Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 14-07-07, 11:57   #1
fallenangle

Default RX-Tech Mines - no medipack run

I did an all secrets/no medipack run on TR3 (PS) some time ago and was fairly certain that it was impossible to complete the RX-Tech Mines unless you used the under-water save 'cheat' with the diving bell/pull out/swim to exit area.

Is this correct? If so what is the minimum medipack use needed. I thought it was one large one but I think that if some previous drop damage could be avoided you could do it with just a small one.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-07, 23:14   #2
burninglight

I think when we did the no-scratch challenge we had no problems with this. quite a while ago though now
burninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 06:52   #3
SoulReaver74

I've only ever managed to complete this level using the minimum of 2 large medi pack's due to the underwater section, countless times i've attempted it and always take a beating due to the extreme cold eating away at her health.
SoulReaver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 23:11   #4
DREWY

To do this no scratch you save while underwater and then reload. This resets the exposure meter. Antarctica is much easier on the PC compared to the PS. Been a while but I think you could get away with a small health pack if you are quick enough.
DREWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 06:41   #5
SoulReaver74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWY View Post
To do this no scratch you save while underwater and then reload. This resets the exposure meter. Antarctica is much easier on the PC compared to the PS. Been a while but I think you could get away with a small health pack if you are quick enough.
I've only ever played TR III on PS so never had the luxury of infinite saves, but i think your right, with sheer persistance and pratice i think i could complete this section with a small medi pack, will let you know, i'm currently getting the fourth artifact in London so will reply soon.
SoulReaver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 13:44   #6
fallenangle

Sorry to necro-post but I re-found this thread whilst doing a 'no damage' run. Actually I've come to conclusion is would be better to call such attempts as minimal damage runs.

I've not arrived at that last swim in the RX Tech Mines yet but I'm fairly sure it can be completed without any medipack or using the underwater save exploit. Whether it can be done with no health loss remains to be seen.

Where the problem is as regards using a health pack is how much damage you take earlier in the level. If you don't go for one of the secrets you'll avoid some significant drop damage, which is otherwise apparently unavoidable. But there is also a necessary hang drop on the middle mine cart area which causes damage. You can minimise it of course but the damage is significant enough to make that final swim without using a health pack marginal.

In short: even on just a no medipack attempt you have to treat this level as you would if it was a no damage run.
Old 13-01-18, 13:56   #7
thewolf
Golden

Yes , it is possible to survive the swim without a medipack, but this needs a perfect angle and swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=676t6prZN1o

Skip to 3:28:44
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 14:10   #8
akci

You can finish the level with 32.7% remain, perfectly legally and with all pickups.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 16:39   #9
fallenangle

That's good to know thanks.

Another question: I've just been messing around in the RX Tech Mines wondering if it was possible to collect the first two secrets without the fall damage? I went at it from the reverse direction and found it is possible, using an ordinary jump, to get from the lowest mine cart level onto the middle one.

That means you can backtrack to access the upper mine cart track level double secret area with the door opened from having done the middle section and used the switch first.

You could also do that if you had not opened the door but get permanently stuck in that area as there appears to be no legitimate way of exiting if that door is not opened.

Is that correct?

Also: being able to access the middle mine cart track means you can get to the start of the area on foot where the flamethrower guy is killing the mutant.

That means you could kill both and get all kills which you can not do if you arrive by the mine cart. I'd swear that in the PS version the guy is in a different position and there is enough time. But in the big box PC TR3/TLA I'm using the mutant is dead before Lara has even had a chance to get out of the mine cart.

However the on foot shortcut to the middle track also appears to trap you permanently there too. There's no cart and you can not get back along the track either way apparently.

I was wondering if you played the whole middle mine cart section, collected the crowbar etc but had accessed it by the shortcut from the lower track if, when you returned, a mine cart would have 'magically' appeared.

It is a bit disappointing that if you are really trapped either way that there was no solution built into the design. It is moderately tricky to do the connecting jump and not everyone is going to find it. Providing an alternative 'expert' difficulty route between the three mine cart levels would have provided an interesting addition to the level.
Old 13-01-18, 17:06   #10
akci

That post made me smile. It's nice to see others think alike, years ago when played this game no-scratch I went through the same investigations and arrived to the same conclusions. There's nothing I can add to your findings, all exactly correct. (including the 0.5% damage in Antarctica in the other thread)
Of course with bug usage it'd be a different story. As for the missed kill there, I played on PC, if there's a difference on the PS version that might worth investigating.
Somehow I had the impression that you're playing on PS now, maybe you've said something about it in an earlier post. Anyway, since you're playing on PC it is worth noting that the 32.7% apparent health status at the end of the level is PS only, because it involves taking the crystal. Lara absorbs the crystal just before she starts taking damage from the freezing water, so she gets back to 100% there. Of course the total health loss on the level remains the same. However, you can also avoid the crystal, but that costs a bit of extra time spent in the water, means 6% extra health loss, so you finish at either 26.7% with crystal avoided, or 53% with crystal taken but health loss minimized.
Perhaps needless to say, but my figures assume perfect executions, as is fitting for no-scratch (or minimal-scratch) gameplay.

Last edited by akci; 13-01-18 at 18:41.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote