Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 31-07-16, 23:28   #1
JimbobJeffers

Default Venturing into PBR

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my first Tomb Raider artwork that I've rendered in Blender. I have been studying Physically Based Rendering for a while now, which is all about making materials behave like their real-world counterparts (e.g. a rock should have a certain level of glossiness, specularity, etc), and this is my first piece of art created with what I've learned. I still have a long road ahead of me but it's a journey I'm very much enjoying!

For the full 4k version and credits, check it out on DeviantArt here.

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 31-07-16 at 23:30.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 00:50   #2
egypt_gypsie

That is really great looking! I like the depth of field you have going on.
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 10:50   #3
Sanglyph

Really digging this! Love the pose, the texturing and the composition. Great work!
Sanglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 20:42   #4
JimbobJeffers

Thank you both! The depth of field is actually me being very lazy, I didn't want to bother with making detailed textures for all the models (which would dramatically increase render time) so I just blurred it all out. But I'll happily pretend it was done entirely for artistic effect!
Old 20-08-16, 17:32   #5
JimbobJeffers

It took over 15 hours of work but here's my latest piece!

Full 4k version and credits here.

For anyone interested, here's a 7 minute time-lapse of the whole process:

Old 22-08-16, 03:14   #6
Hiroyuki

Those renders are really good, especially the second one, everything looks very authentic and the pose is just right too.

I'm glad you said the blur of the first one was just a shortcut though as very shallow depth of field like that is what you tend to get in close up photos so to me it makes it look like a picture of a figurine rather than a life-size figure. This is the kind of problem pre-cgi movie makers used to wrestle with when using scale models, if you can't do something about the depth of field and perspective, viewers will sense they're looking at a little boat in a water tank and not the Titanic!
Hiroyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-16, 21:38   #7
JimbobJeffers

Thank you for the compliments! That is a very good point you raised, I hadn't considered it before and I think using the same effect in my second render helped it look more like a diorama too. I appreciate you mentioning it and I'll try to work around it!
Old 23-08-16, 09:06   #8
MadRat1171

Great renders !!! Espetially second one. You are basing PBR values on Quixel Megascans ? I just want to know your process of converting textures from Specular to PBR
MadRat1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-16, 09:28   #9
JimbobJeffers

I use Quixel mainly as well as some other values I can find around the net. Unfortunately there isn't much information out there for us hobbyists on PBR though!

The specular textures that come with most games aren't suitable for use in PBR. If they're coloured I desaturate them, and I'll adjust the levels to bring them closer to PBR values, but I like to add dirt masks on top for the Glossiness/Roughness textures too. Maybe I'll do an XPS-to-Blender PBR tutorial on the conversion process some time as I get more confident with it, right now I still need more practice though.

Edit: I won't get into detail as there are better sources out there, but specular textures shouldn't have much information, in fact to save memory you could get away with not using any texture and just a single value instead. Specularity represents how reflective a material is, which from what I understand isn't really open to much change. Plywood will always reflect a certain amount, wool will always reflect a certain amount, etc. The variation you see in materials is actually done with the glossiness/roughness (just inverted versions of each other) map. A smooth glossy plastic will have scratches and finger prints which can be made with dirt masks. As an example, for a sheet of glossy plastic you could have a single Specular value, then for the Glossy texture you'd use the correct value and then add a dirt mask which darkens certain areas. Then when the light illuminates it, the scratches and surface wear will stand out and it'll look realistic.

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 23-08-16 at 09:33.
Old 23-08-16, 10:36   #10
MadRat1171

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
I use Quixel mainly as well as some other values I can find around the net. Unfortunately there isn't much information out there for us hobbyists on PBR though!

The specular textures that come with most games aren't suitable for use in PBR. If they're coloured I desaturate them, and I'll adjust the levels to bring them closer to PBR values, but I like to add dirt masks on top for the Glossiness/Roughness textures too. Maybe I'll do an XPS-to-Blender PBR tutorial on the conversion process some time as I get more confident with it, right now I still need more practice though.

Edit: I won't get into detail as there are better sources out there, but specular textures shouldn't have much information, in fact to save memory you could get away with not using any texture and just a single value instead. Specularity represents how reflective a material is, which from what I understand isn't really open to much change. Plywood will always reflect a certain amount, wool will always reflect a certain amount, etc. The variation you see in materials is actually done with the glossiness/roughness (just inverted versions of each other) map. A smooth glossy plastic will have scratches and finger prints which can be made with dirt masks. As an example, for a sheet of glossy plastic you could have a single Specular value, then for the Glossy texture you'd use the correct value and then add a dirt mask which darkens certain areas. Then when the light illuminates it, the scratches and surface wear will stand out and it'll look realistic.
Thank you for explanation I'm also hobbyist. I know about some useful techniques what you was talking about. Getting good PBR values was hard with fine details when I was doing textures for project "Realm of Fallen Angels" in Substance Desinger

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...=213589&page=5
MadRat1171 is offline   Reply With Quote