Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 24-02-18, 10:54   #11
akci

Whoa, interesting development here, it's quite reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with such an Arya-list. Likeminded people and all that.
Okay, I've never actually bothered to write it down, but still. until now, that is. So here's what I can add.
Tomb of Qualpoec, you can take the Scion twice due to a bug.
Colosseum, inactive bat in one of the corner buildings, no known solution.
Great Pyramid, another uzi clip inside a wall. These can be taken via position editor, you have to position Lara precisely on them. Btw the same trick can be used with the medi in Coastal Village, just your starting position must far enough, from outside of that room.
Temple of the Cat, two extra kills at the end, first you have to enter the big room by one of the side doors, jump over the trigger to keep it open, and up. Here are two enemies that not present in the flipped room. Then back down and out, in the middle door to get the two kills there.
Atlantean Stronghold, centaur behind glass wall. It's a glimpse into the next level but technically a different one of course. You need the old DOS position editor to get in there in a playable fashion.
Maria Doria, shark under a glass floor, well ceiling, it's an upside down room. Killable with a bug.
TR3 general, several crystals can be doubled on PS with a bug. It's a relatively recent discovery, I don't know of a comprehensive list of such crystals.
River Ganges, legal solution but worth mentioning, you can explore the whole level.
High Security, after getting the pistols you can go back up via corner bug to get some more kills.
Madubu Gorge, crystal under the bridge, normally this should be missed to follow the route that offers more, but I found a way to get it. When you reach the 2nd kayak head for the nearby lake to take a crystal there, this is a bit of an expert challenge in itself, then head to the corner of the lake closest to the start, and you can paddle up the waterfall there. Then go back to the start of the level on foot and take the 1st kayak. Maybe a bit iffy but I think this solution is acceptable as legal, the kayak never leaves water, technically.
RX-Tech Mines, extra kill in one of the cart stops if you go in there on foot, the way back out is via flare-aircreep bug. (or whatever it's called )
TR4 general, secret doubling bug, in interconnected levels where the secret trigger isn't tied to a pickup, just activated by stepping on a tile. When you leave the level and come back the secret triggers reset.
Burial Chambers, you don't have explosive ammo yet, so the mummies are unkillable, save editor or cheat to give Lara the tools.
Valley of the Knigs, there is a double slope, slope-little landing-another slope (sorry, no better way to describe it). If you go up with the Jeep only one ninja appears, go up just for the landing to trigger the pedestrian way to open then drive back down and go up on foot. Then there are two ninjas.
Guardian of Semerkhet, already been mentioned, but worth noting that the save editor allows you to untick the Burning Lara checkbox. Furthermore it's been speculated that there might be a legal solution. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...=195242&page=7
Desert Railroad, clumsy ninja that always falls off the train by himself, you have very short time if actually want this kill, switch to manual targeting and use the ARF method with the shotgun or grenade gun.
Desert Railroad, small medi, it's down in the wagon, yet a Copperfield ninja picks it up from the roof. You have to beat him to it, or kill him first.
Catacombs, two items that were supposed to be in vases but since enemies are triggered on those tiles as well they end up carrying them. You have to kill them and shoot the vases as well, both conditions need to be met in order to the pickups to appear, on the tile the enemy had died.
Tim, is your small medi one of these by any chance?
Chamber of Tulun, the Minotaur can be killed with the bike, IMO this is legal, but I know it's debatable.
Menkaure's Pyramid, two kills must be missed to get all pickups including a secret. The soldier who gives the key, plus a giant scorpion won't appear later this way, no known solution.
Inside the Great Pyramid, while you're well into the level a ninja appears at the start, also carries a large medi. Legal.
Times Exclusive, explosives shortage for the mummies, same as Burial Chambers.
Streets of Rome, there's a presistent rumor about a 6th dog, although Fexinspect shows only 5. Perhaps in some versions of the game?
Parisian Ghetto area, a bunch of pickups retrigger when you exit Serpent Rouge, never made a full list but as much as I remember about 15, scattered around the area. Most importantly if you take Bernard's route these items reappear again, so with this route you can take them 3 times. With Pierre's route only twice.
Louvre Gallery, you can take two respirators via a bug.
Tomb of Ancients, inactive bat above the broken bridge, you can shoot it just takes an extra bullet plus finding the position to shoot from. Legal.
Gallery Under Siege, again two respirators with bug, then the third normally. So you can take 5 respirators in total, instead of just the one.
Maximum Containment Area, two mutants reappear again after the card door, according to Stella.
Maximum Containment Area, another kill, you can shoot the guard on the other side of the crawlspace with the ARF method and with good timing. Legal.

I also add three items that I found that no walkthru that I know of mentions, they can be obtained perfectly legally, but maybe some players don't know about some of them, as they are easy to miss.
Home Sweet Home, shotgun shells in the garden, where the finish of the assault course will be in TR3.
Sleeping with the Fishes, harpoon pickup under the yellow control structure, it's on a tile with that silverish gooey stuff, hard to notice, matches to color of the harpoons.
City of the Dead, small medi in the room with the dead soldier, as you enter it's on the left. The color of the room plus the lightning level makes it perfectly blend in the texture, and the little cross on it faces the wall.

And we can be pretty sure we haven't found everything yet.

Last edited by akci; 24-02-18 at 11:22.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 17:27   #12
fallenangle

In the Madabu Gorge one mentioned ^ how do you get back to the start by paddling up the waterfall as described? Maybe I'm misunderstanding which waterfall but if you mean the one you've just come down past the hut how is that possible?

I'd swear the height of the ledges in 2nd kayak start location (with the crocs) are too high for LC to pull out from the water. Is there some other safe place LC can alight? If not that there are ways of jumping from boats on to some higher platforms; is this is what is required to get back on dry land?
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 19:21   #13
akci

I mean the corner closest to the start of the level, which is the opposite corner from the hut.

The reason of why this is possible is because of how those rapid tiles are programmed into the game. Technically these are normal dryland tiles, with just animated textures and death triggers on them, you know it's like Lara falls into a washing machine. In the level editor water surfaces must always be horizontal, so if they wanted what is essentially sloping water, they had to do it this way. But it does not have a current on it! The animating texture doesn't give physical force to the kayak, that's another setting, you can do it even on horizontal land to achieve a conveyor belt effect. But that's not the case here, physically that's a static dryland slope, and that's why you can paddle up here.
In the assumed reality of the game world however, we think that as water, and that's why IMO the solution acceptable for legal. Of course such a stunt would be beyond the abilities of an average human, but Lara is so larger than life anyways, she fights gods and dragons, etc, so this should be easy-peasy for her.

Last edited by akci; 24-02-18 at 19:33.
Old 25-02-18, 13:26   #14
fallenangle

Thanks for the clarification.

Never knew you could do that there; I'll have to try it myself.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 16:50   #15
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akci View Post
Catacombs, two items that were supposed to be in vases but since enemies are triggered on those tiles as well they end up carrying them. You have to kill them and shoot the vases as well, both conditions need to be met in order to the pickups to appear, on the tile the enemy had died.
Tim, is your small medi one of these by any chance?
Oh my god... I haven't played for some days.
In fact, I played my challenge by following previous challenges by you and others. So I cannot miss anything you wrote down before.
My small medipack is a stupid one. It's completely lack of trigger. It's in the same vase as the only Uzi ammo of this level. The Uzi ammo has a trigger, but the small medipack doesn't have.

Some other things. My challenge allows save/load at any time, including the remove of locust. So, my no-scratch challenge is easier. I'm also not very strict on kills. It's OK if they're all dead, by whatever means. Up until now (after 1st visit of Citadel Gate), the differences are:
(1) Pickups: Same as yours.
(2) Kills: I find a new enemy. It's the 7th crocodile in the 1st visit of Sacred Lake. The start point and end point is different in this level. So no one goes back to the start point. But if we insist to go back, the 7th crocodile will be triggered.

(3) No Scratch: There are two differences.
(3.1) Catacombs: The drop from secret 1. I don't know why. The health loss is smaller if we hang from the ledge for very short time before dropping down.
(3.2) City of the Dead: The 2 machine guns can be made no scratch. It's similar to your approach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5UUT9pxXyY

(4) Pistol Only: I use 1 grenade to explode the 2 skeletons in Catacombs, but use another 2 grenades to kill the last harpy in Cleopatra's Palaces.

Last edited by xtimz; 16-04-18 at 17:01.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 00:58   #16
akci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
I find a new enemy. It's the 7th crocodile in the 1st visit of Sacred Lake. The start point and end point is different in this level. So no one goes back to the start point. But if we insist to go back, the 7th crocodile will be triggered.
Whoa, a new enemy discovery. For some reason in TR4 they used this method of triggering enemies late in the level, that you normally encounter in the second visit. But you croc, and a ninja in Inside the Great Pyramid, aren't like that. Maybe these just sort of easter eggs, or leftovers from an early version of the level.

Quote:
The drop from secret 1. I don't know why. The health loss is smaller if we hang from the ledge for very short time before dropping down.
You hang there comin from a crawlspace, the game puts Lara's center of gravity down by a certain amount when you go down to hang from the ledga, but while crawling it is lower by one click than standing, maybe and it takes a bit of time for the game to catch up with that. In effect it is the same as the safety drop save bug, when you save while hanging from the ledge and press roll while loading. Except this is legal.

Quote:
City of the Dead: The 2 machine guns can be made no scratch. It's similar to your approach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5UUT9pxXyY
Now, this is great. I could only do it without injury with adding a save bug to the method. TBH I kinda suspected that a legal no-scratch run might be possible there, but since the method relies on such tiny tedious little nuances, I just never stumbled upon the exact angle and distance. Nicely done.

Quote:
another 2 grenades to kill the last harpy in Cleopatra's Palaces.
That harpy is a bitch, I remember it all too well. It was a nightmare with no-scratch and pistols only.
Old 25-04-18, 07:38   #17
xtimz

^ Hi

1. For the crocodile. I guess it's a penalty crocodile, in case one doesn't enter Sacred Lake from the correct place in the 2nd visit.

2. For the health loss in Catacombs. It's great to get an explanation and learn the safety drop save bug. I made a video to show the differences in Catacombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVolsD2MJ_E

3. Except the harpy, I encounter another nightmare in no scratch play. It's the steam pipe in Trenches. I simply couldn't do it, and have to use a kind of save/load property. It takes a steam pipe 0.4 seconds from starting to turn off to completely turn off. But if we save and load, it will immediately completely turn off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u8vO67optg
In the video, I saved when the steam pipe begins to turn off. Lara will be hurt by the rest of the steams if we don't load. But if we load, the rest of the steams will disappear completely, so Lara get no scratch. I don't know how you did it.
Old 01-05-18, 15:43   #18
akci

^ With tremendous perseverance, served with a goodly amount of cussing.
But seriously, I think it has something to do with processing rate, the higher the better, when you deal with particles like the smoke there.
We played a no-scratch challenge about 10 years ago, and already then that smoke blower was stretching the limit of what was possible. I did not use the bug you mentioned, but maybe since then that task has become impossible. Unless you use some 3rd party program in the background, like a pi counter.
If you have access to an older computer, the older the better, that probably will give you an easier time there.
Old 03-05-18, 01:32   #19
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akci View Post
^ With tremendous perseverance, served with a goodly amount of cussing.
But seriously, I think it has something to do with processing rate, the higher the better, when you deal with particles like the smoke there.
We played a no-scratch challenge about 10 years ago, and already then that smoke blower was stretching the limit of what was possible. I did not use the bug you mentioned, but maybe since then that task has become impossible. Unless you use some 3rd party program in the background, like a pi counter.
If you have access to an older computer, the older the better, that probably will give you an easier time there.
Then, my computer must be hopeless.
It's Intel i5 4440.
Do you remember what was the CPU you succeeded 10 years ago? I'll find one slower than that.
Old 04-05-18, 13:43   #20
akci

^ Certainly single core, either a 2.6Ghz or a Celeron 2.0, not sure which. I got the 2.6 around that time, it was the biggest that could be squeezed in that computer.
Now that I looked at the old challenge thread, I gave that task a 1:400 chance, and if IIRC it took me about 170-180 attmepts to do it, which was close enough to the median to make it a good ballpark figure.