Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-07, 23:25   #21
Ninjawitch

Default What is with Crystal Dynamics and These Centaurs?!

For over a month now, for 4 hours nearly a day, my son, and myself, have been trying and trying and trying to defeat these centaurs that can turn Lara to stone or backkick her yet they are invulnerable to attack.

His self esteem is just going down the tubes! He has every Tomb Raider game and played them all through without a problem without cheats or saved games from other fans, etc.... and got all secrets, etc.... BUT this is the first Tomb Raider i.e. "Anniversary" that is just too hard for him that it is making him on the verge of tears.

Normally I tell him to keep at it but he has tried everything, even advice to others on here he has used, but even that is failing him.

And I'm not getting him an X-Box controller just to finish off a small section of the game! That is out of the question.

In the PC version there seems to be just one and ONLY one way to kill the centaurs and that is it! No other options.

No bypass! Nothing! If you do not kill the centaurs the game is essentially over for all but the fast nimble fingered, fast reactive minded person to continue on through.

He even mapped his PC keyboard as such

MOUSE BUTTON 1 - SHOOT
MOUSE BUTTON 2 - HOLSTER/UNHOLSTER
MOUSE BUTTON 3 (MIDDLE WHEEL) - DODGE/ROLL

He has tried other nearby buttons for DODGE/ROLL as well.

Whenever she finally shoots the centaurs enough that that they power rush her and she goes into adrenaline dodge AND she gets the target lock on the centaur's head but then SUDDENLY Lara changes to the shotgun and loses target lock and then fires the shotgun! TOO LATE to stun the centaur!

Time and time again this happens!

This is insane! There is no way to disable mouse wheel cycling of weapons in the control panel. I have tried.

Me and my son refuses to use the ASDW keys for direction since they are closer to the LEFT SHIFT key whereas he is far more comfortable using the UP/LEFT/RIGHT/DOWN keys between the RIGHT CTRL and 0/INS keys.

We are nearly at our wits end and I'm about to spin this disc into a brick wall.

What got into Crystal Dynamics to map a mouse wheel with automatic weapon change and not have the ability to disengage it?

What got into Crystal Dynamics to make TWO impervious enemies fight Lara with so many button presses that it is causing both me and my son of 16 early arthritis and pain in our the joints with having to worry about shaking off the stone effect, maneuvering to keep two enemies in sight, moving to keep from getting kicked or hit. As well as keeping up with the pace of timing to pull off a dodge and aiming and then worry about your shotgun suddenly coming up! And we are not getting into the yanking of the shield and hiding behind it, etc... yet

Couldn't they have a backdoor option that allows Lara to automatically defeat the centaurs after a certain amount of time passes so one can continue on with the game or at least have a second way to defeat them outside the dodge, disorient the centaur, grapple, pull shield away then ----- lather, rise and repeat?

Just way too many moves for me or a kid to have to go through after you manage to use adrenaline dodge.

Why can't Crystal Dynamics, with all this wonder in programming can't they simply put in, as an option, a toggle of boss difficulty control where one can click on if an enemy is too tough and you can level down the degree of difficulty?

Lets say the centaurs are as they stand now is HARD level and the option to simply fire at them until she kills them like Lara did with the T-Rex is MEDIUM so EASY would be Lara can hide behind objects so as she not gets hit as much and just has to crouch to avoid being turned to stone and stay being a rock near the temple firing until the centaurs get ready to charge then Lara can target lock to the head then stun them, run out and grapple the shield away then run back behind a rock in safety and continue firing.

This all the all the while getting rid of the automatic weapon change that interferes with actions after adrenlene dodge.

Come on Crystal Dynamics how about getting a patch out to address the automatic weapon cycling after one presses the middle mouse button to activate adrenaline doge as well alter the toughness of the centaurs?

I would think that after a month, daily trying to kill the centaurs that enough is enough.

My son got all the Reliks and all the secrets up to this point and he doesn't want to lose them just so he can get a saved game to help get him pass the centaurs but lose his collection in the meanwhile.

He even got all the Reliks from last level in Midas in the flaming pillar room with the timed run, but just barely! But this level is far too much for him to complete.

Why make a game that can frustrate kids and adults alike except for those very few players that can handle all that button pressing, maintain their timing and maneuvering to get two shields away from two centaurs?!

In any future Tomb Raider games PLEASE put in a Boss Level Difficulty toggle please!

As for this game. Before my son totally gets frustrated. I'm taking him away from the game instead and taking him to play baseball or soccer where he feels he is getting somewhere!

Thanks for nothing Crystal Dynamics!
Old 20-08-07, 23:39   #22
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawitch View Post
Me and my son refuses to use the ASDW keys for direction since they are closer to the LEFT SHIFT key whereas he is far more comfortable using the UP/LEFT/RIGHT/DOWN keys between the RIGHT CTRL and 0/INS keys.
The whole point of using WASD is that they *are* next to the left shift key, which should be the roll/dodge button (it is so much easier to play the game that way). If you truly don't want to use WASD, then I suggest something like make the right ctrl button draw/holster weapons and make the right mouse button the roll/dodge key.

You probably already know that you should holster your weapons when the centaurs are about to turn you to stone (it's much easier than trying to shake the stone off). Also, I found that having the combat mode set to advanced toggle was easier for me (you might already have done that, though).

If you have any skill with moving files around on your PC, you can trick the game into being on easy mode for the centaur battle, and then turn it back to hard mode afterwards without losing your rewards. This thread explains how to do it And of course, make a back up of your save directory before you change anything.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...taur+easy+file

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 20-08-07 at 23:41.
Old 21-08-07, 00:15   #23
Eddie Haskell

I truly hope that the people from EIDOS read your post Ninjawitch. I truly do...
Old 21-08-07, 07:53   #24
Legend 4ever

I had a problem with AD but today I tried to switch the mode from MANUAL to ADVANCED TOGGLE and I can proudly say I have no problems with AD anymore.
Old 21-08-07, 08:14   #25
young Lara Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend 4ever View Post
I had a problem with AD but today I tried to switch the mode from MANUAL to ADVANCED TOGGLE and I can proudly say I have no problems with AD anymore.
same here!
I think this is the only problem, that even though you follow the instructions in the videos posted on youtube some players don't explain this part as an important setting that can change your gameplay!
Old 21-08-07, 08:38   #26
rowanlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend 4ever View Post
did the same thing, no problem ever since with AD...
after that, jus dodge them centaurs & kill 'em off...

btw i applaud u guys for stil keepin up with the game even though it's been pretty rough on u..

good luck
Old 21-08-07, 21:22   #27
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawitch View Post
For over a month now, for 4 hours nearly a day, my son, and myself, have been trying and trying and trying to defeat these centaurs.....Thanks for nothing Crystal Dynamics!
I would agree with you. The two centaur battle is the most frustrating end boss level I have ever played in Tomb Raider, especially if you find the adrenaline dodge move very tricky to acheive every time

I will not tell you have many times I had to repeat the battle till I won, but it was very difficult.

Anyway you are almost at the end of that level, so why not just skip it on the PC and insert the next level save, so you can enjoy the rest of the game

You will find the save here...
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=99029
Old 21-08-07, 21:46   #28
Brunosback

what i do is i first use either (W,A,S or D) to move then when lara is moving and it gets less noisy when the creature is near you press both space and left shift at the same time! Works like a charm for me

Last edited by Brunosback; 21-08-07 at 21:46. Reason: Spelling
Old 21-08-07, 22:10   #29
silver_wolf

are people still not getting this?? god, I did it the first time I tried. My 9-year old cousin can do it. It's not that hard!!
Old 21-08-07, 23:01   #30
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_wolf View Post
are people still not getting this??
What does that tell you? That it isn't as easy for everyone as you think. Some people excel at some things while others do not. From what I have read here perhaps the "move" was not explained in enough detail within the game for everyone to grasp it's modus operandi immediately. And even when they understand it, some find that the implementation of the "move" requires a certain dexterity and timing that do not instantly possess, but that with time and patience they could learn (I have also read about bugs, glitches and a pc speed phenomenon).

The question for these players (and for CD and EIDOS as well) is do they have the time and patience to keep going until they master this? Is this the reaction from the public that CD had in mind after they repeatedly tested this "move" in the game? Is the help in the game (manual, hints, etc) sufficient to assist the player solve this?
Closed Thread