Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 12-08-18, 13:20   #21
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
I've never really fully enjoyed the Lara's parents story that's so frequently capitalized on.
Did you like Legend? Which one do you prefer, or do you think of them as equals?
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-18, 15:40   #22
Ahmier
Unverified

I liked your review. The only thing I didn’t like about Underworld is the pace of combat and platforming. They felt switched in a way. Combat was a bit sluggish and limited while the platforming was snappy yet too fast.

Last edited by Ahmier; 12-08-18 at 15:44.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-18, 03:32   #23
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

I loved this a lot and you were really fair to the game, especially given that it's one of your favorite entries.

I've always found this game quite fun to review, myself.

Thanks for this post! Feel free to do BTA! That, to me, is one of the best Tomb Raider levels around. It's nothing short of criminal that it's an xbox exclusive level.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-18, 11:01   #24
Legends

^Jacob, does it come in an abridged audio-book version?

I'm gonna read it. I love that it's from 2009.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-18, 14:27   #25
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBryanBURNS View Post
I loved this a lot and you were really fair to the game, especially given that it's one of your favorite entries.

I've always found this game quite fun to review, myself.

Thanks for this post! Feel free to do BTA! That, to me, is one of the best Tomb Raider levels around. It's nothing short of criminal that it's an xbox exclusive level.
I'd love to, but I own Underworld on PC and I don't have Xbox Live on my Xbox 360 even if I decided to get Underworld again for it.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 14:43   #26
moodydog

I'm currently replaying underdworld, and I'm quite enjoying it.
My only complaint is that the gameplay feels a little unrefined. Everything is faster, but Lara often gets caught on the environment, misses blatantly climbable platforms, and the camera often got stuck not allowing me to see where I wanted to jump.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 23:24   #27
Chamayoo

Pretty much agree with everything on your honest review, except I always enjoyed the very last part of the game with the moving platforms (however it was glitchy !).

I love the fact that this is the most capable Lara of the series, well at least on platforming, definitely. She has an incredible amount of moves in this game and one of the main reason why I cherish this unfortunately flawed game. I wonder if it existed a game even today with a massive moveset, I'm a bit sad the game didn't have a credit for this in the general press/public gaming.
Pity the animations are so-so and the controls a bit clunky (though, not terribles in my eyes). I would love at least a new sequel to LAU, to see Lara performing all of this with good-looking and smooth animations. Would be worth it only for this. I imagine with mid-air turning (not as too much permissive as in the reboot though) and the axe mechanic (one of the few things I like with the reboot platforming, it's to use a button to climb, a little nod to the classics) on climbing surface Lara couldn't grab with hands.

Lackluster for me was the story, not seriously done. I would like more connections and consistence with Legend while keep its North mythology. I don't think connected it with Anniversary was good, maybe it's why the story feels little and cheesy. Or done it much better, because I still like Doppie.

I find the combat floppy. The dodges were ineffective and while I like the adrenaline mode, it was too powerful. The AI not that good, at least for humans, I think for wildlife it was okay. Pity as there is a good variety of enemies, maybe the only one to have more than only 3 or 4 types of enemies with Anniversary in the Crystal/EM games. Even better with some original ones (nagas and thralls) and some we didn't see in years at the time like sharks and spiders.

The secrets and the rewards felt like a last minute addition, except for some relics they were too much of it and uninteresting to search and pick. That was good in Legend and Anni... Uh Underworld deserved extra time to developed a lot of things, I wouldn't mind a release in the end of 2009 instead. It had a lot of potentials for me. But Eidos needed the game as soon as possible to save their ass (sigh).

I'm glad to see a good review of the game, it's rare. This game was too much criticized (and it's very understandable), with so much hate sometimes that it is revealing to see. Underrated, eh !

Last edited by Chamayoo; 08-11-18 at 23:32.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 23:17   #28
_Tomb_Raider

Can't believe it has been ten (!) years since this game came out. It was the first TR game release which I was following on daily basis as a teen. Still remember being so excited when teaser trailer (man, that was epic stuff) and gameplay trailer dropped.

I loved the game initially, mostly due to the hype and excitement as a kid. However, over the years, I have realized that the whole plot was completely inconsistent and everything felt rushed.

Nonetheless, I still think this game is amazing - just as you noted. The locations are simply superb! I mean, the game felt massive with a Mediterranian sea, Thailand and Mexico - I still adore replaying those levels and just platforming and listening to environment and music. Level of detail is beyond the words for 2008 title. I would also like to say that this Lara model has been one of my favorites - she looks mature, confident and strong. Together with impressive Keeley Hawes voiceacting, nothing can go wrong with this model.

Sad to think that we never got to see LAU Lara in action that doesn't involve parents story.

PS. I now have to look for those old threads where people were being so excited over TRU trailers - just for the sake of nostalgia.
_Tomb_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 15:45   #29
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tomb_Raider View Post
Can't believe it has been ten (!) years since this game came out. It was the first TR game release which I was following on daily basis as a teen. Still remember being so excited when teaser trailer (man, that was epic stuff) and gameplay trailer dropped.

I loved the game initially, mostly due to the hype and excitement as a kid. However, over the years, I have realized that the whole plot was completely inconsistent and everything felt rushed.

Nonetheless, I still think this game is amazing - just as you noted. The locations are simply superb! I mean, the game felt massive with a Mediterranian sea, Thailand and Mexico - I still adore replaying those levels and just platforming and listening to environment and music. Level of detail is beyond the words for 2008 title. I would also like to say that this Lara model has been one of my favorites - she looks mature, confident and strong. Together with impressive Keeley Hawes voiceacting, nothing can go wrong with this model.

Sad to think that we never got to see LAU Lara in action that doesn't involve parents story.

PS. I now have to look for those old threads where people were being so excited over TRU trailers - just for the sake of nostalgia.
I totally share those same feelings, and I agree with everything you said. I had broken my leg about a week before this game released so I was home from work for a few weeks. I remember getting the game a day early and I was so excited. I lived in my first apartment then and it was this cozy little place. I remember that I spent several days with the game and just having such a good time.

Since then I've had a roller coaster relationship with the game though. Today I like it a lot, but there was a few years I was kind of disappointed by it and I just felt underwhelmed. I'm still not happy about the things I think they should have improved and changed, but when you compare it to the reboot and what we have today... Underworld stands out almost a masterpiece, and it was the last real Tomb Raider game. Over time Underworld redeemed itself because of all the things it did right, and it's such a big contrast to everything they do wrong in the reboot. I wish they kept developing the Underworld formula further. Big open spaces to explore, no more QTE's, dual targeting, acrobatics and so on...
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 16:15   #30
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I don't think that Underworld's version of the replica of Lara is genetically modified to become "Nephilim" what do you think? This figures why I like the reboot series better along with AOD as well to the point that I know that the story about Tomb Raider Underworld is a side-step story only which is very stupid for me personally honestly!
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote