Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 20-07-17, 16:18   #31
Felix Kroft

Deactivated.

Last edited by Felix Kroft; 13-04-22 at 16:19.
Felix Kroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-17, 17:39   #32
Wooxman

Well, animations have nothing to do with the engine. It's just that LoK Defiance had a movement set that suited TRL and thus Crystal didn't bother to create new animations for Lara. But that's more related to the animations they already had than the engine they used. The Legend engine was also used for the last two Deus Ex game and these are first person shooters.

And don't forget that the Unreal engine has its roots in the 90s as well and is one of the most used game engines ever.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-17, 23:34   #33
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
According to this video of DigitalFoundry, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver already had level streaming, so the engine probably at least dates back to this game and the fact that it's called the "Gex Engine" could be a hint that it was also used in the 3D Gex games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni13xjHvwu4
[youtube/]ni13xjHvwu4[/youtube]
It would have made sense for them to use the same engine as they did for Gex and even Pandemonium. Which would mean the current engine is some 20 years old now
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-17, 03:13   #34
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Kroft View Post
Just play LOK Defiance and Then Legend
some climbing, sneaking, running animations for Kain look strikingly similiar to Legend, i guess that TR Legend had just some slight, but distinctive update in animations and character model, even the overall feel of the movement / control is somewhat related to each other in both games, and i find that cool, the whole idea of one engine being constantly used and getting heavily updated is mindblowing
Wow! That's fascinating. I didn't know that. Well, I guess that they did tweak some animations though, as Lara sometimes is very sensual and feminine during certain animations, like the walk one for example. It's pretty cool that their engine is so versatile. But to be honest the engine has probably changed so much, at least since Legend, that it's basically like a brand new engine.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-17, 10:40   #35
Wooxman

I watched a gameplay video of LoK Defiance and some animations indeed are similar to those in Legend, especially the running animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62SDl2D8tY

Watching this makes me wish that Crystal would go back to over-the-top abilities and fun over realism.
Old 21-07-17, 14:39   #36
Dustie

And for me watching this makes it painfully obvious why they went with Crystal Dynamics to produce Tomb Raider. As much as I'm not a fan of them, I can see why they got the job.

Somehow those older games with fantasy settings seem a lot more fun than today's realism-laden ones... But that's probably just nostalgia speaking through me.

Last edited by Dustie; 21-07-17 at 14:40.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-17, 15:04   #37
Wooxman

There're still games like this being made, just not as many because of "realizms". Sunset Overdrive and ReCore have a similar fun gameplay and Mass Effect Andromeda went away from cover based shooting to jumping around while fighting enemies. Games with fun gameplay elements and lots of jumping about and slashing through enemies are currently making a return, just a rather slow one. Makes me think that Crystal maybe made a bad decision with building their new combat system on cover based shooting, but they can still change it.
Old 03-05-18, 01:41   #38
CodeReaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Would probably take ages to port over but TR7 does have debugging symbols so it's easier to find the code which controls the camera.
By that, do you mean matching the functions in TR7 to the ones in Defiance? Would it be straightforward if you already had the symbols for both?
CodeReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 18:25   #39
TheLostSecret

Talking

Don't know if you would believe me but ...

From my point of view , for each series of Tomb Raider games they have used the old engine , which was TRLE as we all know , but with cooler features and sophisticated graphics . This is what I think that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos don't want to tell it .
TheLostSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 09:05   #40
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostSecret View Post
Don't know if you would believe me but ...

From my point of view , for each series of Tomb Raider games they have used the old engine , which was TRLE as we all know , but with cooler features and sophisticated graphics . This is what I think that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos don't want to tell it .
While that would be a fun story, I'm afraid it makes no sense from a technical point of view. The old engine has a design that basically only made sense between 1996 and 1999 (very roughly speaking). Its design is actually pretty ingenious for that time period, but the world changed so utterly drastically around 2000 that this design just doesn't work at all anymore.

(In more detail: The game uses integer calculations for everything, because it was made at a time when floating point calculations were still very expensive. Pentium CPUs, especially later ones, and graphics cards with built-in transform and lighting completely changed that equation. It also spends a lot of time making sure it only draws the triangles it needs to, and then draws all of them one by one - you can see that nicely in some less-than-perfect TRLE levels where you can see from one room to another, but the level designer didn't actually build a portal in. Again, that makes sense when you render triangles individually anyway and rendering a single one is expensive - as was the case in 1996. With cards that have hardware transform and lighting, meaning I think DirectX 7 and anything since, it's much, much cheaper to just tell the graphics card to draw all the triangles in a model in one go.)

Now, if you said that they all re-used AoDs engine, that would actually make vaguely more sense. Except for the part where Legend's engine actually works, of course.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote