Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 13-01-18, 10:44   #1
dcw123

Default Simpsons new controversy. Opinions?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...176.html%3famp

What do people think about this issue. I've never had an issue with ANY Simpsons character - despite everyone of them being heavily stereotyped..
Basically from what I have heard on this new controversy - a single male complained about Apu's character (saying that he was bullied at school) and that the Simpsons must change the character to make him feel better..

I can see his point - to an extent - but I do think its a bit much to change a character after 30 years - for one person..
Whats next. Is America going to complain because Homer is fat and stereotyping them?
Are people with a croaky voice going to be upset over Marge, Patty and Selma?

Its one of those Political Correctness things that can snowball.. where does it stop?

Luckily I no longer watch the show.. the new ones suck!
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 10:49   #2
Mad Tony

It's ridiculous. The Simpsons plays on basically every stereotype around, including Americans. People need to get a grip.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 10:51   #3
irishhips

Sound like this person is looking for attention and his 15 minutes of fame.
irishhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 11:09   #4
Lara's home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
It's ridiculous. The Simpsons plays on basically every stereotype around, including Americans. People need to get a grip.
Pretty much this.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 11:22   #5
strawberry22

I'm so confused by this. There are soooo many stereotypes in the Simpsons, and far worse ones in other TV shows, why does this one get brought to so much light?
strawberry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 11:33   #6
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...176.html%3famp

What do people think about this issue. I've never had an issue with ANY Simpsons character - despite everyone of them being heavily stereotyped..
Basically from what I have heard on this new controversy - a single male complained about Apu's character (saying that he was bullied at school) and that the Simpsons must change the character to make him feel better..

I can see his point - to an extent - but I do think its a bit much to change a character after 30 years - for one person..
Whats next. Is America going to complain because Homer is fat and stereotyping them?
Are people with a croaky voice going to be upset over Marge, Patty and Selma?

Its one of those Political Correctness things that can snowball.. where does it stop?

Luckily I no longer watch the show.. the new ones suck!
I need to look this documentary up to see the angle on this one.
Simpsons always had stereotypes of all sorts.

But i can defenitly see why indians would be offended by apu.
I have seen and heard so many people make fun of indians or mock them by comparing them to this Character.
Often when a indian person is seen on tv or so people have gone: Oh look its apu.
You could say its a bit of a running gag.
But to be honest i find the way the big bang theory uses Raj far more offensive and racist than Apu.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 11:47   #7
Joey79100

^ This is probably not even a universal thing, I often hear comparisons to Homer, Marge, or Barney, but never heard about Apu here.

Anyway, this is ridiculous for the reasons mentioned above, nothing else to say.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 11:55   #8
dcw123

Interesting to see a debate on this..

But yeah the show (and Apu's VA) say they will have to change the character because of all this..

I still remember the earlier seasons from the 90s the best. So many lines to quote!
Can't really say the same for the later seasons past Season 14 but hey.
They've done a good job thinking of couch gags and episodes for over 29 seasons since 1989.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 13:35   #9
Heckler

This is right up there with those millennials who complained about the fat shaming, homophobia and transphobia in Friends
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 16:44   #10
HarleyCroft

I agree, there are tons of stereotypes used on the Simpsons about pretty much every race and culture and pretty much nobody takes them seriously any more. Sensitivities change but older jokes that rely on stereotypical humour are mostly understood to be a relic of its time. (My Mom almost didn't let me watch that show as a kid because it was so disrespectful towards the elderly. That demographic group might have gotten the absolute worst treatment during '90s)

At least that's what I thought until I heard about this, a complaint that is a couple decades too late. I'm not of Indian heritage so I've never experienced it, but can imagine Apu impressions were probably used pretty frequently to bully Indian kids- it's shown a little during Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. Apu didn't cause the mocking of kids that are different (noticing differences among people's appearances and speech is inherent among the human race, especially kids) but that character certainly didn't help.

Which is too bad because besides being a workaholic, he isn't a flat character. He graduated at the top of the class at an Indian university, was a popular bachelor before getting married and is a close friend of the Simpsons. He stands by his Hindu beliefs and has amalgamated well into the United States, there was even an episode about him getting his citizenship and proving he earned his place in America.

On the other hand, Hari Kondabolu, the author of that article telling Hank Azaria to "go **** himself" after he diplomatically addressed the concerns and opened a dicussion is pretty classless. It indicates to me that he is only looking to be the victim instead of leading a change.

I was interested in this article as opening up a debate over whether acceptable stereotypes of yesteryear should be censored or not but after looking into his tweets, I don't want to give Mr. Kondabolu the attention. He can go **** himself.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote