www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 13-06-18, 07:02   #21
Caesum
Tomb Raider

The only things that destroyed the game for me were Atlantis and wall running. First one because it wasn't even remotely similar to TR1 version, which was much more scary and original. I loved how in TR1 everything was so alien and disgusting. In TRA it was your typical fantasy land with only small glimpses of flesh.
The second one, and far worse I think, was the wall running. I find it simply buggy and sometimes nearly impossible to do, especially on PC. It wouldn't have been that bad if Lara was just jumping to the ledge in front of her, but jumping to any ledge behind was tragic. The camera was always off which resulted in Lara jumping everywhere except to that ledge. I don't understand why it was made like this. Prince of Persia was released earlier, yet had so much better wall running.

Personally I think that Peru and Greece are some of the best locations made in the entire LAU series. Beautiful, full of puzzles and very atmospheric. Egypt was nice though a tiny bit boring, mainly due to corridors and grey palette. Atlantis on the other hand was a complete let down. The Great Pyramid could have been the best and scariest in the entire game, but instead it is a boring buggy mess.

Last edited by Caesum; 13-06-18 at 07:05.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 11:00   #22
Ruu11
Historian

TRA is a good game. Very well made remake.

and... terrible gameplay? no way.
AoD's PC version has the worst one, followed by TRU and its terrible animation set
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 14:29   #23
Samz
Archaeologist

Didn't the ps2 version of AOD have horrible controls though? (from what I heard) I played the PC version had no problems controlling Lara aside from the slightly wonky strafing when locked on
Old 14-06-18, 06:05   #24
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

Agreed. Anniversary is the ONLY game in the entire franchise I've actually rage-quit on, not once, but twice. I only made it as far as the centaur battle, but couldn't make it out of that. I was sick of the bugs, automated boss battles and atrocious control. Those two things are a horrid combination. AOD was less frustrating to play.
Old 14-06-18, 07:33   #25
Lily.J
Historian

Quote:
anniversary is the only game in the entire franchise i've actually rage-quit on
Quote:
aod was less frustrating to play
I would reverse the TR title of each sentence, but Ö

Last edited by Lily.J; 14-06-18 at 07:58.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 22:27   #26
Baslakor
Explorer

We've a rushed, half finished game littered with bugs halfway the franchise, so I don't think this game would apply for the worst.

Still, it didn't appeal to me as much as most others. I loved the Greek part, which really added to the original, but I lost interest in Egypt, which was just so... grey.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 02:14   #27
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
The only things that destroyed the game for me were Atlantis and wall running. First one because it wasn't even remotely similar to TR1 version, which was much more scary and original. I loved how in TR1 everything was so alien and disgusting. In TRA it was your typical fantasy land with only small glimpses of flesh.
I agree and have spoke on this before. The thing that made TR1's Atlantis levels amazing and memorable is that they completely inverted the stereotypical tropes of Atlantis. Rather than the typical blue utopian fantasy city, TR1's Atlantis was downright horrible, scary, disgusting and jarring, it looked like a depiction of Hell. It pretty much made TR1 border on a horror game in the last levels in my opinion.

TRA didn't completely reverse that, but it was just so whitewashed and toned down on the horror compared to the original version. It once again served to make the game's palette boring brown and grey neutral tones.

I can kind of see why they did it tbh. LAU generally was a bit watered down in some areas to make it more teen-friendly instead of mature. It just left things feeling a bit... eh sometimes.
Old 16-06-18, 18:35   #28
Fantasy
Explorer

One thing that freaked me out when playing TR I was the fleshy, pulsating walls and it's definitely something Crystal Dynamics dropped the ball on when they made the remake... it would have been so cool to see.
Fantasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-18, 20:44   #29
tomee
Tomb Raider

Some of the grapple jumps can be cumbersome, but I don't understand what is wrong about the adrenaline dodge? It literally works every time for me.
Old 17-06-18, 23:02   #30
Fantasy
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Some of the grapple jumps can be cumbersome, but I don't understand what is wrong about the adrenaline dodge? It literally works every time for me.
Same, Iíve never had a problem with it either.
Fantasy is online now   Reply With Quote