Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

View Poll Results: Newcomer thread or subforum?
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor thread for newbies would be good, in TRLE subforum. 6 16.67%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor thread for us would be good, in TRLE subforum. 1 2.78%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor OPEN subforum for newbies would be good. 21 58.33%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor OPEN subforum for us would be good. 7 19.44%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for newbies would be good. 1 2.78%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor HIDDEN subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
- I am NOT a newbie, but I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for newbies would be good. 0 0%
- I AM a newbie, and I say a general editor PASSWORDED subforum for us would be good. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-18, 21:43   #21
not again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkyV View Post
The general question subforum option was rejected by the forum leadership. Too many threads should be removed, making mess and disturbance - just only one reason. Honestly, good luck to convince Justin that it is not right. (Not that I declined his reasons.)
I'm not sure we are thinking of the same thing here - what I would have liked to suggest does not require any threads to be moved, or that the the entire TRLE section gets re-organised, which, agreed, would be quite the demand. I was actually just thinking that the new subforum could have threads corresponding to the tutorial threads (which stay where the are) where people could ask the questions that they cant ask in the tutorial threads themselves. That way all the answers pertaining to, say, Object Codes get gathered in one thread instead of scattered over several threads, making them easily searchable.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 21:49   #22
AkyV

@SrDanielPonces:
Not "another one for expert builders" and not "for both". Only one for newbies, an empty one. That is the lightest way to reform the forum structure, that is what I discussed with Justin.

Anyway, even you can talk things like that with him, you don't need me for that. Convince him that a general/expert question or whatever subforum is useful and easy, and I will happily help to make it done. You can also try to convince him that you don't want to move millions of old threads into a new subforum - because it won't be allowed, anyway. (Again, I don't want to say I told totally the opposite to him.)

EDIT:
@Not again!:
Interesting thinking. But tutorials are very ad hoc, not an organized structure. I mean, what if I have eg. a "Texture" question thread, a "GlobalTrigger" question thread, and then I have a texture question about GlobalTriggers? However, preset threads made on question groups are an idea we can use if we work it out well.

Last edited by AkyV; 02-07-18 at 22:00.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 07:00   #23
Caesum

Quote:
The general question subforum option was rejected by the forum leadership. Too many threads should be removed, making mess and disturbance - just only one reason. Honestly, good luck to convince Justin that it is not right. (Not that I declined his reasons.)
This doesn't really make sense to me. Are you going to move newbie threads/posts to that new forum? Probably not. So why would you have to move threads if it was a Q&A forum for all questions?

Last edited by Caesum; 03-07-18 at 07:01.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 11:31   #24
not again!

Quote:
EDIT:
@Not again!:
Interesting thinking. But tutorials are very ad hoc, not an organized structure. I mean, what if I have eg. a "Texture" question thread, a "GlobalTrigger" question thread, and then I have a texture question about GlobalTriggers? However, preset threads made on question groups are an idea we can use if we work it out well.
I think that the more complex problems that span multiple topics like your example would definitely warrant a thread of their own, making the answers to that particular problem more easily findable to any future newcomers, and also keeping the potential global triggers and the texture threads shorter and reserved for more basic questions.

@ edit: I'd like to add that all those suggestions are really just about finetuning an already working system. Personally I'm getting by quite well in my quest to learn the basics just reading through the tutorials and some trial and error, it's really just about making things even more convenient.

Last edited by not again!; 03-07-18 at 11:45.
Old 03-07-18, 20:02   #25
AkyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
This doesn't really make sense to me. Are you going to move newbie threads/posts to that new forum? Probably not. So why would you have to move threads if it was a Q&A forum for all questions?
Look, I can repeat myself, what I have already told to Daniel above.
I've discussed it with Justin, this was our solution. Feel free to convince him about your arguments, I will help happily to achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
I think that the more complex problems that span...
Would you portray a complex example for your idea, please?
Old 03-07-18, 21:12   #26
not again!

^^ I'm not sure I understand the question (English is not my native language).
Do you mean I shall give an example of my own of what I would consider a complex problem?

In any case, it actually never was my intention to get into a discussion. I really only piped up in the first place because the poll and surrounding discussion gave the impression the opinions of newcomers on what they would find helpful were asked. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
Old 03-07-18, 21:23   #27
AkyV

No, sorry. (Not my native one, either. )
I just only quoted the first words of your post, because that is how I referred that who I answered was you.
What I asked was an example about what you were talking and suggesting.
Old 04-07-18, 22:06   #28
not again!

ah, ok. Thank you for your patience and willingness to consider my points, but I believe my previous suggestion has been rendered moot anyway for several reasons.
For one I wasn't fully aware of just how many tutorial threads there are, so having a questions thread for each would be pointless if you can't sticky them. And on further thought - a newcomer forum would probably have the same effect of improving search results for later newcomers as a general Q&A forum, which was my main concern.
Old 06-07-18, 06:14   #29
Woops

So assuming a passworded or a hidden subforum wins it would be newbie restricted right?

How are they supposed to have their questions answered if they're the only ones there?

(sorry if this has been asked before -probably the case- I didn't read.)
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 07:24   #30
AkyV

No. Hidden/passworded, but newbies and advanced helpers would be both allowed to get in.