www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 17-10-17, 18:11   #11
Costel
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
So you only focus on the main plot without exploring and your main complaint then is the lack of exploration?
I am complaining about the lack of exploration existent in the main plot. When you focus on the main plot the game main element is the combat. You get short platforming sections between waves of enemies and some short puzzles thrown here and there.
TR 2013: 20% puzzles, 20% platforming, 60% combat.
Old 25-10-17, 00:30   #12
Kapu
Professor

Combat is undoubtedly the driving force in TR2013. Even before you enter a tomb, you know at some point a hoard of enemies is going to ambush you and drive you away. Like you said, there is nothing to explore in the story campaign. All of the exploration happens at your own leisure, while playing in the hubs. Crystal incorporated a lot of fun things into TR2013, but almost everything was optional. I think that's the status quo in this AAA gaming environment. The devs are tasked with building a game that appeals to the largest possible group of gamers, so for example, by putting in puzzles (secret tombs) but making them optional, the players who don't want to solve puzzles don't have to but they're still there for the players who do. As you perfectly described, it's a lackluster compromise in terms of story because none of the challenging stuff has any bearing on the plot or progression of said story.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-17, 12:47   #13
dinne
Explorer

I have replayed it recently on PS3 and as "flow" of the actions I can agree. The concept is, in my opinion, copied from Uncharted, because the first title (out in 2007) had this very tedious repeating progress for the whole game: jump, climb, combat; always and constantly. TR2013 follows the same flow but it adds much more optional areas and collectibles, and in general more variety as filler for the game experience.
(Or, maybe Crystal didn't literally copied from Naughty Dog; maybe they simply followed the same statistics, showing "what would have sold more copies").

What imposes the dynamic of non-exploration is basically the strong linearity. You never need to find out objects to unlock a door ecc. In the classics, the non-linearity was set up by the needing of collecting several key objects to proceed, or, to pull levers here and there. For example, 2 keys are needed for a door, or maybe a timed lever that allows you to reach a door after you opened another one ecc ecc.
This dynamic doesn't exist in any way in the reboot, so it has a very linear path. It's not that Crystal is unable to do it, because in LAU there are some non-strictly-linear areas; I can think to Mexico in TRU, where you have multiple paths to go with the motorbike (in random order if I'm not wrong); and Natla Mines in TRA where you have to find 3 pieces to move the crane (again in random order if I'm not wrong). So they actually chosen to build up a linear gameplay for the reboot. I think that on their view this isn't a flaw... Overall, this allows the game to be played by more users and so to sell more copies, even to the users that don't take this game seriously but just want to proceed and to see awesome scenes because they're bored.
There are some puzzles that are needed to proceed but they still don't require exploration because they happen in the same room, over than being very easy.

Anyway, my favourite challenges in TR2013 and ROTTR are the ones that make you observe all the possible areas, like finding all the mines in the beach and all those posters with the red sun; and in ROTTR all the russian propaganda manifests. I liked them because they made you explore all the single areas starring from different points of view, and they weren't spreaded only in one single room but in the whole big area.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-17, 17:02   #14
Costel
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
I have replayed it recently on PS3 and as "flow" of the actions I can agree. The concept is, in my opinion, copied from Uncharted, because the first title (out in 2007) had this very tedious repeating progress for the whole game: jump, climb, combat; always and constantly. TR2013 follows the same flow but it adds much more optional areas and collectibles, and in general more variety as filler for the game experience.
(Or, maybe Crystal didn't literally copied from Naughty Dog; maybe they simply followed the same statistics, showing "what would have sold more copies").

What imposes the dynamic of non-exploration is basically the strong linearity. You never need to find out objects to unlock a door ecc. In the classics, the non-linearity was set up by the needing of collecting several key objects to proceed, or, to pull levers here and there. For example, 2 keys are needed for a door, or maybe a timed lever that allows you to reach a door after you opened another one ecc ecc.
This dynamic doesn't exist in any way in the reboot, so it has a very linear path. It's not that Crystal is unable to do it, because in LAU there are some non-strictly-linear areas; I can think to Mexico in TRU, where you have multiple paths to go with the motorbike (in random order if I'm not wrong); and Natla Mines in TRA where you have to find 3 pieces to move the crane (again in random order if I'm not wrong). So they actually chosen to build up a linear gameplay for the reboot. I think that on their view this isn't a flaw... Overall, this allows the game to be played by more users and so to sell more copies, even to the users that don't take this game seriously but just want to proceed and to see awesome scenes because they're bored.
There are some puzzles that are needed to proceed but they still don't require exploration because they happen in the same room, over than being very easy.

Anyway, my favourite challenges in TR2013 and ROTTR are the ones that make you observe all the possible areas, like finding all the mines in the beach and all those posters with the red sun; and in ROTTR all the russian propaganda manifests. I liked them because they made you explore all the single areas starring from different points of view, and they weren't spreaded only in one single room but in the whole big area.

I actually liked the puzzles in the main story. They were not hard but still required a bit of thinking. Because I don˙t believe people that claim that they knew how to do solve the puzzle the moment they enter the puzzle room.