Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 26-12-16, 21:39   #1
TombRaiderTim

Post Lag Issue?

Now i'm not certain but it comes to my attention TR games between TRA to TRU tend to have some lag no matter what PC and drivers you use, if it helps I will list my specs on here to see if it is my end:

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core I3
3.70 Ghz
Dual Core
8 GB Ram
1 TB Memory

Intel HD Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950

To me this should be more than enough to run TRA smoothly but it would be nice to hear others suggestions, all settings are on and the lag isn't a major slowdown but it's noticeable to be annoying considering my specs and I use a Steam version of TRA.

There is hardly anything running in the background aside from Steam so that would not be an issue either, i'm going to give my disk version a go in a short while and see if there is much of a difference and i'm not sure if using a HDMI cable instead of a DVI would make a change either.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 26-12-16 at 21:42.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-16, 09:31   #2
JimbobJeffers

I can't say I've noticed lag myself, certainly not in TRL and TRA. TRU has been buggy but I wouldn't say laggy. My specs:

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i7-4790K, 4.00GHz, Quad-Core
16GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive x2, 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB

I've run the game on Steam and disc (using no-disc once installed) and don't remember the Steam version performing any differently in terms of lag.

That said, given the age of these games I don't see why you'd be experiencing lag with your setup. Your specs are beyond the recommended requirements for TRU. With TRU specifically I seem to recall having to lower my audio quality settings to help with an audio bug*, or maybe that was for a different game, there was certainly an audio issue I fixed.

Possible solutions off the top of my head, I'm no expert though at all:
  • Running in windowed mode with DxWnd (I wrote quick steps for TRA in a post here)
  • Checking that your Nvidia GPU is actually the one being used, rather than your integrated graphics. Go to Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, then choose TRA and set "CUDA - GPUs" to your Nvidia one, I think that's how it's done. Have a look at other settings here to see if anything can be turned down, e.g. Anti-Aliasing.
  • And then the more obvious one, messing with the in-game settings to see what might help.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has lag in this game too, and if you manage to solve it please do post how!

*I think this is either done in the Realtek Audio Manager, or by right-clicking the sound icon, choosing Playback Devices, right-clicking your output devices and selecting Properties, then going to the Supported Formats tab and unticking the higher Sample Rates like 192.0 kHz.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-16, 17:38   #3
TombRaiderTim

It's a new PC and it was all ready to use when purchased, though I just noticed in the Nvidia experience was never finished with updates and once that was done it began installing the game ready driver so it might be the reason, will get back to you in a few minutes on that and try the control panel settings in Nvidia if it doesn't solve the issue.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-16, 18:03   #4
JimbobJeffers

Ah, well a friend of mine bought a new PC recently and he had to manually set at least one of his games to use the Nividia GPU instead of the integrated graphics, so maybe that'll be it.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote