www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 25-04-12, 13:36   #1
Journal
Student

Default Does Larson let Lara escape?

I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find another thread!
At the end of the Sanctuary of the Scion level, during the interactive cutscene, Larson appears to misfire intentionally as to avoid shooting Lara.

I know the developers wanted to create some form of connection between the two, as they seem to go out of their way to give them chemistry in their scenes together. However, I just noticed when replaying that he doesn't seem to try and 'kill her' as instructed beforehand?

To me it seemed he had a clear shot at her but intentionally missed, or maybe I'm just imagining it.

That said, I felt this scene was one of the few which failed to recreate the intense situation which Lara was put in, in TR1 this scene really does draw you in. IF they had intended Larson to 'let her' escape, it does derive from the scene somewhat.
Old 25-04-12, 21:04   #2
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

I think larson tried to kill her but missed accidentally.
Old 26-04-12, 04:57   #3
Avalon SARL
Professor

To show chemistry between the two, ofcourse not.

He intentionally missed shooting her, could be possible because he was so slow when he shot at her because he was probably not a killer and not ready to kill her for that.
He may have thought we'll leave and she'll be gone
Old 26-04-12, 06:49   #4
Ward Dragon

It seems pretty clear that he intentionally missed her. I think one of the developer commentaries confirms this as well (I can't remember specifically where it was, but I think it was either near that cutscene, or near the interactive cutscene in Natla's Mines).
Old 26-04-12, 09:06   #5
Shark_Blade
Legend

It's just lame though.

And it's so funny that Lara killed him without hesitation, but later cued a big stupid sad face <:-(
Old 26-04-12, 11:30   #6
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Yup, he does intentionally try to miss her (you can even see him move his shotgun away from Lara). Like Ward Dragon said, one of the commentaries mentions this, but I can't remember which one.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-12, 13:53   #7
motoleo

It's more of a re-visioning. Because that's not what happened. That's not what happened at all.

In the original one, when Lara was coming out of the tomb, the guy grabbed her before she knew it because her vision was blurry- she couldn't see.

One of the henchmen throws her against the wall after taking the artifact. After an awkward pause, Natla then says, "Well...?!?! Kill her!" At which point, Lara proceeds to escape and jumps off of the cliff.

The guy with the Uzi's shoots into the water. Crystal Dynamic's version was so unrealistic.

Last edited by motoleo; 26-04-12 at 13:55.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-12, 16:59   #8
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Well i didn't know that larson intentionally missed lara.
Old 26-04-12, 20:39   #9
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
It's more of a re-visioning. Because that's not what happened. That's not what happened at all.

In the original one, when Lara was coming out of the tomb, the guy grabbed her before she knew it because her vision was blurry- she couldn't see.

One of the henchmen throws her against the wall after taking the artifact. After an awkward pause, Natla then says, "Well...?!?! Kill her!" At which point, Lara proceeds to escape and jumps off of the cliff.

The guy with the Uzi's shoots into the water. Crystal Dynamic's version was so unrealistic.
TBH Core design also failed with that cutscene. Lara is pushed to a rock and then Natla is like: um maybe we should kill her or something.
Old 26-04-12, 21:26   #10
motoleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
TBH Core design also failed with that cutscene. Lara is pushed to a rock and then Natla is like: um maybe we should kill her or something.
Not at all. While Natla was looking at the artifact, she expected the henchmen to have already killed Lara. But everyone was just standing around. I thought it was quite clever.

In Core's version, you could root for Lara. The whole time she had been captured, you can see in Lara's face, that she wasn't going to let them get away with it.

Also, the shooting effect was better. In Anniversary, Larson literally aims it away from Lara as he shoots. In the original version, the guy with the Uzi's shoots into the water, so you really didn't know if Lara had been hit.

Also, in CD's version, why did the guy with the Uzi's aim down? He had 2 guns and Lara was standing right in front of him.

Last edited by motoleo; 26-04-12 at 21:28.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote