Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 21-03-18, 01:00   #21
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Another interesting thing that I now noticed was that none of them remarked on Classic Lara and her looks. No big boobed bimbo comments, no skimpy outfit comments, no sexualization...
I think its because her sexualisation was never that heavy in the actual games. It was more in the marketing promotion. Still, I like to think this "omg sexualisation! Shay mon you!" mentality isn't that widespread, it's just the small but incredibly loud shrieking harpy brigade (who unfortunately hold a lot of influence).

That said, the Peru level is one of the few times it's really justified to comment on how little she's wearing. She'd get hyperthermia like that haha
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 01:30   #22
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think its because her sexualisation was never that heavy in the actual games. It was more in the marketing promotion. Still, I like to think this "omg sexualisation! Shay mon you!" mentality isn't that widespread, it's just the small but incredibly loud shrieking harpy brigade (who unfortunately hold a lot of influence).

That said, the Peru level is one of the few times it's really justified to comment on how little she's wearing. She'd get hyperthermia like that haha
You're right, she could.

However, a lot of bad stuff could happen from the senseless, reckless, impractical stunts she pulls. But of course, that's what Lara Croft is about.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 01:30   #23
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
You're right, she could.

However, a lot of bad stuff could happen from the senseless, reckless, impractical stunts she pulls. But of course, that's what Lara Croft is about.
True
Old 21-03-18, 01:33   #24
SrDanielPonces

meh, so is the channel
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 06:31   #25
Caesum

I guess the main reason why they are more interested in Rise is because (apparently) neither of them are gamers. The gameplay of Rise is way more simple, scripted and the beginning is basically moving analog stick and sometimes clicking Square or Cross. Also Rise uses the same controls system as most modern titles so it is easy to adapt. Because of that it is easier to progress and learn more about the story.
In TR1 moving Lara is difficult, especially with gamepad (I hate it too and I've played all classics). Also tank controls are very obsolete and most modern titles don't use it anymore, so it is hard to learn when you have never played old games before.

So, basically, I don't blame them for being more interested in Rise. It is simple, fast and full of (bit cringy) narration. It doesn't even need your attention. You could just as well watch it on youtube and the experience would be basically the same. I bet if they played Dark Souls instead of TR1 they still would have been more interested in Rise simply because it is easier.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-18, 08:00   #26
moodydog

On a Tomb Raider forum, it's hard not to look at the originals with the nostalgia goggles on. We have an understanding of what made the originals so good, and why we love them. I think that the modern games do lack some of the classic fundamentals, but I also understand that other gamers, whom are not such big fans of the series simply do not care enough to make these comparisons. They just see a really old game with blocky graphics and awful tank controls (which we're completely accustomed to), and a modern, exciting cinematic adventure and dazzling graphics and easy but realistic controls and of course the general public are going to prefer this.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 21:50   #27
matrix54

Their reaction to the T-Rex was everything missing in modern games.

The set up was simple - music, and a T-Rex appearing out of the distance and you have to think on your feet about what’s to do.

No hints.
No guiding lights.
No fanfare or button prompts.
Defend yourself.
Now.

And they did as they should have - they figured it out. Fight or flight, and many of them died, but that’s fine, as they’re prepared for next time. It was incredibly tense and heart pounding for them (though you get two whole levels to get the controls down beforehand, unlike here where they get thrown into the third level). They’re reactions are incredibly natural, and humorous, and the fact that the game is unscripted is even better. Even in Anni, they give you a pit to stay in and then T-Rex is easy to dodge with two QuickTime events, but in TR, you’re given options about how to deal with T-Rex and where to escape to... or to kill the damn thing.

In ROTTR, the danger is incredibly controlled. Even when they made mistakes, the game was quick to correct them. It’s was more so about the spectacle than the raw danger of it all. If Tomb Raider had better graphics and controls, I’m sure the effect of the T-Rex encounter would have been better.

Last edited by matrix54; 26-03-18 at 21:52.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 22:54   #28
Zael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
...Also Rise uses the same controls system as most modern titles so it is easy to adapt... In TR1 moving Lara is difficult, especially with gamepad... Also tank controls are very obsolete and most modern titles don't use it anymore... I bet if they played Dark Souls instead of TR1 they still would have been more interested in Rise simply because it is easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
On a Tomb Raider forum, it's hard not to look at the originals with the nostalgia goggles on... They just see a really old game with blocky graphics and awful tank controls...
There can be no doubt that they see an "old game with blocky graphics" (also a "difficult" game), but as I described in another thread, I guess I'm not so sure about the use of "nostalgia goggles", "awful" or "obsolete" controls, and so on, in this context.

And I do certainly appreciate the mention of Dark Souls in this context, an example of a successful product which does nonetheless opt for making things more difficult to start with, in order to provide a potentially more rewarding experience down the line.

Last edited by Zael; 26-03-18 at 22:57.
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 22:56   #29
Yeauxleaux

I miss games being difficult tbh, having the danger of putting a foot wrong and falling to your death, enemies posing a real threat and danger. I also liked how in the old TRs you were rewarding for having skill and conserving health packs and ammo, because then you had more resources later on when things really got hard.
Old 26-03-18, 23:35   #30
Zael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I miss games being difficult tbh, having the danger of putting a foot wrong and falling to your death, enemies posing a real threat and danger. I also liked how in the old TRs you were rewarding for having skill and conserving health packs and ammo, because then you had more resources later on when things really got hard.
Yeah, definitely. Also, I guess I'm just a bit surprised that even here at this forum, many fans of the old TRs seem to adopt patterns of speech which tend to imply that the controls in those old games were objectively bad, that we simply didn't know any better at the time, that we only accepted/enjoyed the old TRs because we weren't aware of the alternative options for movement in 3D space (actually, I played Mario 64 on N64 before I first played TR1 on PS1, still loved TR1).

I feel like I must be missing something (or taking crazy pills) whenever I see those types of claims coming from actual fans of the old TRs.

Last edited by Zael; 27-03-18 at 01:09.
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote