Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 07-07-17, 22:17   #21
Yeauxleaux

I did find it very hard when I first played it, both because of the flying mutants and not knowing exactly where my next jump was. Yes, I died lots of times haha

I'm not mad at it though, it's the penultimate level and it's supposed to be hard. I don't think all games should be easy all the time.

Now though, I'm at a point where I've done it so many times that it's easy, even if I go back and play it after a long time. The mutants aren't a problem once you get used to reacting and dodging in a way that you don't fall, and I pretty much have all the platforming sequences burned into muscle memory at this point.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 01:42   #22
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
It's even worse if you like earning achievements or trophies - one of them requires completing the central shaft without dying once. Evil.
It's actually not very hard if you take your time. After having shot the next switch, two flying mutants spawn. Kill them, then shoot the switch again and you've plenty of times. The UZIs are pretty good at dealing with the flying ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I know everybody hates the concept of optional tombs: but this is exactly what optional tombs should be used for: to provide a good challenge for seasoned gamers to pull their hair out at, while the casual gamers skip it and move on to the finish.
Please no! TR used to be what Dark Souls is now. There certainly is an audience for hard games and while I think that TR should be a tad more forgiving than Dark Souls, I think that about half of the puzzles and challenges of the optional tombs should be put onto the main path.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 10:13   #23
loom

Easily the hardest section of the game, which proves that CD could make the platforming somewhat challenging if they wanted to. The mutants were far more annoying than the actual platforming, however. Don't really have a problem with it anymore.
loom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 18:49   #24
Error96

I probably died and spent more time in obelisk of Khamoon than Atlantis. I preferred the complexity of the original design to the level but no I wouldn't say it was too hard. I like harder platforming rather than all the difficulty being in the combat.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 06:54   #25
A_De

This was the place when I quit and binned that game.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 12:31   #26
Ashnod

I'm fine with it. It's challenging and demanding, but that is the point of something this far into the game. However, if you've mastered how to use the camera in tandem with Lara's movements, it isn't as difficult as many players make it out to be.

If I have any real complaints about it at this point, it's mostly that it feels like a section from a game and not something native to the setting - but that is a complaint that I can make about pretty much any game in this franchise prior to the reboot era.

I prefer to the original game though. Give me this, with all of its design trappings and conceits, instead of the spike pits and boulder traps from the first game which felt irreconcilably out of place.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-17, 14:09   #27
Shirley_Manson

For years I held off finishing this game, because I got fed up with it when I got to Egypt, so I got to read a lot of angry and frustrated comments about the pyramid shaft.
When I finally decided it's time to take care of unfinished business about 2 years ago, I was finished with the shaft easily in 10 minutes. Way too short and easy if you jump directly for the grapple ring on the problematic (third?) platform. Talk about anticlimactic.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 16:15   #28
AshesBorn

Loved it.
Beat it on my first try back in 2007, so I felt quite puzzled when I saw people complain how unfairly challenging in was. It felt just right to me.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 18:59   #29
Zenx

The first time is pretty hard but after that it's kinda easy.

It's all in the camera control.
Zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 00:53   #30
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
Loved it.
Beat it on my first try back in 2007, so I felt quite puzzled when I saw people complain how unfairly challenging in was. It felt just right to me.
Like how people complain about the adrenaline dodge. I cannot understand it it is really easy to execute.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote