Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 21-04-17, 10:45   #1
annl

Question Noticed Something Interesting: The Gunfire Sprite Looks Different in TR3 Gold vs TR3

I noticed something very interesting while playing The Lost Artefact that I don't think anyone has noticed before and it's quite surprising as it's seen quite often. The gunfire sprite is considerably better quality in TR3 Gold - The Lost Artefact vs Tomb Raider 3.

I took some screens to prove it:

TR3:

The Lost Artefact:

Now why was this changed? I mean sure, it's looks better but was there any need to change it?

Anyone know or have an idea or opinion?
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 11:56   #2
Sardoc

That's something I noticed while working on the crystal-less mod.

Though if you check the gunfire sprite in TR3TLA version of Lara's Home... ugh. Not pretty at all.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 12:23   #3
Wooxman

That's indeed interesting! It didn't notice it when I played TLA, which is a shame since I'm not a big fan of the sprites in TR III. My guess is that they changed it because it looks better. But then again, TR II Gold also has a few interesting changes like different coloured health and air bars.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 12:41   #4
annl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
That's indeed interesting! It didn't notice it when I played TLA, which is a shame since I'm not a big fan of the sprites in TR III. My guess is that they changed it because it looks better. But then again, TR II Gold also has a few interesting changes like different coloured health and air bars.
It gives the illusion it's higher quality, it is in fact the same quality but they seem to have added an orange color around the outside of the yellow to give the illusion it's higher.

The question is why change it? Sure it's better but was there a reason it needed changing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
That's something I noticed while working on the crystal-less mod.

Though if you check the gunfire sprite in TR3TLA version of Lara's Home... ugh. Not pretty at all.
That's probably because they just copied it from TR3 and didn't either forgot to or didn't bother to change it to match.

Also Sardoc, would you be planning to ADD health crystals to TR3 Gold? It should be possible as they are probably in the level files, it then makes gold easier for those like me who prefer to use your patch with health crystals.

Last edited by annl; 21-04-17 at 12:47.
Old 21-04-17, 15:56   #5
tomblover

I think the sprite is the same, only, the "alpha channel", if you will, is different in TLA -- so the flash looks denser. That's just my uneducated opinion though.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 18:49   #6
jschuuring
Inactive

i think all grafics looks better, where is lara ponytail?
jschuuring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 19:00   #7
annl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuuring View Post
i think all grafics looks better, where is lara ponytail?
Oh, it's still there. Just took the photo when it blew in front of her. You know how the ponytail is.
Old 22-04-17, 02:32   #8
benjamin_2010

The sprite from TLA reminds me more of TR2's gunfire than TR3's (to me).
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 14:27   #9
Sardoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
It gives the illusion it's higher quality, it is in fact the same quality but they seem to have added an orange color around the outside of the yellow to give the illusion it's higher.

The question is why change it? Sure it's better but was there a reason it needed changing?

That's probably because they just copied it from TR3 and didn't either forgot to or didn't bother to change it to match.

Also Sardoc, would you be planning to ADD health crystals to TR3 Gold? It should be possible as they are probably in the level files, it then makes gold easier for those like me who prefer to use your patch with health crystals.
Hm... can't say I have, because I'd have to add the crystal graphics, and currently only Fexmerger or TRViewer do that. I'd really, really like to avoid using them, cos they almost always eff something up. Basically it's a case of re-doing the same thing over and over again from scratch, until the programs finally do things right. It's really unpredictable. Though if we ever get better tools, sure, why not.

When I was trying to add weapon meshes to Nightmare in Vegas, TRViewer would replace underwater bubbles with blood, or completely bugger up Winston, or replace shotgun shells with enemy meshes (lol). I literally did the same thing from scratch 11 times until finally it didn't bugger anything up.

Or when trying to add the Eye of Isis graphics to All Hallows, Fexmerger would bugger up animated water textures.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 15:14   #10
JoelCaesar

Can I just say that I much prefer the pixelated gun shots in TRIII over the basic TRI and II ones.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote