Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase > Competitions

Old 31-08-14, 03:09   #11
Ermagherd589

“Ugh, scan time,” the Clicker said. “This takes way too long.”
“AVG is scanning for your own good!” muttered Meta.
“Stupid scans. Well, I feel like playing video games.” The Clicker said, and he left the computer, his swivel chair turning slightly as the door closed.
“He should be more respectful. I’m trying to help.” AVG said.
“Maybe you shouldn’t have so many pop-ups. The Clicker probably thinks you’re untrusted.” Data explained, her long, wavy hair covering her visor slightly.
“They’re not pop-ups. They’re dialog boxes. I’m trying to get the Clicker to pay for me. He’s got 14 days until his trial ends.”
“Well,” started Data, taking off his visor, exposing his powerful green eyes. “Hurry up, or you’re going to miss the Codec Games.”
“Yeah, yeah. You go on. I’m going to keep scanning for about five more minutes, and I’ll meet you there.” AVG ushered Meta and Data away, while he gathered info about the computer.

“No way, DosBOX isn’t a threat. Go away. Uh…more corrupted shortcuts? Alright, go away. Revo? I need you to get rid of Firefox, it’s been hijacked!
And… What? What the hell is this? Malwarebytes, get rid of this U]iop.
…Malwarebytes? Come on, you’ve got work to do! Alright, Revo, you do it!
…Revo? Alright, what’s going on?”
Bzzt.
“What was that?”
Bzzt.
“Okay, I don’t like this. Meta? Data?”
BZZT.
“Okay, I’m leaving.”

Meta was getting annoyed. “God, why isn’t AVG here yet? He promised he’d come.”
Data tried comforting Meta. “Baby, if AVG said he’d come, he’ll come. Ah! Speak of the Devil.”
“Guys! Something weird is going on. You’ve gotta come back!”
“After the games! I bought tickets for this 4 months ago on Amazon. Amazon! I don’t like shopping there, it creeps me out. But I bought three tickets. Three! Now enjoy the games, and we’ll deal with this problem afterwards.” Meta explained, a frown forming on his face.
“Malwarebytes has gone missing, and so has Rev-” AVG was interrupted.
“AFTER THE GAMES!”
“You know what? No. If you don’t care about the computer, you can die in it.” AVG left the stadium.
“What a jerk. So dramatic.”
“Honey, maybe he’s right. I mean Malwarebytes and Revo have gone missing, we should help!”
“Oh, so you’re on his side! I go and buy tickets for all three of us, and you wanna go ditch this place for something that can be dealt with afterwards. Fine! See if I care!”
“Baby-”
“Just go!”
“Fine. See you at the hub.” Data left the stadium.

“Idiot. Screw him.” AVG said, plugging himself in to the screen. He disappeared into darkness.
“Okay, let’s see. Bitmaps, nope. JPEGs, nope. Projects, nope. Documents! Here’s what I need. Readme’s, DocX’s, Scripts. Scripts, that’s what I need.” AVG began to read the Scripts.
“U]iop! What’s it doing?”
Bzzt.
“Oh, geez, not again!”
“G? G? AVG? Where the hell are you?”
“Data? Is that you?”
“Yeah! There you are,” said Data, plugging herself in. “What’s going on?”
“Something called U]iop. It’s taken out Malwarebytes, and Revo. It’s trying to hijack the computer.”
“Oh, no! Malwarebytes and Revo are gone?”
“Yeah. It looks like it’s going for Uninstallshield as well.”
“And it’s going to try to take out the Bytes in it?” Data asked, her worried face turning into a frown. She brushed her hair behind her ears.
“Yeah. Where’s Meta?”
“Uh…still at the Games.”
“Oh.”
After a few minutes of silence, AVG broke it.
“Whoa! Something’s going on. U]iop has switched something off. Something important…” AVG’s voice slowly faded away.
“G? You okay? G?!” Data turned AVG around, and was shocked to find a bug on his back.
“A bug. Damn." With a quick move she grasped the bug. It was glitching massively.
"So, what are you?"
"Ma-a-a-pa-ap"
"What?" She squeezed it. It vomited.
"You slimy bas-" Data stopped. Something caught her eye. On the floor was a clean white piece of a script.

Data spent hours rereading and rereading it. It just didn't make sense.
"Scri0]pt. U]iop. Codec. Enkemgt. What could it mean?"
But she remembered something. Something she said.
“Maybe you shouldn’t have so many pop-ups. The Clicker probably thinks you’re untrusted.”
AVG. It was AVG. He corrupted the computer. He took out Malwarebytes and Revo. His pop-ups brought it in.
"But why? Why would he want to stop it if he did it? Wait," She took out the script again.
"Scri0]pt. Scri0]pt. That means Script.
Codec. The Codec Games.
U]iop. The virus.
But maybe U]iop isn't a virus. Maybe U]iop is the protection. AVG wants to get rid of U]iop because he wants to do something else.
The Codec Games! The game where all the Codecs come together to battle! AVG wants to Corrupt the Codec games, and when all the codecs are destroyed, the computer will die! Oh, no. Meta!"

"Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Codec games! It was all worth it for this. The only way it would be better is if AVG and Data were here. But, they want to do something else, they can do something else. Miss out." Meta explained to himself.

"And now, the moment you've all been waiting so long for, The Codec Games begin now!" The deep, advertiser-like voice emerged from several speakers around the stadium.

"And here, we have the Codecs!
TRAOD!" A female with a brown ponytail, a black tank top and shorts appeared from a large tunnel.
"DOSbox!" A square-ish man with a brown and yellow icon on his shirt followed.
"EAX!" A chrome-coloured guy with blue lines over him lagged behind DOSbox.
"Yeah, EAX! Yeaaaaaahhhh!" Meta bellowed from his seat in the back.
"IE!" An E with a line going around him appeared. Several other codecs were called out.
"And finally, TRLR!!!!!"
Several screams followed the announcement of TRLR.
"Let the games begin!"
They all hit each other hard with their swords. DOSbox quickly stabbed TRLR before she could think to do anything. She was rushed away to medical service. EAX sliced DOSbox across the face, and he started to bleed fast.
But another noise was heard in the tunnel. A buzzing noise.

Thousands of giant bugs emerged from the tunnel. Some flying, some crawling. They attacked the codecs as cats would attack mice.

"Meta!"
"Data!"
"We've gotta get out of here!" Meta screamed.
"No, we've gotta help the codecs! Without them the computer won't work!"
"What? Oh, fine!"
Meta pulled out an air taser, Data pulled out an electric bow.
Data drew back an arrow, and fired it at one of the bugs. It reflected back and almost hit her.
Meta used his taser on one of the bugs. It powered down and stopped.
"Our weapons aren't working! What do we do?!" asked Meta hysterically.
"Um...Maybe we could..."
But Data remembered something. Enkemgt. "It's a Caesar Cipher!"
"What?"
"I have an idea! I'm going to exit the computer and attach it to the TV! It's the only way to get the Clicker's attention!"
"Are you out of your code?! You'll survive 2 minutes out there, and then your code will grab the closest real thing in the world, and you'll disappear!"
"I know! But I have to do it! There's no other way! Look!" Data pointed to EAX, who was being partially devoured by a bug.
"Okay! But be careful! If you died-" Meta was cut off by a bug, who jumped at him and carried him away back into the tunnel.
"META! Okay, I've gotta go, now!"

Data followed the pathway back to her hub.It was a circular, silver room, with a cylinder in the middle of it. On the cylinder were different types of buttons, buttons to teleport to other hubs, watch movies, look at pictures, social networking buttons, all different types. Data was about to do something dangerous to it.

"So I need to override this thing." Data pressed every single button on the cylinder. With every button she pressed, a humming sound grew louder and louder until the cylinder started glitching about and rocking around.
"Here it comes!"

And all she could see was blackness.

"Loading 'The Real World'"
The cold, feminine voice of the robotic announcer gave Data chills.

Then suddenly, it was bright.

Data followed the light that she could see at the end of the long passage that she was in.

Suddenly, a timer appeared on her arm. A holographic timer.

"2 minutes and 15 seconds remaining."

"Damn."

After a long time walking, Data reached the end of the passageway. but there was something blocking her from getting out.
The lens for a webcam. She cracked it with her bow and arrow, then kicked it open.
She fell onto F5.
Data leaned on her left hand on stood up.
But she saw something. Something strange. Her left hand was just a black pixel. So was her right. And both her legs. Her whole body was just a black pixel.

She wanted to smash something. She grabbed the 'T' key and smashed it. Her arm stretched and cracked it.
"What just happened? Can I...stretch my pixels?"
She looked at a window not far from her. She stretched her arm out and she grabbed it.
"Whoa!"
Next she grabbed a HDMI cord. The computer she was living in. And she stretched the both to the TV. She connected the HDMI cord to the computer, and the other side to the TV. The TV changed sources to HDMI.
"Yes!"
"30 seconds remaining."
Data's happiness was drained.
"Come on, Clicker, don't fail me!"
The Clicker appeared on the couch.
"What the hell? Who took away my video games? Wait..."
The Clicker examined the TV.
"Virus detected. Please use AVG to fix."
"No, no don't!"
"Okay, I'll use AVG." said the Clicker slowly.
"Stop!"
"Please click 'Yes' to fix the virus with AVG."
"No!" Data's voice was getting ore and more dramatic with each word.
"Wait!" Data realized something. She disabled AdBlock Plus on Google Chrome.
Thousands of pop-ups appeared on screen.
"Ew!" The Clicker jumped back. "It's more of those AVG pop-ups! Uninstalling."
"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Data jumped around with joy.
"Wait."
"No!"
"What's this 'U]iop?' Is it a virus?"
"Clicker, can you hear me? If you can it's not a virus!"
"This looks like a virus. Hold on. Let's show compatibility files. Oh! It's a RAR file. Let's extract it."
The Clicker accessed WinRAR to extract it.
"Avast!? This thing is Avast!? Installing."
After the install finished, AVG disappeared.
"No way!" Data exclaimed.
"10 seconds remaining."
"Dammit! Gotta go!" Data extended her arm to the lens of the webcam.
"5 seconds remaining."
"Come on, come on!" Data sprinted through the passageway in the webcam, and emerged out into the hub.
Meta was waiting for her.
"Data! You're back!"
He hugged her harder than he had ever hugged her before.
"Yeah, I'm back. Did you miss me?"
"Yeah. I thought you were going to die. But guess what? All the viruses disappeared! I can't believe it was AVG! I can't believe I was friends with that guy!"
"Uh-huh. I' gonna go see the new guy."

Avast was sitting next to a pond in the Sims.
"What're you doing here?"
"Thinking. I can't believe I was trapped in that RAR file for so long." Avast seemed distant from everyone else.
"You okay?"
"Yeah. But the Clicker just forgot about me. And he installed AVG.
"Mm. But you're okay now. That's the main thing."
"Guys! Guys!" The voice of Lara Croft appeared behind them.
"What's up, Lara?"
"We're going on a junkyard sale."
"What?"

"Poor computer, filled with viruses. All my stuff, gone. Oh, well, it's off to a new home." The Clicker threw his computer onto his verge.
Ermagherd589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 21:10   #12
ri_oh
Inactive

Tremor

A tidal wave hits my back. I have the violent urge to vomit. It quickly disappears, replaced with the sensation of falling. Then, my feet are planted firmly on the ground again. What a rush! The new Tremor Pad HD was worth every penny. I had hoped it would work this well, but I didn't expect it actually would. When I unpacked it from the box the thing seemed like a flimsy, made-in-China, piece of crap. It was essentially a flexible electrically charged pad you drooped over your chair. Then, you sat down, careful to line yourself up with the land-marked pads, and plugged in the USB. I was anticipating it to vibrate a little. Instead, it hooked right into my central nervous system.

"Feel every shot, every explosion, every punch!" Exclaimed the package. Which game should I try first?

Unreal Tournament. Definitely Unreal Tournament.

My vision has been completely taken over. I reach out, swiping at the menu selections until finally I select Deathmatch. The pad seems to know what I'm doing, so I keep with it.

Everything goes black. No sound, no feeling. I can't feel anything. No cold, no heat. Nothing. My body doesn't seem to exist in this darkness. Have I died? Where am I?

With an explosion of light I land inside a room. I move my fingers and toes. I can see again. I can feel again. What was all that? The loading screen, perhaps? Whatever it was, I'm glad to be myself again. Looking around, I suddenly recognize the architecture. I'm here, in the game. Deck 17 is right under my feet. I can walk, I can jump, I can pull the trigger! This is amazing. I can only imagine how ridiculous I look, flailing around in my chair right now. Or maybe I'm not moving at all. No time to think about that. The match is starting.

I have only one pace: Sprint. Hugging the corners tightly I make my way to the rocket launcher. It sits, spinning in one place, beckoning me to pick it up. I crouch down. It's heavier than I had imagined. Playing from behind the screen all the time I never thought about what these weapons actually felt like. Now I'm here. Holding the hefty gun. My biceps tense. Aiming down the hall, I fire off a rocket. My knees bent, the recoil of the shot flows through my body. This is going to be great!

Chkchk!

The sound of another gun being picked up. A bot is near. I brace myself for the next shot. Footsteps get closer. I start loading my rockets. One, two, three rockets load. By the time the forth clicks in place, I release the trigger. All four missiles scream through the air. They hit the ground just as the bot rounds the corner. He didn't even see it coming. His final scream is cut short by the overpowering boom of the explosion. Heat sears my face. A bead of sweat runs down my forehead. Blood coats the walls, caked on like dry paint. This was better than swimming with the sharks. It was better than skydiving. Better than drag racing. Better than sex! I just killed a man and there are no consequences. I saw him explode. I saw life leave him in an instant. I don't care if this is only a game. Its the most real thing I've felt my whole life!

BOOM!

The world spins. I see from angles I've never seen before. After a few turbulent rotations, I land. I'm a lot closer to the ground now. Hey, is that? It's... I think it's my body. I watch as it topples over with a sickening "thud". Blood pours out, pooling towards the severed head in which my eyes currently rest. I've never had to watch anyone, let alone myself, die before. Oh god. I don't like this. I can feel everything. Blood is running out of me. Its freezing now. I'm so cold. Help, I can't so this. Hel-!

With the rush of a cool breeze, everything comes back to me. I'm standing on the other side of the level. Respawn. No rocket launcher in sight. Just this dinky handgun. Keep cool. Don't let that happen again. I'm not keen on seeing my own dead body twice in one day.
ri_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 21:30   #13
DVDSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
Quick reminder: 6 days left!

Thanks. I can't wait to read your entry.
I may not enter this one, if I have time, I'll type something up, I'm focusing on my TRLE work atm
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 02:42   #14
Rai

A PC's Nightmare!

It’s really dark in here. I know this must be a tunnel or maybe a corridor as I can feel the ground under my feet and if I outstretch my arms, I can feel smooth walls. I’m going with corridor. Yeah, this has got to be inside a building. There’s no air around. In fact, it’s kinda stuffy. I wish there was some light. What’s that whirring? Uh, I’m not sure I like this one bit.

I’m gonna keep walking. I’ll keep moving and find an exit. That’s a plan, right? Keep moving. Hey, that’s like Dory, from that fish film. God, what was the name of the film again? Don’t you just hate that? When you're really trying to remember something, like a film title or a book or an actor’s name, and it just doesn’t come to you? I must look that up. It’ll come to me in a minute. Just keep swimming! Yeah that’s the words Dory uses. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. It’s not so bad in here. Sure, I’m all alone in the pitch black with no way out. And it is awfully quiet, except for that incessant whir noise. And I’m on my own. Oh, when will the corridor ever end?

Wait...is that a light? That is, it’s a light! Its’ a crack in a door and there’s light behind it. I’m free! I’m getting out of here. Thank goodness. Hmm, there’s just enough light behind the door to make out a sign on the door and a box on the side. My eyes are adjusting slightly; I can just make out....Google. Really? There’s a notice underneath the multi-coloured lettering. “Please say your question clearly into the mic,” it says. Okay, why not.

“Dory, fish film.” I say out loud into the box, which I assume is the mic.
“Thank you. Please open the door for your answer.” A computerised voice says.

I open the door, hesitantly at first, just a smidge. Then, when nothing terrible happens, I push the door wide. A bright light nearly blinds me and a torrent of noise hits me, like I’m walking against the wind. I can make out words and numbers, but mostly it’s all a jumble. It’s an onslaught to my senses. I flinch.

“This search took 0.22 seconds.” The same voice says in an authoritative tone. Kinda like a librarian or a school teacher. “Dory, fish film. Finding Nemo.”

Ohhh, yeah! How could I forget? I venture into the room ahead. The light has dimmed which makes it easier on my eyes and the noise has gone. It’s just a box room. Nothing in here. I have an idea. I go back outside and speak into the mic.

“Torch.”
Upon opening the door, a wave of noise assaults my ears, then there’s silence. A torch appears out of nowhere. It’s a picture. Wait a second. What if I reach out? The torch drops, and I catch it just before it hits the ground. Stepping back into the corridor, I turn the torch on and a beam of light illuminates the way ahead. This is good; this is so much less scary. Sort of. I’m still alone and the torch light creates shadows. Not that there’s anything in here besides me. Or is there? I could have sworn I saw a movement just then. Perhaps it was just the shadow of my arm. Yeah, that’s got to be it. Just keep moving. I am a warrior on a mission. Only I can save the world from the evil that is....um. Hmm, what evil? Zarg! Yeah, that sounds cool. Hang on, isn’t that the evil transformers type toy in Toy Story? I have to stop watching kid’s movies and watch adult ones. For more references. What was the name of the witch in The Blair Witch Project? Did she have a name? My memory is terrible. Maybe I should go back to Google and ask. No, nope, I can’t, mustn’t go back. I’m trying to find the way out. A neon sign ahead reminds me that I only have 800MB left of RAM. Uh, that could be it.

As I continue down the corridor, it becomes apparent that there are more doors. That’s good. One of these doors has to be the exit. A door on the left says ‘Documents’. There’s very little light behind this one. I turn the handle and the door opens. Arrgh! A river of papers and folders flood out of the room. I’m engulfed by it all. I flail around, trying to keep afloat. My feet aren’t touching the ground anymore. I’m literally swimming through Word and Excel documents. I’m gonna drown here. Noo, I can’t drown, I have a test tomorrow. Oh look, there’s my paper on Tudor kings. Is that a grammar mistake? Focus. Just keep swimming.

I scramble forward and finally I feel solid ground beneath my feat. That place really needs a tidy out. Oh, oh, I’ve just had a thought! It’s a really good one. I must be asleep. I’ll close my eyes and then I’ll wake up. ......Okay, I’ll open just one eye. *sigh*. Nope still in the corridor. The torch light flickers. Great, all I need is for the light to go out. There has to be a way out! Please. Anyone?

That was definitely something moving. Over there to the right. That’s a scuttling noise too. Right, I’m a warrior, remember. My heart is beating faster. I.do.not.like.this. Think of something happy. Roses are happy. Red roses. A red rose bush. With lots and lots of thorns. Something else then? Butterflies. Giant butterflies with teeth that will eat you alive! No! Good god, can’t you think of anything nice? Coffee. Mmm, Latte with a little sugar and a swirl of chocolate powder sprinkle stuff. Oooh a door with ‘Pictures’. This should be interesting. I could Google images of Latte coffee. Stop. Use your head. Find the exit. Yeah.

Is it me, or is it hot in here? It’s definitely gotten hotter since this dream or weird hallucination thing started. I’m actually sweating. That whirring sound has gotten louder too. What does that sign say? It’ all jumbled up. Maybe if I just open the door a crack. I don’t know. Something doesn’t feel right. Nah, it’s just my imagination. Hmm, there's nothing in here...oh, yes there is. It's so pretty. A garden full of roses and butterflies, aww. Ohhh crap, the rose bushes are moving and the there are tentacles and thorns. Really big ones! OMG! the butterflies are chomping. I need to get out. I slam the door shut. That was close. Breathe. Damn, the torch has flickered out. Aaand now I’m in complete black again. What is that wailing? Is that footsteps? Uhhh, happy thoughts, happy thoughts...Dory, daisies, jaffa cakes, lavender. The footsteps are getting louder. My ears! They hurt! A neon sign screams ‘DANGER!!!’ I’m running. Run faster faster faster! Something is slivering towards me. I can hear the slimy squelchy noise it makes across the floor. I have to get out. Happy thoughts. Happy Feet, Penelope Pittstop, ice-cream! Dory. Just keep swimming.

I’m out of breath. I feel so tired. I need to rest. Just for a while. The red light all around me is flashing. The wailing is louder than ever. I’ll have a coffee and a Jaffa cake when I get out of this I promise. A large latte and a plateful of Jaffa cakes. What’s that on the wall? I can just make it out. Oooh a button. Wonder what that does. I'll press it. No, I mustn't. Maybe it'll open the way out? I'll press it, can't harm. Hey, that’s funny, everything has gone blue....

....Nooooo!

Rubbish title. I may change this if I think of something, but right now it's late and I should be asleep, but this story was knocking on the doors of my brain rather insistently.

Last edited by Rai; 03-09-14 at 10:09. Reason: Grammar and stuff.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 09:46   #15
klona
Golden

ONE DAY left.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 14:31   #16
klona
Golden

The voting thread is up!
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 07:53   #17