Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-12-17, 15:23   #21
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRain View Post
HOLY CRAP! I cannot believe how much you all despise the Reboot/Rise games! And sure, I very much agree that the games had plenty of flaws in them, but this is just...
I enjoyed playing both installments, but the writing never went beyond "It's okay" for me. All the twists were painfully predictable.

Quote:
...You gave side characters a better score then Lara?
Side characters don't need to be as fleshed out as the protagonist. Lara in her current state is rather bland to carry an entire game imo.

Quote:
''Stupid and boring'' are often insults used by teens/childeren. I kinda wish you were more sophisticated in describing why you don't like the new Lara.
I think people have already elaborated that she's a blank slate with no discernible qualities because CD wanted to make her relatable™. There's barely anything that makes her stand out as a character. She lacks flair.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 15:28   #22
Hazelphoenix

Reboot plot: 3/5
Rise Plot: 2/5

The first game still had that halo of mystery revolving around the myth of the Sun queen/doomed island that I found somewhat interesting whereas Rise lacked a lot more in that regard. All in all I found the storyline pretty boring and not executed properly compared to the work of other Software houses. Also the day the finally get rid of the daddy plotline for good, is the day my score is gonna be higher.

Reboot Mystery: 3/5
Rise Mystery: 1/5

Characterisation of Lara: 2/5

I'm being extremely generous here just so people won't mistake my rating for mindless bashing, but truth be told, she's not my cup of tea and the fault lies once more in the execution even moreso than the actual concept of exploring the mind of a young Lara Croft. Instead of presenting a well-written character that goes through a constant process of believable growth, it seems to me more of a case of gluing 10 personalities together hoping something good will come out of it by pure luck. That number 2 is an encouragement to take risks with the last installment and actually show us a REAL organic growth that makes sense. Because as of now, reboot and Rise looked like they didn't even belong in the same trilogy.

Characterisation of other characters: 2/5

Believability: 3/5

Didn't know how to rate this one so I'll live it kinda in the middle. It's believable enough for being a videogame.

Immersion: 2/5

How I am supposed to feel immersed and involved in what happens if the execution is mediocre?

Tone: 2/5

I'd like the next games to be less focused on try to be so dramatic all the time and take themselves a bit less seriously, at least in some circumstances.

Fun: 3/5

Gameplay would be fun indeed, if only everything surrounding it was as well.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 15:48   #23
biscuits

I think most of the issues with Lara's characterization is due to the games taking themselves wayyyy to seriously. I'd have enjoyed Rise's plot a lot more if it was more light hearted. The tone made sense to me in the reboot. I think this is something the comics have done a lot better. Reading Lara's inner monologues in the comics made her a LOT wittier imo. Seeing her interactions with her friends also highlighted her sarcasm.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 15:51   #24
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I think most of the issues with Lara's characterization is due to the games taking themselves wayyyy to seriously. I'd have enjoyed Rise's plot a lot more if it was more light hearted. The tone made sense to me in the reboot. I think this is something the comics have done a lot better. Reading Lara's inner monologues in the comics made her a LOT wittier imo. Seeing her interactions with her friends also highlighted her sarcasm.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Eventually the constant drama gets really old.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 16:09   #25
biscuits

https://imgur.com/a/2FuPI

I hope Lara's attitude is more in line with these comics. It could be possible since this arc is set after Rise.

Last edited by biscuits; 11-12-17 at 16:39. Reason: Grammar mistakes
Old 11-12-17, 16:16   #26
Samsdad

I liked the games so read no further if you get upset about someone liking something you dislike.

Plot 3/5 - It is a given that the vast majority of game plots are pretty generic now-a-days. It is hard to give a judgment on 2/3 of a trilogy. The stories have been good but not great up to this point.

Mystery 4/5 - The mystery of the prophet seemed patently obvious at first but then took some interesting twists. The impact of immortality and how Jacob was more than ready to die opened up interesting questions. Anna's betrayal was a surprise

Characterization of Lara4/5 - I was very pleased to see the presentation of a Lara that moved beyond the one-dimensional, flip of the lip, James Bond wannabe of the classics. I saw an intelligent, resourceful young woman coping with almost over whelming situations. A woman that could think on her feet under pressure, i.e. when she palmed the detonation device in her first run in with Trinity.

Characterization of Others 3/5 I really like Jonah and thought that he was well done. Anna was appropriately dislikeable

Beliveability 4/5 IMO There were no jarring moments that caused me to suspend belief.

Immersion 4/5 The graphics were gorgeous, the animations as good as any I have seen and I actually could feel the cold.

Tone 4/5 Appropriately serious and dark

Fun 4/5 A lot of fun

Last edited by Samsdad; 11-12-17 at 17:19.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 16:59   #27
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdad View Post

I was very pleased to see the presentation of a Lara that moved beyond the one-dimensional, flip of the lip, James Bond wannabe of the classics. I saw an intelligent, resourceful young woman coping with almost over whelming situations. A woman that could think on her feet under pressure, i.e. when she palmed the detonation device in her first run in with Trinity.
I also really enjoy current Lara's characterization, despite the flaws. I'm always looking forward to know where her adventure goes (though I hope the next game won't be centred on hunting down her father's killer).
Old 11-12-17, 17:03   #28
Grimaldi

Edit: trimmed down to ratings.

-Plot 2/5
-Mystery 1/5
-Characterisation of Lara 3/5
-Characterisation of other characters 2/5
-Believability 2/5
-Immersion 3/5
-Tone 2/5
-Fun 4/5

Last edited by Grimaldi; 11-12-17 at 19:36.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 17:06   #29
FanosCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
https://imgur.com/a/2FuPI

I hope Lara's attitude is more in line with these comics. It could be possible since this arc is set after Rise.
That's so cool!
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 17:16   #30
biscuits

I'm still confused as to who is going to work on the narrative side of things. With Crystal Dynamics working on the Avengers project, do you guys think Eidos Montreal is responsible for the next game's story?