www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 29-12-17, 18:55   #51
trbr89
Hobbyist

Default Best of the classics!

I have finished Tomb Rraider III recently, and it's currently my favourite classic TR game. They were not kidding when they said this game was TOUGH. I admit I used Stella's walkthroughs to get most of the secrets, and even to beat some levels, as I got stuck several times. However, it was an incredible journey.

I loved every single moment of TR3 . Gorgeous locations with superb level design and ambiance, tons of weapons, vehicles and secrets, one of the best classic TR games. TR3 is definitely the high point of the Core Design era, it's just so much fun! This week I finished The Lost Artifact as well, and this stand-alone expansion was even better than TR3 and overall the best "gold" game imho. Level design was even more fascinating with even deadlier traps. The new abilities such as crouching and sprinting were very welcome, greatly enhancing gameplay. My favourite level was "Sleeping with the Fishes", probably the best underwater level in the entire saga. The moment I found the sunk submarine, I swam around for some time just to contemplate the scenery.

Anyway, I highly recommend this gem for classic TR fans. It's very hard, but it's a very rewarding experience too. 9.5/10.

Last edited by trbr89; 29-12-17 at 19:02.
trbr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 02:01   #52
LaraCablara
Professor

It's my favorite but it's certainly classic Tomb Raider at its best and worse. Best location variety, vehicles, atmosphere, and length but for real some of the most confusing level design and poorly thought out puzzles and save system (for playstation players) that the series has ever seen . Would have benefited more if it played like Tomb Raider 4 with some kind of hub system and a crowbar that didn't fall on the ground after you used it.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 22:13   #53
trbr89
Hobbyist

I forgot to mention I used the patch to remove save crystals to make the game a bit more challenging. Imho, it's the way it should be played, save crystals make TR3 too easy, and there are more than enough health items during the course of the game anyway.

Last edited by trbr89; 30-12-17 at 22:15.
trbr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 23:07   #54
Nemo_91
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr89 View Post
I have finished Tomb Rraider III recently, and it's currently my favourite classic TR game. They were not kidding when they said this game was TOUGH. I admit I used Stella's walkthroughs to get most of the secrets, and even to beat some levels, as I got stuck several times. However, it was an incredible journey.

I loved every single moment of TR3 . Gorgeous locations with superb level design and ambiance, tons of weapons, vehicles and secrets, one of the best classic TR games. TR3 is definitely the high point of the Core Design era, it's just so much fun! This week I finished The Lost Artifact as well, and this stand-alone expansion was even better than TR3 and overall the best "gold" game imho. Level design was even more fascinating with even deadlier traps. The new abilities such as crouching and sprinting were very welcome, greatly enhancing gameplay. My favourite level was "Sleeping with the Fishes", probably the best underwater level in the entire saga. The moment I found the sunk submarine, I swam around for some time just to contemplate the scenery.

Anyway, I highly recommend this gem for classic TR fans. It's very hard, but it's a very rewarding experience too. 9.5/10.
I agree with all of this. I now know every secret by memory and it feels good lol. While I do think TR3 is the 'hardest', I feel like TR4 is the more confusing, because of the hub system (especially Cairo, ugh).

I actually completed Lost Artifact this week for the first time too. Sleeping with the Fishes is definitely the best swimming level in the classics. I loved the dolphins. My other favorites were Highland Fling and Shakespeare Cliff.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote