www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 16-01-18, 04:48   #31
domino92
Relic Hunter

While I'm sure Horizon Zero Dawn is a fine game, it looks so bland and blazé it looks like its a generation behind the times. If it wasn't for the impressive tech behind it no one would care.
Old 16-01-18, 05:07   #32
HD Simplicityy
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
While I'm sure Horizon Zero Dawn is a fine game, it looks so bland and blazé it looks like its a generation behind the times. If it wasn't for the impressive tech behind it no one would care.
Its far from that. Why do you think so?
Old 16-01-18, 05:32   #33
Isaac
Relic Hunter

^ Yeah.

The game is colorful, the dawn sky are pink and reddish, it's full of lush and vegetation, it's really contrasted and colorful. Maybe you dislike the art direction, it happens, but I wouldn't use "bland" as an adjective when RoTTR is fifty shade of grey with snow.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 06:19   #34
biscuits
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
^ Yeah.

The game is colorful, the dawn sky are pink and reddish, it's full of lush and vegetation, it's really contrasted and colorful. Maybe you dislike the art direction, it happens, but I wouldn't use "bland" as an adjective when RoTTR is fifty shade of grey with snow.
He's probably talking about the game as a whole, not the graphics.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 07:29   #35
Isaac
Relic Hunter

It's weird because the discussion was about the graphics though.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 09:11   #36
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetingwells View Post
Just some TR opinions

1. ROTTR was a great game and I enjoyed it immensely, but the story had its cliche moments and I expected more from CD. I long to one day see a game that is as beautiful as Rise, with a story as engrossing as AOD, and with the charm and difficulty that made the classics memorable. Perhaps I am not alone in this sentiment

2. I like Camilla as Lara. No, she's not Judith, or Jonell, or Keeley Hawes. But she's good, and I think she lends to Lara's image well. I just wish she could emulate the more aristocratic side of Lara, but I don't think CD wants that.

3. TR 2013 should have stayed a survival horror game. I was curious to see where that was going to go when the game was in development, but then they scrapped it. I thought the reboot was ok, but I still wonder what could have been.

4. ROTTR should have addressed Lara's PTSD more. What a huge letdown to not see Lara progress further as a character. Why even call it "Rise of the Tomb Raider"? What did she "rise" to, the Source? Meh..

(Aw shoot, I realized this is not TR General Chat. Oh well )
I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 16-01-18, 10:39   #37
JohnCroft25
Historian

I like Tomb Raider:Anniversary and Tomb Raider:Underworld, but I dislike Tomb Raider 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
- - Pokemon Gold and Silver are the most overrated games in the series just because the games included Kanto. Except the Kanto in these games was a shell of its former self (location sizes were heavily reduced or cut, trainer battle were underleveled, and all of the Johto Pokemon available were underleveled big time).
I agree, the 2nd generation is one of my least favorite in the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akci View Post
My controversial opinion is very generic one, that game consoles are being developed out of relevance. I know there are still some things going for them, like price, but still to me the appeal of consoles had been the simplicity. You didn't have to bother with installing the games, and patches, cracks, just put in the disc or cartridge or whatever and play. And that's it: just put in the disc and play. And that also forced developers not to release unfinished games, as there was no possibility for updates.
Now the manufacturers all jumped on the bandwagon that they want to make their consoles some sort of multimedia centers. To download and install games on them, I still can't get over this.
I agree...especially when you have a console with limited capacity, this can be a problem. I also miss the days when you just had to put the disc or cartridge and play.

Last edited by JohnCroft25; 17-01-18 at 12:35.
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 18:14   #38
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Criticism on realistic graphics in recent games maybe partially due to "uncanny valley" affects. Some research has suggested that this affect can be reduced by adding slight cartoonish features to the characterizations. It has also been suggested that it is a generational affect with younger people being affected to a lesser extent.

My unpopular opinion is that Naughty Dog has yet to write a story that has any elements of originality at all. That includes TLOU and the UC series.
Old 16-01-18, 18:33   #39
biscuits
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post

My unpopular opinion is that Naughty Dog has yet to write a story that has any elements of originality at all. That includes TLOU and the UC series.
Agreed. Their ideas are so boring and pedestrian. It's hard to believe that they're the same people that were behind Crash and the Jak series.
Good presentation can only go so far. Almost every AAA game has good production values. It's not unique to naughty dog.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 19:07   #40
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Agreed. Their ideas are so boring and pedestrian. It's hard to believe that they're the same people that were behind Crash and the Jak series.
Good presentation can only go so far. Almost every AAA game has good production values. It's not unique to naughty dog.
It might have been interesting to see what Uncharted might have been had not Sony pushed so hard for a more realistic game.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2011/0...tic-adventure/