Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 12-02-18, 07:23   #1031
Joey79100

No you don't need to do that. There must be a bug, but you don't have to use a WAD2 file, classic WADs should work.
If you want to convert to WAD2 though it's not complicated, you can do it with the Washroom. I'm not on my computer right now so I can't check but you should find easily.

EDIT: Here's a suggestion: a Reload/Refresh button for imported geometry, which would reload the source files (including the texture if an external texture is used by the file (3DS for example I think)). Because if you're making an object and modifying it over and over, and you want to test in TE how it looks like, you have to reload and re-assign it each time.

Last edited by Joey79100; 12-02-18 at 08:16.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 10:56   #1032
Krystian

I have been rather busy recently so I didn't have the opportunity to express my thoughts about this new editor sooner, but I'm absolutely blown away by how far MontyTRC and the rest of the team have gotten with this editor in such short notice. Finally we have a better alternative for level building, astonishing work, guys!

I have a feature suggestion, but it's more for the Wad Tool than for the Editor itself: would it be possible to enable dragging and dropping animations between the Wad Tool viewport and the viewport of some animation software (3ds Max, for instance)? This would be a dream come true to me as an animator (and many other people as well, I think).
I know that 3ds Max accepts dropping .3ds files (as exported from TRViewer, for instance) directly into the viewport. So I thought that maybe dragging the animation from the WadTool viewport could create a "virtual" .3ds file that would get imported directly into 3ds Max? Would this be possible?

I don't know how the matter looks like with other animation software that can be used for TRLE purposes, such as FragMotion or MilkShape3D. But at the very least dragging the animation outside the WadTool window could instantly export the file into the appropriate file format (the preferred file format could be set somewhere in the options for instance).
Of course it would be great if we could have also the possibility to export the meshes/animations from the wad with Export->Export To (.3ds, .ms3d, .blend, .mqo etc.) buttons. This alone would already greatly improve the animation and mesh editing pipeline, as there would be no trouble of having to export the animations out of compiled level files.

This is something for future consideration of course, I'm not trying to suggest that this is desperately needed or anything, I'm satisfied with what we already have.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 11:04   #1033
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
I have a feature suggestion, but it's more for the Wad Tool than for the Editor itself: would it be possible to enable dragging and dropping animations between the Wad Tool viewport and the viewport of some animation software (3ds Max, for instance)? This would be a dream come true to me as an animator (and many other people as well, I think).
Count me in.

Also, exporting and reimporting complete objects would be another great time saver. It's very hard to edit Lara for example, because you have to export all the meshes, put hem in place, edit the outfit, move back the meshes, reimport it, and retexture it for everything that has changed. Exporting and importing the whole thing at once would be much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
Yeah, that's because I've used a Timer that is GUI-synced. I will use a BackgroundWOrker for this (and I will make it configurable).
Let's resist I will do many changes also today, I want to release the new update very soon.
Will you deactivate it when TE is in background? I just realized tons of backups were created yesterday because I left TE running but without using it. I often do that actually. It should make only one backup when it's reduced and then stop until a modification is made, or at least when the window is restored.

Last edited by Joey79100; 13-02-18 at 09:01.
Old 13-02-18, 21:56   #1034
Caesum

^ I believe for the time being it is impossible to make backup feature save after x changes and it is for the same reason why we don't have 'undo' feature yet.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 22:58   #1035
Joey79100

I don't think so. Making an undo feature requieres tracking everything that's been done and saving it somehow. I don't know how exactly it usually works but it sounds complex.
Counting the changes is really simple, you just have to increment a variable each time a modification is made, which is already tracked by TE for the Save button (it is disabled until you start making some modification). And once that variable has reached a certain number, the backup can be triggered and the variable reset to 0.
Old 14-02-18, 20:24   #1036
Caesum

PRobably a bug: if someone adds a camera and triggers for it, but then deletes the camera, all the triggers stay, making it impossible to output level because "the given key was not present in the dictionary".
Old 15-02-18, 13:48   #1037
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
PRobably a bug: if someone adds a camera and triggers for it, but then deletes the camera, all the triggers stay, making it impossible to output level because "the given key was not present in the dictionary".
I think it's currently the case with all objects. Removing them will not remove triggers they are involved in.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 17:40   #1038
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

I will fix it this weekend. A bit busy at work.

I've made autosave optional and in a separated thread. Also the bug that allowed portals on the four room corners is fixed now. Bugfixes will be in the next update.

Last edited by MontyTRC; 15-02-18 at 22:25.
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 00:00   #1039
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

@Caesum Fixed bug while deleting object, fix coming in the next update

@Joey79100 I've added the feature for reloading imported geometry in context menu

Last edited by MontyTRC; 17-02-18 at 00:14.
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 08:48   #1040
Caesum

Great! Now can you please make grid walls in 3/5 grid it into full squares instead of spacing lines according to floor/ceiling shape? Or add it as a new option? Because the option we have now is pretty useless when someone wants to shape a wall, because when moving lines it affects both sides of the wall, while "make grid walls in 3/5" shapes both sides differently, so it is impossible to fix messy grid without changing entire geometry around walls.

Last edited by Caesum; 17-02-18 at 08:50.