Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-05-07, 14:11   #1
Viamp

Default PS3 to get DVD/PS1/PS2 upscaling

Quote:
Latest PLAYSTATION®3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation®, PlayStation®2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP™(PlayStation®Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically1 enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set. Not only are DVD movies enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements includes the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk drive or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers via USB connection.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Notes:
1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires PS3 version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home
ThreeSpeech
Viamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 14:14   #2
touchmyheart

Yes! That's a huge relief! I mean not being able to play some old games was just plain inconveniant!
touchmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 14:20   #3
Viamp

I wonder how good Legend and Anniversary would look upscaled.

The PC-streaming stuff sounds good also, I wonder if any video codecs will now play...?
Old 23-05-07, 14:30   #4
Dingaling
Golden

Yus! Thanks for the great news Viamp. Although in the press release it has "dramitcally1", LoL. Small spelling mistake there Press Release writers.
Dingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 14:32   #5
nightwishgirl84

cool !!
i'll be buying one in the summer for sure now
nightwishgirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 14:36   #6
Viamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling View Post
Small spelling mistake there Press Release writers.
LOL, I think it's just the way it was copied over, the 1 is in reference to the notes section.
Old 23-05-07, 15:10   #7
Agent 47

with every new update there seems to be less and less to bash the console for
Agent 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 15:13   #8
Viamp

All we need now is in-game music and messaging, then the major gripes are gone.
Old 23-05-07, 16:21   #9
Dingaling
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viamp View Post
LOL, I think it's just the way it was copied over, the 1 is in reference to the notes section.
Oh yeah, I completely missed that part, LOL! Good eye there Viamp! And I have to agree with you on the in-game music and messaging, they're great features of the Xbox 360 and it'd be great to have it on the PS3 as well .
Dingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 16:41   #10
nightwishgirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viamp View Post
All we need now is in-game music and messaging, then the major gripes are gone.
uhrm.....
there is no background in-game music
i didn't know that !!
why doesnt the ps3 have that or is it the game's fault,not the console ??
i haven't got a clue about this console
nightwishgirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote