Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 16-11-17, 04:27   #31
jackraider
Inactive

TRIII is probably my favorite sequel to the original.

Personally, I prefer the PSX version over the PC version. TRIII expects you to die many times and learn from your mistakes until you get it right. The save crystals are more challenging and require the player to really know the levels. This system makes TRIII overwhelmingly strategic compared to the other TR entries in that the player must use the crystals wisely. This is very rewarding, especially after beating a level. PC version completely eliminates this approach making it a more forgiving and casual experience in return. The PSX version gives me a good sense of accomplishment. Definitely the most challenging TR game.

Last edited by jackraider; 16-11-17 at 04:30.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 13:32   #32
dinne

*deleted*

Last edited by dinne; 05-08-20 at 13:17.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 15:33   #33
charmedangelin

Tomb Raider 3 is my favorite out of the classics. I always get so happy and excited when I do another replay of the game.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 20:53   #34
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
PC version completely eliminates this approach making it a more forgiving and casual experience in return..
Which isn't a bad thing after all , imo .

I love challenge , but most of the time I wouldn't want a game to push beyond the boundaries of interesting challenge and step into cheap trolling-on-the-devs'-part territory , the PS version of TR3 is pure torture (I've watched some bits on YT) , it absolutely kills the whole point behind playing video games (having a good time) , fortunately I game on the PC , I can already picture myself rage-quitting TR3 in like the second level had I initially played it on the PS .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 21:58   #35
Anakzunamuhn

Some of us play games for the challenge, not just the fun
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 22:13   #36
Patrick star

I'm all for interesting challenge , but torturing cheapness isn't really my cup of tea . i.e I absolutely love Barkhang Monastery and The Lost Library (interesting challenge) but I detest Lud's Gate and Thames Wharf (torturing cheapness) .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 23:04   #37
Anakzunamuhn

Yeah, London is crazy, you love it or you hate it. Right now i'm loving it xp
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 05:48   #38
trfan16

TRIII always felt like it was geared towards the hardcore fans. Out of all the Classics, this game ranks behind I, II, and IV for me. But I still love this game though. It definitely had the most variety in the series - weapons, locations, vehicles, traps, and you name it. One of the main highlights for me is that this game features the best globetrotting. I love the idea of being able to choose your own adventure with the three different location choices. It really adds replayability on subsequent playthroughs. Also, India is one of the best locations in the series IMO. The degree of difficulty is also a nice touch too. I liked how they took all the Classic elements from the previous games and reworked them to make new challenges. For example, the previous games had boulder, spikes, swinging blades, etc. as traps. But this game takes these same old traps and turn into something creative.

The flaws? I always felt that this game was trying to be too gimmicky. It felt like there were too many vehicles in this game. In fact, each location had some type of vehicle. As much variety as this game had, it also felt like the same old thing at the same time. Fighting the same reskinned animals and human enemies was not very fun.

I give this game an 8/10 overall. It's a great game that is truly geared towards the hardcore fans. Great variety, interesting challenges, and it features all the core Classic elements.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 06:55   #39
Woops

TR3 is a 10/10 no question for me . it's challenging . it's beautiful . it's simply amazing. the levels were done amazingly. and i loved how hard it was. it's my favourite tomb raider after TRC (yes trc is amazing too )
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 13:16   #40
fallenangle

I've probably said this before here but as far as I'm concerned TR3 is the zenith of the old games. If you wanted to play one TR game that defined the series it would TR3/TLA.

The problem with it is that on PS the limited number of save opportunities provided drove the learning curve up almost vertically right from the start. It was skewed towards gamers who were TR veterans, I do not think there much doubt about that.

It is not newbie friendly and even for those TR veterans, on first play through, it amplified the difficulty to almost enjoyment sapping levels at times. It is a positive disincentive for exploration and that, for me, is TR3's major gameplay design fault.

Because of that I'd always suggest the PC version for a first playthrough. With the save anywhere options and the save crystals being replaced by healing crystals it undoubtedly makes it easier. But it is still inherently tougher than TR2 which, of course, allowed you to save anywhere even on the PS.

Health levels/pickups are, surely, not an issue in any old TR and that actually makes TR3's heal crystals redundant for all but the most careless and profligate players anyway. You can still play the game at the same higher difficulty as the PS on the PC simply by not using them and limiting the saves per level to same number as the heal crystals you've found.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote