Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 15-07-17, 20:27   #1
Caesum

Default Twin Peaks

I am quite surprised that there are many threads about different re-releases of Twin Peaks, yet no thread about the series itself and about the 3rd series airing right now as we speak, with 9th episode being released already?

Does anyone here know Twin Peaks, watched the first two series and is watching the third series now?

Personally, I am quite puzzles about the third series. Recently I have watched both two series, because I realised I have never seen the entire show and only now grew up to appreciate it. I must say I truly loved the careful balance between comedy, mystery and murder. The show started as a typical, bit comedy-like criminal movie and slowly turned into a psychedelic experience with shamanism, UFO and magic. It was really incredible how Lynch managed make a clear contrast between everyday life and supernatural elements, all while keeping them in perfect balance.

That being said, I must say I am rather disappointed with the third series. Obviously, with the ending of the second series it was rather impossible to just go on with your usual Twin Peaks atmosphere, but it seems the series turned into a completely different direction, more thriller-like and psychedelic. The atmosphere is so dense and heavy it makes some of the other sub-plots seem redundant, and yet at the same time I cannot make myself fully interested in what's happening. Gone are the days of beautiful landscapes and small villages. Infact, contrary to the title, there's not much of Twin Peaks itself.
So far I watched the first 8 episodes and I'm heading to the 9th, but I'm not sure how far I'll manage. The first several episodes felt so unbalanced, with mystery scenes being dark and gritty, while "everyday" life being more cringeworthy rather than funny.
The 8th episode was a complete psychedelic trip. It seems when it comes to this episode that it's either love or hate relationship. In my case, unfortunately, it was the latter. There was no feeling of Twin Peaks in it at all and even as a separate video it was still too messy for me to appreciate. It felt as if the author had no idea what to put in it, so he used Windows screensavers to fill in the gaps. I really hope the 9th episode will be better.

But what are your thoughts?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-17, 17:07   #2
Zelda master

Currently rewatching the series with a friend of mine, but progress has been going ridiculously slow. We've been watching season 2 now for two months, with seven episodes left. I really want to begin the new season, but not until we've finished!
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 03:59   #3
trfan16

Man, I didn't even know the new season has already aired. Shows how much I've been out of the loop right now. I was really looking forward to the new season though. It felt like the news for a new season has been going on for a long time. It's one of my all time favorite TV series, and I'm super excited to see that the new season is out now. It looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Zelda master, I haven't watched the second season in a long time but I remember having mixed opinions on it too. There were a lot of great moments in Season 2, but there are also some moments that were pretty filler and boring. It was pretty soap opera-y at times too. I remember the James storyline being rather dull. After Laura's case is resolved, the story does kind of take a step back. But there are still some great moments and the ending is worth it.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 08:45   #4
Caesum

Well then I must say the Laura case is back and it's even weirder than it was near the end of the season 2. And then again, I think the entire season 3 is like a heavier and weirder version of the last episodes of season 3. Of course there are some funny moments, especially with Dale Cooper(won't say more than that) and Lucy+Andy, but some of them are more cringeworthy than tastefully written. It doesn't feel as weird and funny as season1 or 2.

Oh and the amount of scenes where people do nothing particular for like 10 or so minutes, ugh the nerve!!!
Old 18-07-17, 16:53   #5
scion05

Existing thread
scion05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-17, 19:57   #6
Chamayoo

Twin Peaks season 3 is typically the "wtf I am watching right now" phenomena for me.
It's totally different to the first two seasons. It's more a continuity of all Lynch work than of them. While I agree with Caesum, I am lucky to love it though. It's weirder (ep 3 and ep 8...), very slooooow sometimes but I don't know... There's something fascinating that I don't want to stop.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-17, 20:05   #7
Gabi
Super Moderator

I watched episode 4 last night and still can't make my mind up what to make of it all.
Some bits had me in stitches (Lucy (Punky!) and Andy), others make me think "wth?!?!"
And what was the bit with Sherriff Truman and Wally all about?
Will keep watching, though.
Gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-17, 20:30   #8
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion05 View Post
It is only about the third series though(and it's outdated anyway).

Gabi, I am with you on that one. Twin Peaks 3 is so weird and you can hardly understand what's going on. I have watched every episode so far and still waiting for another, so I guess I'm lost now, but I'm still super confused about it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Twin Peaks season 3 is typically the "wtf I am watching right now" phenomena for me.
It's totally different to the first two seasons. It's more a continuity of all Lynch work than of them. While I agree with Caesum, I am lucky to love it though. It's weirder (ep 3 and ep 8...), very slooooow sometimes but I don't know... There's something fascinating that I don't want to stop.
I agree about the "wtf" part! It is really different, weird and feels deeper. Yet at the same time I have a weird feeling that some of the more psychedelic stuff have no meaning whatsoever and they're there just as time fillers. Or maybe they're just too deep for my silly brain..?
Old 20-07-17, 21:05   #9
robm_2007

I'd like Coop to grow out of his two-word vocabulary. Maybe aquire some conjunctions or something?? It's so old.

EP 8 was a big waste of time. Windows should sue for stealing their screensavers.

And I'd like more actual Twin Peaks stuff. And generally less spoon-feeding, but overall it's been mostly enjoyable.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-17, 11:22   #10
scion05

I'm loving it... some of the episodes are quite a way from the standard I expected, while others are absolutely incredible, 5, 6, 7 and the premiere were incredible... the last one I thought was the worst episode of TP ever.

None of the new series compares to Lynch's masterpiece, Mulholland Drive however. I say that... Fire Walk With Me moves me far more than Mulholland Drive at the moment, I guess it depends on how you are feeling at the time... both visually stunning films.
scion05 is offline   Reply With Quote