Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-05-11, 01:30   #11
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Arrow

Gametrailers is having a media blowout for Dark Souls today.

New trailer:

Added to the first post.

Last edited by Carbonek_0051; 12-05-11 at 01:32.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 11:11   #12
Nenya awakens
Golden

I've never even heard of Demon souls, but this looks very interesting!
Nenya awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 17:18   #13
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Arrow

Tons of E3 videos

And the E3 trailer:

Old 10-06-11, 17:20   #14
Catracoth
Inactive

I have Demon's Souls on my GameFly queue.
Catracoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 17:23   #15
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catracoth View Post
I have Demon's Souls on my GameFly queue.
Hopefully you like it, when I first played it I found it to be quite odd and didn't really get into it much but after a few days of playing it off and on I got hooked.
Old 10-06-11, 18:20   #16
Ward Dragon
Golden

I really love The Witcher 2 and a lot of people on the Steam forums were comparing the combat to Demon's Souls. Unfortunately I can't try that out (don't have a PS3) but I'm definitely looking forward to Dark Souls now considering that it's apparently going to be very similar to Demon's Souls with some improvements made and it's going to be available on 360 too
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 18:30   #17
ace_85

I still haven't finished Demon's Souls - the final world was an absolute joke, even by my generally patient standards - but I did love the 'take-no-prisoners' approach to the learning curve. It was nice to play a title that respected your intelligence and skill enough to not hold your hand the whole way through and/or spoonfeed you the solution to a problem. I'll be keeping an eye on Dark Souls, even though it's apparently supposed to be even tougher than the first game.

Dear lord
ace_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 19:40   #18
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_85 View Post
I'll be keeping an eye on Dark Souls, even though it's apparently supposed to be even tougher than the first game.

Dear lord
Oh dear Is there any word on the saving system for Dark Souls? I've seen it said that Demon's Souls had checkpoints that were a bit far apart. I love very challenging games but I hate being screwed over by checkpoints which make me redo things for no good reason.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 23:16   #19
ace_85

No idea about the sequel but, yes, Demon's Souls has evilly distributed checkpoints - they tend to be right after the ridiculously challenging boss encounters, so oftentimes you find yourself replaying huge sections of levels many times. It's not for the faint-hearted, put it that way. I figure they will keep the same format for Dark Souls though, as it's a critical aspect of what makes the game so unforgiving. It sounds like a tough sell, I know, but it actually has it's own infuriating charm. At least the combat actually feels solid - if you die, it's because you know exactly how you screwed up - and there's nothing like the sense of satisfaction you get in finally bringing down one of the harder bad guys
ace_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 00:49   #20
Megalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Oh dear Is there any word on the saving system for Dark Souls? I've seen it said that Demon's Souls had checkpoints that were a bit far apart. I love very challenging games but I hate being screwed over by checkpoints which make me redo things for no good reason.
Demon's Souls didn't have checkpoints,if you died you started back at the beginning of the level.
Dark Souls will have checkpoints though in the form of bonfires.If you die you'll respawn at the last bonfire.Personally this is the only thing i don't like so far from the game (especially since i read somewhere that there will be lots of them) because a big part of the tension of combat and exploration will be lost.Other than that Dark Souls looks to be a big improvement on every other aspect which is no small thing since Demon's Souls was one of the best games this generation...
Oh and i haven't played the Witcher games but from what i've heard and seen,DS is leagues ahead in terms of combat.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote