Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 07-07-17, 14:11   #41
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I wonder if (time paradoxes aside) that is what we are really... that the thoughts I am thinking now were all determined billions of years ago when the universe first started.........
From what I heard that is true on an atomic level, but not on a subatomic level... or something... I don't know, I should ask my sister who has studied physics...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 15:03   #42
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
From what I heard that is true on an atomic level, but not on a subatomic level... or something... I don't know, I should ask my sister who has studied physics...
I know what you're talking about - the probability wave function used as an explanation at the quantum level. However, that doesn't mean that we're not still in a deterministic universe because probability and / or randomness is not free-will either.

I wonder if there's an extra element to who we are because without it, according to the laws of this universe that we understand so far, free will is missing (or that's my understanding anyway). I would love to know....... Am I a conscious being experiencing the illusion of free will (in which case I should just stop fretting and watch the show) or do I have actual free will.

See how much better Legend's story is than Reboot's - look at what it's got us talking about!!
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 19:40   #43
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
See how much better Legend's story is than Reboot's - look at what it's got us talking about!!
No need to convince me there
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 23:13   #44
Wooxman

Quote:
The lack of explanation for the time travel paradox and the fact that all of this fell by the wayside in Anniversary and Underworld is part of what makes Legend's storyline the weakest in the whole series to me.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 22:02   #45
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The lack of explanation for the time travel paradox and the fact that all of this fell by the wayside in Anniversary and Underworld is part of what makes Legend's storyline the weakest in the whole series to me.
Ikr

The LAU games' story was ruined by CD not linking everything together game after game. First off you have (understandable since Legend was made first, but still) Lara in Legend not questioning evidence of a prehistoric universal civilisation, when this is supposedly years after she discovered Atlantis and a demi-God from said civilisation... then Underworld, where absolutely everything from Legend and Anniversary gets dropped in favour of some viking zombies and "Ragnarok"

How cool would Underworld have been if Lara had discovered "Avalon" (a theme introduced in Legend), which also turns out to have been the same lost civilisation that belonged to Natla and the other two?...

Maybe Lara could have gone back in time through the daises or something to when the civilisation was at it's height, or downfall... or maybe Lara caused the downfall and Natla's fall from grace in some way? This could explain Natla (low key) seeking her out in Anniversary, perhaps for twisted revenge and/or prevention of her own downfall, only for it to fail and backfire in her face.

Why didn't they play with these ideas? There's so many places they could have took it and I'm pissed about it haha.

I wanted Avalon, I got grey cave ruins, grey tarantulas and some acid.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 09-07-17 at 22:14.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 06:22   #46
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I wanted Avalon, I got grey cave ruins, grey tarantulas and some acid.
That should be printed on a t-shirt.

I'd really love to see a time travel plot where Lara visits an ancient civilisation after having seen their temples in ruins. Kinda like how you can see the same location in different times in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within: In the present everything is in ruing and nothing really works anymore, but in the past everything looks new and all the traps and stuff still work perfectly.
Old 13-07-17, 06:45   #47
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It's not that kind of time loop in which you can get stuck and have to relive the same thing over and over again. But if Amanda would've been successful in keeping Lara away from the portal or in convincing her to pull out the sword, then Lara's mother wouldn't have disappeared and Lara never would've had a reason to go on this adventure in the first place. So there are two questions: Was there ever a status quo and Amelia just pulled out the sword because she could? And what would've happened if this time loop would've been interrupted?
I think the answer to that is determinism. There was never going to be any possible outcome that could've led to Lara and Amanda not doing exactly what they did because, mathematically speaking, there really is no such thing as "free will". It was always going to happen exactly the way it did.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 08:15   #48
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think the answer to that is determinism. There was never going to be any possible outcome that could've led to Lara and Amanda not doing exactly what they did because, mathematically speaking, there really is no such thing as "free will". It was always going to happen exactly the way it did.
Yeah, probably. But it would've been great if Crystal would've continued with that concept and expanded upon it. The scene in Legend doesn't even have the feeling of being something that is meant to have deeper meaning. There certainly are games with mind-blowing scenes that are thought-provoking, but this one isn't really one of them since it's probably not supposed to be that way.
Old 13-07-17, 18:20   #49
charmedangelin

Here is another thing they never explained in Legend, how did little Lara escape that big vast temple after her mother got zapped by the portal? She just drops her drawing and walks away. Exactly how was she located and found? We see in the future how crumbly and broken the temple was and I can only imagine how freezing cold it must have been so how did Lara so inexperienced escape that place?
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 09:44   #50
SrDanielPonces

richard probably rescued her
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote