Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 24-07-14, 21:05   #121
Seth94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Anni's improvements over the original are the puzzles , the combat and bosses , the graphics(obviously), voice acting , story and St.Francis folly. but TR1 has the better color palette , the wider more explorational areas , the better atmosphere and the more challenging and complex platforming, that's how I look at both games
The thing is, when I read the different areas you rate each game by - for me, Anniversary wins in almost every department. I still don't get this idea that TR1 had a better colour palette - yes there were a few too many grey areas but they were no worse than TR1. Atmosphere is debatable. I found TRA a lot harder than TR1, but that was probably due to the controls. Again, platforming is debatable. (TRA's Great Pyramid platforming is incredibly difficult and complex.).

One thing I would actually say is a lot better in TR1 are the cutscenes. (And voice acting for that matter.)
Seth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-14, 23:12   #122
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth94 View Post
The thing is, when I read the different areas you rate each game by - for me, Anniversary wins in almost every department. I still don't get this idea that TR1 had a better colour palette - yes there were a few too many grey areas but they were no worse than TR1. Atmosphere is debatable. I found TRA a lot harder than TR1, but that was probably due to the controls. Again, platforming is debatable. (TRA's Great Pyramid platforming is incredibly difficult and complex.).

One thing I would actually say is a lot better in TR1 are the cutscenes. (And voice acting for that matter.)
imo , TR1 had the better color palette because it really has a more variety in colors and the areas don't seem washed at all , the colors were strong and eye-catching and really lovely to look at (Atlantis , Egypt's temples , tomb of Qualopec etc) , aside from the lost valley almost every level in Anni seems pale and the color is barely appearing\standing out I guess TR1 was harder due to the more areas and the many ways\passages that lead to different areas that needs a good eye and needs precise exploration and personally I think TR1's controls are a bit harder but Anni's puzzles and the clever use of puzzling in boss fights (the centaurs for example) is without a doubt way better and more interesting than TR1 , Anni's platforming was difficult and challenging at times but I think TR1 surpasses Anni in that department .
but the most obvious thing that Anni was better in it than TR1 was is the cutscenes\voice acting , the cutscenes in Anni were miles better , more interesting\exciting and better handled than TR1 ,and Keeley did a great job and imo it's the best voice actress Lara ever had ..Shelly was boring and bad as hell .

Last edited by Patrick star; 24-07-14 at 23:15.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-14, 23:26   #123
Seth94

Quote:
imo , TR1 had the better color palette because it really has a more variety in colors and the areas don't seem washed at all , the colors were strong and eye-catching and really lovely to look at (Atlantis , Egypt's temples , tomb of Qualopec etc) , aside from the lost valley almost every level in Anni seems pale and the color is barely appearing\standing out
I understand what you're saying, but to me that 'washed out' feel as you say makes it feel more realistic to me. I find the obvious ledges more of a distraction to the scenery - I feel they could've been handled better.

Quote:
personally I think TR1's controls are a bit harder but Anni's puzzles and the clever use of puzzling in boss fights (the centaurs for example) is without a doubt way better and more interesting than TR1 , Anni's platforming was difficult and challenging at times but I think TR1 surpasses Anni in that department .
Maybe it's because I use the classic system so much, (the fact that I use the LE a lot which is a classic system so I'm used to the controls) - which is why I find Crystal's controls more difficult. (Although I'm a lot better with them now.)

Quote:
but the most obvious thing that Anni was better in it than TR1 was is the cutscenes\voice acting , the cutscenes in Anni were miles better , more interesting\exciting and better handled than TR1 ,and Keeley did a great job and imo it's the best voice actress Lara ever had ..Shelly was boring and bad as hell .
Don't get me wrong - I think the voice acting in both games is excellent. Maybe it's because I've replayed the classics so many times and I'm so used to the attitude and personality of Lara in those games, as well as the classic cutscenes.
Seth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-14, 01:07   #124
SunDormant

Quote:
but the most obvious thing that Anni was better in it than TR1 was is the cutscenes\voice acting , the cutscenes in Anni were miles better , more interesting\exciting and better handled than TR1
Hmm... I don't feel the same way. Sometimes I felt like TRA's cutscenes were a rush version of the original. It was like if everything happened too fast. IDK. The only scene I can think about that wasn't too "rush-y" was when Lara encounters the first mummies in Egypt. Other than that, sometimes it wasn't so enjoyable xDD

[Trying to remember TRA's cutscenes]

By the way, I think the voice acting in TR1 is really good (because I don't want to say epic xDDD). Although I can imagine why you think it was bad (mainly Larson -and I guess Pierre-'s voices, since they sounded like the stereotypical Texas Guy and The French dude xDD)
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-14, 13:43   #125
peeves

I like the cutscenes in Anniversary better than TR1 also.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-14, 20:58   #126
Benjamin4792
Inactive

TR1 is my most favourite along with legend as my second. I think anniversary was pretty good though it is more of 'based on original TR1 story' than a remake
Benjamin4792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 17:37   #127
Yuna fan

I played a little bit of Tomb Raider 1 but never completed it as it broke so I eventually played and completed Anniversary before. At this point in time I loved Anniversary and said it was Crystal best game,that was untill I played and completed Tomb Raider 1. Now that I've completed Tr1 I can't play anniversary with out being bored. It certainly hasn't got anything on Tr1 and I would now say Legend is Crystal best game.

Last edited by Yuna fan; 28-07-14 at 17:39.
Yuna fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 19:39   #128
SrDanielPonces

Legend is a really good game and I love all the sections/levels. Unfortunately It's so short that I prefer TRU cuz of that
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 20:25   #129
Yuna fan

There was something odd about Underworld to me that always put me off. Everytime that I try to play it I'm end up getting bored. It felt a tad rushed to me especially the secret system and boss battles. Legend and Anniversary secret system was far superior and felt rewarding compared to Underworld's.Underworld was alright but is the worst LAU trilogy to me.
Yuna fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-14, 15:41   #130
Tiigerliily
Inactive

I know it's off topic, but I agree with ^ Yuna Fan about Underworld being the worst out of the LAU series. I too found the secret system silly, but my biggest problems with Underworld were the dull level design and the way they wasted all Legend's potential story-wise. When playing Legend, I always assumed we would enter the dais at the end of the game and visit the world in which Lara's mother got lost as a last, thrilling level. When this didn't happened, I thought we would visit the actual underworld in Underworld and then that never really happened either!

To get back on topic, I understand that Anniversary gets a lot of hate for tying TR1's plot to the whole LAU trilogy and I agree that Anniversary's interpretation of the story (and of Natla and Lara, for that matter) was a lot weaker than TR1's was. I also prefer TR1's colour palette and the more complicated level design it had. I do think Anniversary is a very good game, however, and I really enjoyed playing the Greece and Egypt levels.

The Atlantis section was quite crappy, though. I cannot imagine why they left the fleshy walls and the underground skate park out... Those features were among its main strengths! Fighting the Kid and Kolt (or whatever those guys were called) in an interactive cutscene was stupid too, it would have been much more fun to just shoot them in-game. I also dislike Anniversary's design for the torso boss, it's much less scary than the original one (same for the mutants, really).

Sorry if it sounds like I'm bashing the game, I liked it a lot but there was some stuff it could have done so much better...
Tiigerliily is offline   Reply With Quote