Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 28-07-17, 15:01   #11
Opaque79

I did play the game on a console first so it makes sense that I prefer the controller
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 20:13   #12
Joey79100

I'm traditionally more a mouse+keyboard player, but it's been a few months I started using the gamepad I bought about ten years ago for several games, including Tomb Raider. And now I actually prefer playing TR with it. I've played ROTTR only with it by the way, while I was used to the keyboard for previous games.
However, with TRL/A (maybe TRU too, don't remember), I have difficulties when it comes to precision jumping. Take Palace Midas in TRA for example: the platform sequence with the spikes was almost impossible to do with the gamepad while it's almost easy with the mouse. This is because you have to change the camera's direction quickly and precisely in the correct direction after each jump, and I find it harder using analogs.
But yeah, otherwise it feels more comfortable to play with a gamepad in my opinion. Especially because I like the fact that you can control your speed without additional buttons. But I'm still more efficient with mouse+keyboard.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 07:41   #13
Lillie

I love playing LAU with mouse and keyboard. In fact, playing the trilogy later on ps3 felt very awkward. I can move smoother and with more precision with mouse and keyboard.
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 08:03   #14
tomee

The keymapping in Legend is ugly and I would honestly have a hard time using it. TRA and TRU have a much better setup though. I would always just reconfigure TRL have resemble TRA and it's flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
When I played through Legend for the first time, I used m&k and it didn't seem too bad. Then I got my trusty Logitech Rumblepad 2 because of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time which I also started using for Legend and it was soooo much better than m&k in that game!
I just played that game a week ago for the first time and I must say that was because the stubborn and glitchy camera. I'm playing the sequel (Warrior Within) right now and it's miles better, works flawlessly.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 20:11   #15
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
If you play on mouse and keyboard, how do you handle combat?
By trying all the combat systems, there's three of them on pc I think; there's probably one that suits you.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 21:03   #16
charmedangelin

I play on a laptop and so what I do is rebind the mouse keys to the keyboard and use space to jump.

Right ALT: Aim

Right CTRL: Shoot

Mouse Trackpad: Moves the camera around.

Space: Jump

Shift: Roll

WSAD: Movement

Q: Grapple

E: Interact with stuff

Last edited by charmedangelin; 29-07-17 at 21:07.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 03:13   #17
SunDormant

Mouse & Keyboard is the way to go for me. I could never understand the dislike towards them. I find it rather comfortable. How do I handle it? I just move the camera with the mouse, adjust the sensibility if necessary, use WSAD to control the character, Shift to roll, Space Bar to jump, etc. I think it's quite simple.

Funny. TR7 was the first game I ever played in which you could move the camera freely. It was hard at first, but that was just because I was used to games like the classic TRs. After getting used to that, I was even able to learn how to play other games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Right ALT: Aim
Right CTRL: Shoot
Wow! That sounds really uncomfortable, for me at least I could never get used to that.

Last edited by SunDormant; 30-07-17 at 03:16.
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 08:41   #18
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
Mouse & Keyboard is the way to go for me. I could never understand the dislike towards them.
It's not necessarily a "dislike". Modern 3rd person action adventures without manual aiming are easier to control with a controller in a lot of cases, especially when there's instances in which the camera angle is fixed or changes quickly. WASD only allows you to go into 8 different directions, while an analogue stick allows a nearly infinite amount of possible directions which makes precision aiming without controlling the camera much easier.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 09:23   #19
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It's not necessarily a "dislike". Modern 3rd person action adventures without manual aiming are easier to control with a controller in a lot of cases, especially when there's instances in which the camera angle is fixed or changes quickly. WASD only allows you to go into 8 different directions, while an analogue stick allows a nearly infinite amount of possible directions which makes precision aiming without controlling the camera much easier.
Which is why Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and The Temple of Osiris are so much easier with a controller.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 09:25   #20
Patrick star

I played every TR game to date with a Keyboard & mouse and all were absolutely fine , tbh .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote