www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 15-01-18, 19:35   #1
lance6439
Legend

Default Difference between Young Lara & Reboot Lara

Just wanted to know how people perceive Young Lara by Core & Reboot Lara. do you think they are similar? Or very different & how?
Old 15-01-18, 20:09   #2
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Well, young Core Lara, and I'm judging her based on the third level of TR5 because I don't know TR4 very well, shows an adventurous and little bit rebellious spirit, by sneaking aboard the priest's boat even though she knew they wanted her to stay out of the whole haunted Island situation. Exactly what Lara Croft ought to be, methinks...
Then later when she's about to be cut to pieces by a demon with a sword her inexperience and vulnerability is shown by a single panicked 'help me!' Simple an effective. Sometimes less is more. Unlike in that other game which beats you over the head with it's not so subtle messaging.

By the way, I think the priest from TR5 needs to return in an LC game. I like him a lot.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 20:41   #3
TR-Freak
Professor

^Keep in mind that Young Lara is 16-17-ish, while Reboot Lara is like 21-23 years old.

I actually found her voice acting in TR5 better compared to TR4, where it was just higher pitched. In TR5 sounds completely different.

Young Core Lara is very curious, especially in Ireland where she listens to the conversation between Winstoen and the Priest. She's adventurous by heart, different than Reboot Lara, which just wants to clear her father's name. She doesn't really look interested in Adventures to me.
Old 15-01-18, 20:50   #4
DVDSpike
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
^Keep in mind that Young Lara is 16-17-ish, while Reboot Lara is like 21-23 years old.

I actually found her voice acting in TR5 better compared to TR4, where it was just higher pitched. In TR5 sounds completely different.

Young Core Lara is very curious, especially in Ireland where she listens to the conversation between Winstoen and the Priest. She's adventurous by heart, different than Reboot Lara, which just wants to clear her father's name. She doesn't really look interested in Adventures to me.
I disagree, one of the themes in Rise is about Lara breaking away from this feeling that she owes her father something and starting to adventure for herself; and by the end she realizes this. The desire was always there, though. She didn't just spontaneously go to Yamatai or Syria or Sibera, there was some sort of selfish drive behind it.

-----------------------------------------

I haven't played TR4 or 5 in a long while, but I get the sense that Lara is more bold than in the reboot, she does what she wants and does whatever she can to do it. In the reboot however she does seem less so, she doubts herself a lot like when she says 'I don't think I'm that kind of Croft', in TR2013, and even in Rise she doubts herself when being compared to her father - relating yet again to how she feels with regards to her filling her self-defined shoes for him.

Last edited by DVDSpike; 15-01-18 at 20:52.
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 21:15   #5
dinne
Explorer

Young Core Lara is more rebel and unaware of risks, like an impulsive kid without responsibilities.
Young Reboot Lara is more serious, more aware of risks, like a riflessive girl with responsibilities. Just some little childish and impulsive actions are put in the story, but usually she carries also responsibilities of the others, over than her ones.

Young Core Lara gives tha basis to grow as classic Lara, that plays for sport and doesn't care of anyone else over than her own business. She is 100% independent (in a portrayed and unrealistic way of course).
Reboot Lara couldn't grow like that. I don't know what is their idea of this grown-up Lara but surely it can't be similar to classic Lara; it would be too much incoherent.

Also, if Reboot Lara is about 23, well surely Lara in Chronicles (Roma section) is closer to her as age, because in TR1 she is 27 and Rome happens before TR1. So, is Reboot Lara similar to Lara in Rome? Definetely not.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 22:52   #6
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
That's not true at all. I'm super fed up with the daddy elements in the storyline, but she does not work to clear her father's name. Actually TR'13 had nothing to do with that at all and in Rise she just admits that she herself though he was going crazy, but he trusts him now and uses his research to piece together the clues.
Old 16-01-18, 01:44   #7
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
Also, if Reboot Lara is about 23, well surely Lara in Chronicles (Roma section) is closer to her as age, because in TR1 she is 27 and Rome happens before TR1. So, is Reboot Lara similar to Lara in Rome? Definetely not.
I'm sure I remember reading that the Rome section took place only about a year maximum before the events of TR1, possibly even just a few months earlier in 1996. She certainly wasn't years younger.

We still don't have clarification as to whether the Reboot games have a floating timeline or not though. If they don't and every game *happens* at the time of release, then Reboot Lara is already in her mid-late 20s in 2018, considering she had just graduated from university in 2013 (making her at least 21 in the events of the 2013 game).

Their main difference is motivation. CORE's young Lara was driven purely by an enthusiasm for high adventure. Just like CORE's adult Lara, she lives for the thrill of it and seems to do it purely for the experience... "why not?" is her attitude. Reboot Lara's goal (at least initially) is continuing her father's research and redeeming his name. She's a lot more selfless, caring more about other peoples' safety and doesn't just go out treasure hunting for her own sake.
Old 16-01-18, 06:08   #8
fleetingwells
Hobbyist

For me, Young Lara is inexperienced, but willing to learn. She is rebellious but has some sense of what is right and what is wrong, as seen when she warns Werner in TR4 when taking the Iris in Cambodia. I think as she gets older, she becomes a bit more braver about her abilities and experience in the world, as seen when she decides to sneak into Ireland without permission from the priest (I forget his name). Over time, she becomes more cocky and tackles all sorts of adventures regardless of the consequences.

Reboot Lara is much less confident. She seems a bit aloof and reserved, and is not sure about herself until she realizes she was the most able person of her entire crew to tackle difficult situations during her stay at Yamatai Island. She was a leader and she didn't even know it at the time. It's only when she becomes engrossed in history and learning about everything that she becomes passionate and willing to go through great lengths to uncover the past.

Personally, I always felt there was a gap that was missing for reboot Lara for me to be totally convinced of that she is a Tomb Raider and that she was this whole time. It just seemed to me with all that she suffered during the events of Yamatai that she would have just gone home and stayed there, given her personality. I know she had that dad thing going on where she wanted to prove his critics wrong and the threat of the Source being in the wrong hands but.. It's hard to explain, I suppose it didn't feel very organic sometimes.
fleetingwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 06:26   #9
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Their main difference is motivation. CORE's young Lara was driven purely by an enthusiasm for high adventure. Just like CORE's adult Lara, she lives for the thrill of it and seems to do it purely for the experience... "why not?" is her attitude. Reboot Lara's goal (at least initially) is continuing her father's research and redeeming his name. She's a lot more selfless, caring more about other peoples' safety and doesn't just go out treasure hunting for her own sake.
I mostly agree with you. But reboot Lara started out doing it to sate her own curiosity and to 'make her own mark'. You can argue some of it is still in Rise.
It's in the second game where she acquired all the daddy issues.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 19:36   #10
strawberry22
Relic Hunter

Young Lara was more resilient and careless, and had an eye for adventure (which I love). Reboot Lara is doing things for the sake of her dad (yawn).