www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 11-06-18, 06:35   #301
Lily.J
Student

Because ... There is a true satisfaction in putting Lara at 1 millimeter to the edge of the cliff with precision ?

Personally, I just don't care. And if I decide to do it with LAU while walking, Lara will make a gesture of stabilization to not fall and will be, at the edge of this cliff, with much more speed and ease than the era of Core. I admit to being very disconcerted by your comments.

Even though I understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited by Lily.J; 11-06-18 at 06:41.
Lily.J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 06:52   #302
thabani33
Explorer

For a platforming game this is crucial
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 23:45   #303
Yeauxleaux
Professor

I do think the classic TR controls had precision when it came to jumping. If you became good at judging the distance with the gaps and what kind of jump you needed, as well as how many steps Lara takes while running before she does a running jump, you could theoretically never miss a jump in the classic games.

Where it was clumsy and "tank like" to me was in how she ran, especially when it came to turning mid-run. That could be very unpredictable, she could turn too far, not turn enough, fall to her death or run straight into a wall as a result. It gets better the more you play, but I've never truly mastered that. How these speedrunners on YouTube can turn those tight corners with such precision, never hitting a wall, I have no clue. It especially ****s me over every time (to this day) in that one room in India, where you need to do an exact 90 degree turn to pull a lever, before the descending spikes get you. I never get that on the first try because of the clumsy running.

When it comes to falling though, we did have the walk button to prevent you accidentally falling off ledges, so even then it wasn't really game-ruining to me.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-06-18 at 23:53.
Yeauxleaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 03:56   #304
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

Where it was clumsy and "tank like" to me was in how she ran, especially when it came to turning mid-run. That could be very unpredictable, she could turn too far, not turn enough, fall to her death or run straight into a wall as a result. It gets better the more you play, but I've never truly mastered that. How these speedrunners on YouTube can turn those tight corners with such precision, never hitting a wall, I have no clue. It especially ****s me over every time (to this day) in that one room in India, where you need to do an exact 90 degree turn to pull a lever, before the descending spikes get you. I never get that on the first try because of the clumsy running.
Ahh yes, that dreaded room in Temple Ruins. I feel like I never not take damage in that section.
Old 13-06-18, 02:49   #305
fleetingwells
Hobbyist

I don't hate Legend, but I do think it was super easy for a Tomb Raider game. I think the only hard time I ever had with this game was when I was stuck in the room in the Japan level and I had to shoot something in a corner of a wall to get into the next room. Pretty sure I spent a long time in that room trying to figure it out
fleetingwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 09:21   #306
Lavender
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
because it's not Classic
trueeeeee!! 1-6 are the best ones in my opinion
Old 13-06-18, 21:12   #307
Lily.J
Student

Lily.J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 05:06   #308
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

I really like Legend. It's funny, it's fun to play, I can't complain.
Old 15-06-18, 20:40   #309
Psycho_Kenshin
Student

I love Legend. I've even played it through twice, which I don't do for many games. Was especially fresh and fun.
Psycho_Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 17:30   #310
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily.J View Post
Because ... There is a true satisfaction in putting Lara at 1 millimeter to the edge of the cliff with precision ?

Personally, I just don't care. And if I decide to do it with LAU while walking, Lara will make a gesture of stabilization to not fall and will be, at the edge of this cliff, with much more speed and ease than the era of Core. I admit to being very disconcerted by your comments.

Even though I understand what you are trying to say.
I'd say you just don't have the soul of a hardcore player. TR1-5 were hard and frustrating, not because of controls, but because of the amount of things you had to do and you had to excel at it. It was unforgiving. Fortunately, controls were very consistent, so after some time you knew exactly how Lara would behave in an environment. This made platforming hard because of your own mistakes, not because of clunky controls. You had to be good at it, and if you were, you were rewarded immensely. Also, the possibility to grab practically anything you see made the world feel far more complex and real.

In LAU/Reboob I am never exactly sure if Lara will fall off the ledge, grab it or stop near it. I'm never exactly sure which which ledge can be grabbed unless it's white. I'm never exactly sure what distance Lara can jump, because she changes it depending on place and interactive objects. It is fast yes, it is easy yes, but at the same time it is inconsistent and doesn't feel as rewarding. The white ledges and grabbable spots only add to the feeling of artificiality. Hopefully though Shadow will change it.

Last edited by Caesum; 18-06-18 at 17:33.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote