www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 06-06-18, 18:05   #11
supraspecies
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Wow, was 1998 really a dark time in Russia?
No, it was a really pirated time in Russia. The first game I managed to obtain legally was Tomb Raider: Chronicles. Prior to that, I've never seen legal Tomb Raider games sold anywhere. Now, of course, they are easy to obtain through Steam and GOG.
supraspecies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 14:19   #12
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
I remember back in the day, my step-dad had a copy of Mechwarrior 2 installed on his computer... Except fmv's were missing and there was no music. Unlike you guys, this was in the US...
Back in the day it was the standard way to distribute pirated games, because portable data storage was expensive and the internet was slow like a turtle. Piracy groups had to strip down games from "unnecessary" content like music and mostly FMVs to make them as light as possible to transfer over dial-up or put on compilation discs. But pirate copies distributed on CD-Rs (but sometimes also on actual baked discs!) were usually fully-fledged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraspecies View Post
No, it was a really pirated time in Russia. The first game I managed to obtain legally was Tomb Raider: Chronicles. Prior to that, I've never seen legal Tomb Raider games sold anywhere. Now, of course, they are easy to obtain through Steam and GOG.
Oh wow... I remember even as far back as in 1996 there was already legal distribution for pretty much all big major titles here, despite pretty steep prices. I even remember seeing Tomb Raider 3 The Lost Artifact big box in one of Geant markets (bought out by Auchan; too bad I was too young to afford them all back then).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 18:43   #13
Kirishima
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Back in the day it was the standard way to distribute pirated games, because portable data storage was expensive and the internet was slow like a turtle. Piracy groups had to strip down games from "unnecessary" content like music and mostly FMVs to make them as light as possible to transfer over dial-up or put on compilation discs. But pirate copies distributed on CD-Rs (but sometimes also on actual baked discs!) were usually fully-fledged.
I know that. I was just making a gripe of how much of a cheapskate the guy was when compared to other people in other parts of the world where legitimate copies were not easy to come by.

<ChildhoodMemory>
Me: Hey (insert name here), I want to play Ghost Bear's Legacy.
That Guy: Sorry, it was in my old computer. I don't have it anymore.
<\ChildhoodMemory>

And just like Mechwarrior 2, its (fake) expansion, Ghost Bear's Legacy, was all over the place at the time, but instead he opts for a pirated version that he borrowed from a friend IIRC.

Last edited by Kirishima; 11-06-18 at 18:44.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 07:51   #14
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I get it, some people just don't feel the need to spend more money if they can spend less, even if they are well off.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 09:16   #15
SLAYER
Archaeologist

That's a high quality bootleg in the OP.

I remember getting a disc with all the classics, plus the gold expansions, and the first movie. All on a 700MB CD, stripped of any music or FMVs. In TR4 you couldn't use the 32bit texture option, because they were taken out some how.
Old 13-06-18, 09:30   #16
Laras Dream
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
You must have had a difficult time getting hold of Western Countries DVDs, CD's and computer games back then. I suppose pirate versions was the only answer. It looks a good copy

I like searching for unusual versions of Tomb Raider games, and also goto local Yard sales and in charity shops to find these games.

Five years ago I came across an unusual transparent TR3 disk that is a demo, and contains extras..pictures and a film.

I think it was originally given free in a computer magazine. I found it in a charity shop, among other computer game disks.

Details....http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...54&postcount=1
I have the same type of disc, except its a different image on the front. Don't have a picture because its at home and I'm in uni halls.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote