Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 31-03-18, 17:55   #1
Heartache

Default What is missing from the new Tomb Raider Games imo

i really love the reboot series but also know that its definitely not perfect and since it seems that we are going to mexico and maybe visit some temples, im really hoping for dangerous environment this time around

they added traps in rise of the tomb raider...fine, but they were childs play. they all were the same and all used bullet time for you to EASILY survive the traps. you also were able to see them from a mile away

the only way i die in the new games is when i get shot by human enemies, if at all and there is nothing else that kills me in these games and i really want that to change

now in modern games with checkpoints you dont lose much progress when you die, so i really dont understand why they are so scared of making the game more dangerous and a little more unforgiving.

which is why i wish for being more on my toes, because boulders, lava, spikes, darts, moving walls and other stuff in the environment are a real threat to the player, without bullet time so you actually have to watch out

for example reaching himikos tomb in tr2013 was so boring, because there was no danger in the tomb at all - compare that to the temple of xian where the dagger is defended by one giant deadly temple full of everything. or the halls of seasons where everything is deadly be it on the floor, in the air or underwater. i want stuff like that in a modern tomb raider, now that the controls are great and lara has a lot of moves she could use in those situations

oh and i also want real underwater gameplay with good exploration, the fear of drowning and dangerous enemies, puzzles and traps underwater and not feel like im swimming in a kid's pool a la rise of the tomb raider

anyway thanks for reading and tell me what you think
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 18:01   #2
Patrick star

I agree with everything you said let's only hope that :

- SE stops meddling with their games' development and level of difficulty .
- They pick up more hardcore playtesters .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 18:10   #3
Costel

Reduce the number of checkpoints.
If Lara dies return her to the last checkpoint saved but keep her progress until she died.
Blend traps into environment. Problem with Rise traps was that they were visible from miles away.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 20:17   #4
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Reduce the number of checkpoints.
If Lara dies return her to the last checkpoint saved but keep her progress until she died.
Blend traps into environment. Problem with Rise traps was that they were visible from miles away.
they even gave you a freaking skill lmao that red color to spot the traps was blinding
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 20:24   #5
Mickybyrne20

Fabulous! A thread that actually has valid criticism. I agree with pretty much everything. Also I'd like for the skill point to see traps to be incinerated.

Here's MY personal want, that I've said many times. That's for Lara to have A LOT less ammo, and some type of inventory management. It just seems like it fits better with the current survival theme. Which, honey, you know it making a return. I personally don't mind the theme, so long as they execute it better.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 20:31   #6
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
Here's MY personal want, that I've said many times. That's for Lara to have A LOT less ammo, and some type of inventory management.
the ammo always bothered me, i felt like i would never run out of ammo and i never did which made it a little less threatening, i always felt safer and i shouldn't!
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 20:46   #7
Error96

I love the traps. The tension of the boulder and not know what would set it off or finding yourself sliding towards spikes or the pressure of thinking fast as a ceiling is coming down. The classics were so good at building that element of surprise and suspense making you tangibly feel the danger for Lara. A lot of the traps are now addressed through slow-mo or QTE so they don't throw you off your game in the same way. There weren't enough in Rise and they were only single traps rather than level sections. I would like to see a lot more of the difficulty put into the skill of the player to dodge the traps and not just in the combat.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 07:21   #8
SamCactus101

I want traps, I just don’t want time to be slowed down when they get activated that’s all. Rise had cool traps, with the ceiling and floor spikes, but the QTE’s made it unsatisfactory when you survived them, know what I mean?
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 09:23   #9
OrangeJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
now in modern games with checkpoints you dont lose much progress when you die, so i really dont understand why they are so scared of making the game more dangerous and a little more unforgiving.
you PUT IT INTO WORDS.

THANK YOU.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 12:21   #10
Yeauxleaux

Yes!
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote