Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-04-16, 02:10   #5851
matrix54

I hated Silent Hill 2, actually. I can't even remember the last 3rd of the game - I just powered through it and finished. I'm a very gameplay driver person, so that long run into Silent Hill didn't really hook me, but I understood having a long descent into Silent Hill.

However, I appreciated the narrative and tone of the game.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-16, 04:24   #5852
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
I hated Silent Hill 2, actually. I can't even remember the last 3rd of the game - I just powered through it and finished. I'm a very gameplay driver person, so that long run into Silent Hill didn't really hook me, but I understood having a long descent into Silent Hill.

However, I appreciated the narrative and tone of the game.
I tend to be very critical of SH2, if only because it's a sequel to one of my favourite games and because a lot of people consider it to be the best one. While I think it's the second best SH game, I find the pacing if off in the last third of the game. The pace and length of SH1 is perfect, with only three main "dungeon sections" the game is finished pretty quickly, which benefits the experience. Horror is best in smaller doses, as longer horror experiences tend to be quite draining.

SH2 kinda peters out near the end. To it's credit, it's only a few hours longer than SH1, for most people at least. It's the prison sequence. I get it's symbolic meaning, but either it or the hotel could have been shortened to keep the pace a bit more to the end of the game. By the time I hit the lake, which should have been the big build up to the finale, there's still an hourish of game left.

It's one of the few complaints I have of SH2, and it's only a small issue really.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-16, 05:17   #5853
PS3_Gamer

Concerning Homecoming and Downpour, I have played Downpour first and Homecoming second. Downpour felt much longer. It looked pretty good in some places but unpolished and rushed in other places. The atmosphere was a bit sad and depressing like on a rainy day. I felt I needed a walkthrough in some places.

Homecoming was a shorter game. The graphics where good, at least very adequate. I liked the creepy and dark atmosphere in that one. Aside from the combat which was a bit frustrating you can get through mostly without the need for a walkthrough.

I did like Downpour but I got stuck more often as some things felt harder to figure out. So I guess between the two games, Homecoming is the winner with me, but they're close. Also, I played Homecoming 2 times in a row but only played Downpour once as it felt more tedious to me.
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-16, 05:21   #5854
LaraDuh

I've finally played the first three games thanks to my friend who let me borrow his HD collection. I'd rank them SH3 > SH1 > SH2 Not that SH2 was bad it's just really good in the beginning and halfway through but then drags at the end. The storytelling for the first two were meh, the third is still meh but definitely a step forward. I just found 3 to be more balanced (?) than the other two, it's kinda slow in the beginning, almost too slow but at least the climax happens where it's supposed to *glares at SH2*
LaraDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-16, 06:06   #5855
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraDuh View Post
I just found 3 to be more balanced (?) than the other two, it's kinda slow in the beginning, almost too slow but at least the climax happens where it's supposed to *glares at SH2*
What do you think is SH2's real climax and where do you think it should be?

To me the climax was Maria getting stabbed by Pyramid Head. It's smack dab in the mid of the game, at least to me, after two dungeons but before the last two, and you feel the consequences of her "death" throughout the game.

But I'm really interested in seeing what your opinion is.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 15:57   #5856
BeautifulMan

So SH Homecoming is on steam sale for like 3 euro, is it worth getting it again if i have ps3 version? I'm a graphics whore so i will buy if it it looks much better. Or is it looks the same, just 1080p instead of 720p? Are there any mods that will make the game look better?
BeautifulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 16:40   #5857
rewak

There's the option to uninstall the game, that improves it.

Seriously though, there is an ENB patch for the PC version to make it look a bit better - http://enbdev.com/patch_sh5_v11.htm
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 16:46   #5858
Zelda master

I'm curious why after all these years, the rest isn't on Steam/GOG yet...
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 17:03   #5859
BeautifulMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
There's the option to uninstall the game, that improves it.

Seriously though, there is an ENB patch for the PC version to make it look a bit better - http://enbdev.com/patch_sh5_v11.htm
hehe :P sure it's probably the worst in the series (if you don't count Book of Memories) but still have some pros like great music, dope monster design and main character is kinda cute :P and thanks for link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
I'm curious why after all these years, the rest isn't on Steam/GOG yet...
Konami hates us, thats why would love all of them on PS4/PC
BeautifulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 17:23   #5860
charmedangelin

I wish Konami would release/sell the IP and let someone else purchase it so that they can release the games on Steam/PC. I would love for Kojima to get the rights to this series back so that we can have another Silent Hill game. I miss this series terribly.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote