Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

View Poll Results: Newcomer thread or subforum?
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor thread for newbies would be good, in TRLE subforum. 6 16.67%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor thread for us would be good, in TRLE subforum. 1 2.78%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor OPEN subforum for newbies would be good. 21 58.33%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor OPEN subforum for us would be good. 7 19.44%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for newbies would be good. 1 2.78%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for newbies would be good. 0 0%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-18, 05:47   #11
AkyV

As far as I remember that was transformed into Software Development section, being empty (?), about two-three years ago.
Don't we have newcomers? Or are they shy even to ask?

Last edited by AkyV; 02-07-18 at 05:51.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 12:13   #12
Titak

Not sure if Tenderfoot is still out there somewhere, but it was created back in the time when newbies were treated with a lot less tolerance than these days.
It was closed once the attitude towards newbies changed to a very positive attitude, rendering Tenderfoot obsolete.

So instead of bringing the old Tenderfoot back to the surface, I'd say we go for a totally fresh subsection.
Name can be the same if needed (I like the name), but it should be empty when it goes live.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 12:23   #13
Dustie

As good as this seems I'm afraid it might end up becoming a dead thread/section, because most people aren't usually so keen on patiently explaining everything to newbies... but I might be wrong.

I would be more in favor of making a beginner's tutorial, but since we already have a tutorial section and it seems very rich, I guess the best we can do now is make the thread for newbies (making a separate section increases the risk of it becoming abandoned, I think).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 12:37   #14
Caesum

Personally I think the only really worthy option is to make a Q&A subforum for all the questions, regardless if they are advanced or basic. Personally I really don't see the reason why one should be separated from another, especially since we never really specified what is considered basic (TRLE/TREP?*) or advanced (TRNG?*). Also, if we have more advanced people asking questions rather than newbies, then advanced users should have higher priority too. That's why personally I believe both newbies and advanced users should be able to ask questions and answer them in the same subforum, without separating them into basic/advanced.

* - And then again some things are easier to do in TRNG than in TRLE and vice versa. Some features of TRNG might be hard to understand, but then again some new tweaks might be far easier to use than TRLE's original methods etc. You get my point.

Even though I'm not entirely happy with the poll options, I decided to vote "I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor OPEN subforum for newbies would be good" since it's the nearest one to something I would like to see here.

HIDDEN/PASSWORDED options seem completely unnecessary and will one make the subforum completely abandoned I think.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 13:18   #15
Joey79100

^
You actually voted "I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for newbies would be good." though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
As good as this seems I'm afraid it might end up becoming a dead thread/section, because most people aren't usually so keen on patiently explaining everything to newbies... but I might be wrong.
Well, with a chat, you'd have to re-explain the same things over and over again cause the previous answers would have been lost in the thread already. Having a dedicated section with specific threads for each problem however, would make it easy to find a question and its answer, and if someone opens a new thread for a question that has already been asked in a another thread we just need to point him to that thread, cause it will be easy to find now.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 18:03   #16
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Name can be the same if needed (I like the name),
Sounds good.
Old 02-07-18, 19:02   #17
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
^
You actually voted "I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for newbies would be good." though.
Oh ****... Can someone fix this for me?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 20:44   #18
not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Personally I think the only really worthy option is to make a Q&A subforum for all the questions, regardless if they are advanced or basic. Personally I really don't see the reason why one should be separated from another, especially since we never really specified what is considered basic (TRLE/TREP?*) or advanced (TRNG?*). Also, if we have more advanced people asking questions rather than newbies, then advanced users should have higher priority too. That's why personally I believe both newbies and advanced users should be able to ask questions and answer them in the same subforum, without separating them into basic/advanced.

* - And then again some things are easier to do in TRNG than in TRLE and vice versa. Some features of TRNG might be hard to understand, but then again some new tweaks might be far easier to use than TRLE's original methods etc. You get my point.

Even though I'm not entirely happy with the poll options, I decided to vote "I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor OPEN subforum for newbies would be good" since it's the nearest one to something I would like to see here.

HIDDEN/PASSWORDED options seem completely unnecessary and will one make the subforum completely abandoned I think.
I've voted for open newbie subforum, but this would have been my preferred option as well.

I'm sure having to answer the same newbie questions over and over is tedious, but the best way to prevent this is to make the info that is already out there more easily obtainable.

Currently you can get answers to most of the basic questions / problems via google search if there is a thread dedicated to the topic (usually one of the tutorial threads on this forum), but the more niche or in depth questions that are covered in the chat threads are pretty much lost to any newcomers because the chat threads don't show up in google searches.
And the forums search function is a feature that was not really developed with that kind of research in mind.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 21:22   #19
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Oh ****... Can someone fix this for me?
No. We will keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
I've voted for open newbie subforum, but this would have been my preferred option as well.
The general question subforum option was rejected by the forum leadership. Too many threads should be removed, making mess and disturbance - just only one reason. Honestly, good luck to convince Justin that it is not right. (Not that I declined his reasons.)
Old 02-07-18, 21:26   #20
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
The general question subforum option was rejected by the forum leadership. Too many threads should be removed, making mess and disturbance - just only one reason. Honestly, good luck to convince Justin that it is not right. (Not that I declined his reasons.)
so in theory you can have a subforum for newbie and another one for expert builders but not for both? ew
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote