Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 06-07-18, 13:43   #1
Ruu11

Post Zombie Amelia

I'm pretty sure that this was a debate before, but I'm just wondering if Crystal Dynamics
ever confirmed that Zombie Amelia was really Lara's mother????????

(this scene had me s h o o k since I was a kid lmao help)

I think that this "plot twist" was all wrong... Just imagine Lara finding her mother 100% safe
instead of a walking zombie. It could have been so much interesting.

Also, it reminds me to Alister death. Like... it was really necesary? (I liked him, ok? LOL)
TRU made a lot of plot mistakes in my opinion.
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 14:43   #2
Nigel Cassidy

After all that work you would expect something a little more satisfying than just a zombie, but then the whole premise set up by Legend was already retconned at the beginning of Underworld. 'He was right all along and there may still be time to do something about it' became 'I have no illusion that my mother is holding court in some mythical paradise'.

Terribly anticlimactic, and a disservice to the story of Legend and the players who actually cared about the story, which Crystal D apparently didn't.

These days many people agreed that the story and ending to Underworld sucked, but I remember back in 2008 I was pretty much the only one who thought that. Everybody else was still in the honeymoon phase that you get every time something is new.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 15:11   #3
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
After all that work you would expect something a little more satisfying than just a zombie, but then the whole premise set up by Legend was already retconned at the beginning of Underworld. 'He was right all along and there may still be time to do something about it' became 'I have no illusion that my mother is holding court in some mythical paradise'.

Terribly anticlimactic, and a disservice to the story of Legend and the players who actually cared about the story, which Crystal D apparently didn't.

These days many people agreed that the story and ending to Underworld sucked, but I remember back in 2008 I was pretty much the only one who thought that. Everybody else was still in the honeymoon phase that you get every time something is new.
This. I would have honestly loved it much more if Amelia was alive, and then after, Lara just continues adventuring for sport while Amelia stays home. Actually, maybe Amelia could even help Lara with some of the work at home like Zip and Alister.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 15:17   #4
Blackmoor

Personally I think if we didn't find her bones (as one option), it should have led to a further mystery.

I would have preferred to find "Avalon" empty. And Lara's next phase was to unravel the mystery of why that was (as well as what Avalon was).

The eitr creatures shouldn't have existed either.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 15:54   #5
Dennis's Mom

I don't know if it was ever confirmed, but I think she has to be. While Natla could make a "new" Amelia to fool Lara, she wouldn't have know what Amelia was wearing during the plane crash, and for what purpose would she have her be a zombie?

No, I think Amelia merely transported into that death level, touched the eitr accidentally or deliberatly and wound up as we see her.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 17:06   #6
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
TRU made a lot of plot mistakes in my opinion.
This is true. It’s weird, Legend has 4 writing credits, two of which were Eric Lindstrom and Toby Gard, who are the sole credited writers for Underworld. The former, as a plot, really felt like it was going somewhere, and not where the latter took us, so you’d think they would’ve had a clear idea of where to go even without the two dudes after working with them to set everything up in the first place.

Little side ramble about thrall Amelia, I never understood why she mimics the half-rotten depictions of Hel. They foreshadow it in the manor with her portrait’s face torn in half, then later there’s a deliberate zoom into Hel’s face when Natla performs her ritual as if to say “remember this”. Is it just a reference (...why?) or were they implying something? Hell (no pun intended), with Legend’s time travel, I half expected Amelia to have gone back in time and been the inspiration for the Norse ruler of Helheim herself.

It’s definitely meant to be her though. As for Alister’s death, someone was definitely happy...

Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 17:33   #7
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
This is true. It’s weird, Legend has 4 writing credits, two of which were Eric Lindstrom and Toby Gard, who are the sole credited writers for Underworld. The former, as a plot, really felt like it was going somewhere, and not where the latter took us, so you’d think they would’ve had a clear idea of where to go even without the two dudes after working with them to set everything up in the first place.

Little side ramble about thrall Amelia, I never understood why she mimics the half-rotten depictions of Hel. They foreshadow it in the manor with her portrait’s face torn in half, then later there’s a deliberate zoom into Hel’s face when Natla performs her ritual as if to say “remember this”. Is it just a reference (...why?) or were they implying something? Hell (no pun intended), with Legend’s time travel, I half expected Amelia to have gone back in time and been the inspiration for the Norse ruler of Helheim herself.

It’s definitely meant to be her though. As for Alister’s death, someone was definitely happy...

While I like Alister personally, I can't say I hate the song. I guess they thought finding her alive and well would have been too silly or something.

Last edited by Samz; 06-07-18 at 18:00.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 18:26   #8
Revenge

But, who is that if not Lara's mother ? Lmao she looks exactly like her, same clothes, same hair, same face & body (though half is shredded into pieces).
I mean Natla could have created an Amelia Zombie doppelgänger but like where is Amelia then ? She has to be dead except if somehow she managed to get out which is pretty impossible tbh.

But I agree with the fact that after all this mommy drama stuff, getting just a zombie is kinda disappointing. I mean it is completely okay considering when Amelia arrived in Avalon she has zero chance of survival but had they found a more interesting concept for Avalon except those hundreds of grey underworlds filled with Eitr and thralls, there could have been a more satisfying and original ending to the Amelia story.

But after all, TR's story has always been an absurd cliché mess and I like it, it's got its charm. ^^
Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 19:03   #9
Ruu11

TRU story has definitely so much lost potential. Just think how iconic actually this game is: Natla's comeback, the super b*tchy Doppelganger, Thor's hammer... but Crystal wasn't able to handle all this epicness and they flopped? idk (TRU Lara has the worst gameplay/animation quality EVER)

I heard that this Tomb Raider was made by hurry. This could explain why some areas in the game look so empty (just think in Nifelheim, it's basically long & empty boring corridors)
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 20:53   #10
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
You're right, it makes no sense. Another example of Underworld's messy disjointed writing...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote