Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 18-08-17, 22:45   #91
Opaque79

I remember extracting TR3 doors once and they worked with sound without any issue - just converting the level file.

Here's how the sounds came after extracting the doors.

TR3 sounds do the same thing and I didn't have to convert them.

Apologies for this. I am so confused.

Basically, the sounds were extracted with the object.

EDIT: When using the level converter, the converter looks for those specific 4 files so I can't move or rename them.

Last edited by Opaque79; 19-08-17 at 00:21.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 07:05   #92
TombGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
I remember extracting TR3 doors once and they worked with sound without any issue - just converting the level file.

Here's how the sounds came after extracting the doors.

TR3 sounds do the same thing and I didn't have to convert them.

Apologies for this. I am so confused.

Basically, the sounds were extracted with the object.

EDIT: When using the level converter, the converter looks for those specific 4 files so I can't move or rename them.
this was one of the main problems i had in my first level, but hopefully I learned to fix it.
Your problem should be 'tick sounds', right? Or strange sounds in general lik this?:

If you have one of those two problems, then you have to follow this:

First of all, you should know that any sound you want to add should replace another existing one, or else it won't work. So rename that TR1 sounds into another sound file name that you won't use.

Second, you want to add sounds to the door to let those play in game.
Open your wad in Wadmerger, select the door in question, and press 'animation editor'.
Click Sound>add sounds. Then check all the sounds you wanted to apply on that door.

Finally, look at the bottom and choose the opening animation. Then look up: find the small button with '0101 1011' called editAnimcommands. Here choose play sound, then put the frame you want it to startx then choose the sound you addee before, and then choose if it can be heard always, only on land or only in water.

That's it! Repeat the process on the closing animation.

Congrats! Test it ingame

Last edited by TombGuardian; 19-08-17 at 07:09.
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 12:47   #93
Opaque79

That didn't work, the door still has no sound. All the other sounds are fine, no messed up sounds like you're describing, just no sound from the TR1 doors.

Again, I can't move or rename the files or else the level converter gives the following error (look at the bottom of the screenshot at file not found).

It's not a major issue as the doors still work.

Thanks.

Last edited by Opaque79; 19-08-17 at 12:49.
Old 19-08-17, 12:54   #94
Raider99

Sounds can be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of them, it's quite easy to do anything you want. TombGuardian was right, it's best you just replace existing TR4 sounds and later on apply it to you object.
But there is also one more thing to check, not sure which sound did you replace or do you use Wad with custom name. Check in Sounds.txt does that sound have #g letter applied to it. It means "general" so it will play in any level, if it has, eg, "m" applied, it will activate sounds only with level assigned with "m" in SFX_Example.bat (you can right click it, edit and, as your level used custom name, rename one of the wad there to "cave" so it generates .sfx and .sam file for your level as well, right now it's probably skipped and sound doesn't work)
In WadMerger also delete any other sounds added to the object (in animation editor as TombGuardian explained), because it looks like it still has TR1 sound 64 applied in its animation and is searching for the sound but can't find it.

It is not a major issue, yes, but it's really annoying seeing people just giving up because they can't fix sound and leave object without it.

EDIT: Ok, to sum this up, what do you need to think about:
1. When you export object with sound, delete that sound from its animation via Edit AnimCommands (101010 button thing)
2. When you want to rename it and replace any TR4 sound, make sure it's in the right format (if not, you can just use TRNG > Tools 3 to convert it)
3. Now make sure your sound will be activated in YOUR level, there are 2 cases:
a) level uses original wad name that comes with LE
- go to sounds.txt and just make sure your sound has #g applied
b) level uses custom wad name
- SFX_Example will generate .sfx and .sam files (for sounds) to wads that appear in the file, and originally it's for levels that come with LE, but if you name your wad "cave" you need to add it there in order to get .sfx and .sam files for it (right click on batch file > EDIT and, for example, just rename tut1 to cave)
4. Now when you run SFX_Example.bat and it generates files, go to WadMerger > door object > open animation editor > Sounds > add the one you enabled (you can check quickly the number of it in NG Center > Reference > Sound SFX indices list
5. Now just apply it to the desired frame with EDit AnimCommands, save

Just ask anything, I got a bit confused by writing this myself, so in case you don't understand some step, it's easier to explain them one by one actually rather than writing all at once.

Last edited by Raider99; 19-08-17 at 13:13.
Raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 13:29   #95
Opaque79

It still doesn't work. Again, I have never had to do any of this, I extract an object, it works without issue. Maybe TR1 objects work differently?

Regardless, I think I am better off finding different doors.

To experiment, I extracted a TR3 door and a TRUB door - no additional steps taken, just extracted to the WAD.

The result:
TR3 door worked with sound
TRUB door had no sound

So it seems that objects from TR1 levels hove sounds that are incompatible with TR4 engine. NG_Center's Audio Converter does not fix this either.

I will find different door objects or leave the doors silent. Apologies if this bugs anyone.
Old 19-08-17, 13:32   #96
Raider99

No, you're doing something wrong. I'm using TR1 doors and they work perfectly with no issues.
But I always set sounds manually via sounds.txt and SFX_Example.bat, I don't just extract them and put in game, that can break easily.
You will learn how to use it eventually, it's really an important tool.

Last edited by Raider99; 19-08-17 at 13:35.
Old 19-08-17, 13:46   #97
Opaque79

I looked at and followed all the steps before again.

It still doesn't work and I am starting to lose patience.

I really appreciate your help but unfortunately, it's not working for me and I don't wat to stress myself out trying to fix it. Sorry
Old 19-08-17, 13:59   #98
TombGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
I looked at and followed all the steps before again.

It still doesn't work and I am starting to lose patience.

I really appreciate your help but unfortunately, it's not working for me and I don't wat to stress myself out trying to fix it. Sorry
Sorry if I ask but.... Can you make a video or something about the steps you do please? So we can understand where are you doing wrong
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 14:10   #99
Opaque79

I can't make a video that would be watchable but I will explain the steps I took.

1. I extracted the door from the TR1 CD.
2. I renamed TR1 Sound 64-0 to dr_bgsto (the general one) and added the WAD name to the SFX list, then made the sound files.
3. I checked Animation Editor and assigned the sound as shown in the steps above.
4. I converted the level file and tested it in game.

It did not do anything. The door is still silent.

Just to say, I do not extract the sound. The sound is extracted with the object.
Old 19-08-17, 14:14   #100
Raider99

^ Did you add #g to it in sounds.txt? Not sure if I have the right file, but in my case it's #q which means it will be enabled only in level with letter #q applied in SFX_Example.bat.

EDIT: Nevermind, was looking at the wrong file. You can try applying any letter to your wad in SFX_Example.bat and add it to sounds.txt. In some case #g didn't work for me, which was strange.

Last edited by Raider99; 19-08-17 at 14:18.