Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 02-03-18, 14:53   #1
the magi

Default TR1 with TR2/TR3 improvements

Hey guys. Amidst all the mods and fan projects out there is there any way to play the original TR1 but with the TR2/3 Lara model and some of the moves like rolling in mid-air? If not, do you know how hard something like this would be?

I love TR1, and with all the modding I can't believe no one has come up with improved version of the first 3 games.
the magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 15:59   #2
annl

I used to mod TR1, the problem with trying to add new moves is that the engine for each game was upgraded each time.

Simply put, trying for example to put the sprint ability in TR1 would simply cause TR1 to crash when the level is loading or when the move is attempted.

If it was possible to do that, believe me, someone would have done that by now.

That have been examples of new moves in TR3, this custom level set ofr example:
http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=2343

Allows the main character to long jump.

Also, each TR is limited to the amount of animation slots. It is simply impossible to do this, sadly.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 17:08   #3
Dustie

There is no way to do this currently, it might be possible in the future. There are plans to make the TR2 engine run TR1, which would enable TR2 moves and Lara model (including the moving braid) for it. Perhaps OpenLara will somehow allow loading TR1 levels as TR2/3 levels and thus enabling them to be played with each corresponding game's functionality.

Last edited by Dustie; 02-03-18 at 17:09.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 21:37   #4
TombRaiderTim

Currently, there is not. It's the whole reason we see Lara portrayed with her hair up in a bun. It sounds silly but the Tomb Raider engine at that time could not handle Lara's ponytail due to all its effects it had, such as blowing in the wind or moving about when she jumped or climbed or swam.

So, it would not exactly work well for the TR2/TR3 Lara model either as there was more meshes involved in that make which took up more space in the files but I am certain I have saw a mod somewhere that gives TR1 Lara a ponytail but it looks she covered it in hair wax as it was stiff due to limitations.
TombRaiderTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 21:43   #5
dcw123

The only way would be for someone to remake TR1 entirely within TRLE - then add TR2 or 3 Lara with new moves and animations, hair etc

No easy task
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 22:38   #6
Teeth

Erm...someone did...
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 23:49   #7
NoahCrofRaider

That isn't TR2/3 Lara model, and they added onto the game. New places and such.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 11:32   #8
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
haha LOL I know about THAT one.. (though it wasn't without its flaws IMO)
I also know about AODFan's TR1 remake

Funnily enough, I myself am doing such a thing too - but using TR4 Lara as a base instead. Its gonna feature 'redesigned' versions of classic levels instead of 1:1 remake (which is what my alpha version of the project was gonna be)

So basically TR1,2 and 3 levels with sprinting, crawling, ropes and improvements like coloured lighting etc where appropriate
Old 03-03-18, 16:38   #9
TombRaiderTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
haha LOL I know about THAT one.. (though it wasn't without its flaws IMO)
I also know about AODFan's TR1 remake

Funnily enough, I myself am doing such a thing too - but using TR4 Lara as a base instead. Its gonna feature 'redesigned' versions of classic levels instead of 1:1 remake (which is what my alpha version of the project was gonna be)

So basically TR1,2 and 3 levels with sprinting, crawling, ropes and improvements like coloured lighting etc where appropriate
But TR1 Revised was used as a TR4 base and has all of those features put into use and it is not exactly the simplest of things to accomplish on an entire remake, especially considering the size of the TR3 levels and their complex design which is why many people turn to remaking TR1 as that can easily be improved on due to the rooms simple shapes.

Believe me, me and Teeth would remember those days, it can get crazy hectic.
TombRaiderTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 16:54   #10
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
But TR1 Revised was used as a TR4 base and has all of those features put into use and it is not exactly the simplest of things to accomplish on an entire remake, especially considering the size of the TR3 levels and their complex design which is why many people turn to remaking TR1 as that can easily be improved on due to the rooms simple shapes.

Believe me, me and Teeth would remember those days, it can get crazy hectic.
Ahh.. I think we misunderstood each other - sorry, I know that it used TRLE (TR4 engine) and had TR4 stuff included in it.
I meant actually using the TR4 Lara model and modifying it to look more classic