenshots! I might end up getting this version one day, but I really wish they would just release a patch that added in some of the new features on Steam.

Comparing these 2 versions is like comparing AoD on PC and PS2. :P
IncultaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 15:11   #23
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncultaWolf View Post
Comparing these 2 versions is like comparing AoD on PC and PS2. :P
Not really since they both look the same lol
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 15:55   #24
JayB18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
♪♫ Laralicious Definitivedition make them boys go loco. ♪♫
Basically it comes down do you want the better looking Lara Model in terms of how lighting reacts with her skin (and depending on preference her face) or better looking environments due to tesselation and better ambient occlusion, shadow quality, texture quality/filtering. Since you're looking at environments and Laras back more than anything else PC version wins for me. i dont really miss the new particle effects/dynamic foliage etc. when playing. PC actually has some extra effects like raindrops bouncing of plants and more water reflections on walls etc tha the PS4 doesn't have as well as more use of and higher quality depth of Field and Motion blur.

Last edited by JayB18; 21-08-16 at 16:15.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 18:22   #25
Shark_Blade

Exciting! More on how the Definitive Edition is the best version :

https://www.vg247.com/2013/12/18/tom...s-up-producer/

Quote:
With Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Crystal Dynamics couldn’t resist creating a new version of Lara Croft, despite the fact that the original version already represented a major makeover for the oft-refreshed leading lady.

In an Eidos Forums Q&A, executive producer Scot Amos said Crystal Dynamics is “passionate” about making “the best Lara ever”.

“Having a chance to test the waters with next-gen console tech and doing a new Lara was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up. For us, we always want to push the boundary on excellence and that means never settling,” he said.

“I’d say Lara’s looks are just the start for what we will continue to evolve for all future iterations of Tomb Raider on next-gen.”

Crystal Dynamics started off thinking it would just update Lara’s skin or add “a few extra polygons”, but once it came to terms with what was possible with next-gen hardware it decided to rework her character model entirely.
“We’re excited about both this new step in upgrading Lara with her new TressFX hair, new sub-surface scattering on skin, and overall new look,” Amos said.

All in-game characters were given a fresh for the Definitive Edition, he added, but Lara, being the star, got the “super-deluxe treatment”, and the new character model is used in all aspects of the game – cutscenes and in-game.

“We even added special materials that dynamically change for her when she wades through mud, or gets blood on her, or when in rain/wet so it ties her more into the world’s state as she goes. TressFX was custom written and optimized for Lara this first-time out for us on Next-gen as we hadn’t ever done it before on consoles,” the producer said.

“We now have a new particle system, new lighting work and enhanced shadow-casters, tons of more visual storytelling elements (more debris, more details on walls, more density in the environment for vegetation),” he added.

“A few of our engineers were dedicated to improving physics both on Lara and in the world. A few quick examples – Lara has equipment on her that she acquires as she goes through her adventure. The climbing axe, her radio, her bow and a quiver of arrows, etc. All of these now have subtle but simulated physics on them so as she runs, jumps, falls, stumbles, they react accordingly giving her more grounding the world.

“Then the world itself – we added so many objects, plants, trees, and then wind and weather effects that also have physics simulation built into them to react with each other. Wind will make trees and leaves sway or flutter; cloth flaps against light or heavy winds accordingly; particles and Lara’s TressFX hair will drift according to the directional wind impact. All-in-all it adds a great additional depth and realism to the world.”

PS4 version's frame rate runs at 1080p.

The PC version of Tomb Raider was already pretty special, with lots of bells and whistles on top of the console versions such as TressFX and PhysX. Many of these enhancements, which did not appear in the PS3 and Xbox 360 release, will be in the Definitive Edition.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 18:47   #26
larafan1996

There are some nice additions in the def edition on top of the pc version base but not enough to be better for me. Def edition lara is only best if you just watch still screen shots, in motion she isn't fitted to the animations properly like the original model was which makes her look uncanny and robotic. That's before you even go into things like resolution, framerate, tessellation and anti aliasing which the def edition can never hope to keep up with on the fixed hardware platforms of ps4/xbox one.
larafan1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 19:46   #27
Zhyttya

For me Definitive Edition is horrible.
Lara has no soul on that version.

You might see her eyes better but that doesn't make it the best version for me.
PC ultra settings FTW
Zhyttya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-16, 22:34   #28
IncultaWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Not really since they both look the same lol
IncultaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-16, 00:05   #29
SuperDeadite

PC. Higher res, silky smooth framerates, and is absolutely mind blowing if you have a 3D Vision setup.
SuperDeadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-16, 00:44   #30
ShutUpReyes

I really prefer the face on the PC/PS3/X360 version than the DE. Her expressions look far better and unlike in the DE her forehead doesn't look huge. Her DE face reminds me of when I try to make ridiculous looking Dragon Age characters and put the eyes as low as they can go.

Bar the face though, the DE is by far the way to go. Especially on PS4 with the higher frame rate and the way the PS4 controller light bar and speaker were utilised. I.e. when using the torch, the light bar flashed red and orange. When someone spoke on the radio it came through the speaker (which I hear is in ROTTR PS4 too) and when firing the bow, you would hear Lara pulling it on the controller. Great wee additions.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote