Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 16-06-18, 07:28   #231
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
Thread topic: Roseanne
Thread discussion: Lara's clothes
Roseanne is a boring topic. I never watched her show, and I don't know anyone personally who has. I'm only vaguely aware what the show even is, and I don't care either. What is interesting is the wider discussion about racism, about how people feel it's worse to be called a racist than to be racist, about how the vilification of "political correctness" undermines important discussions we should be having, and about other examples of this like how thanks to GamerGate and stuff, it's become impossible to have the long-standing discussion of the portrayal of women in media and in particular games without someone accusing the folks who care of being Nazis.

It's all connected, it's interesting, and it saves us from having to figure out who or what Roseanne actually is beyond "lady who had a show once (I'm guessing sitcom but might have been a police procedural for all I know or care), then it got relaunched but she turned racist in the meantime".

Of course, if you do have something interesting to say about Roseanne, don't let that stop you.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 08:55   #232
robm_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I never watched her show, and I don't know anyone personally who has.
That's not really surprising. It would be like if a Guatemalan had seen Tatort. Though Roseanne's not a police procedural, it's a sitcom about poor, white trash.

I have nothing to add about Roseanne, other than I am currently watching her show and only have about 1.5 seasons left (in fact, I just watched an episode from 1996 which talks about white privilege).
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 11:34   #233
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Roseanne is a boring topic. I never watched her show
Trust me, you haven't missed anything.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 12:16   #234
Dennis's Mom

The original show was quite groundbreaking. Most previous sitcoms featured idealized families who didn't struggle financially. Even the show's theme was a big deal. It was the first that didn't have a real "theme song" I think.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 17:57   #235
Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
The original show was quite groundbreaking. Most previous sitcoms featured idealized families who didn't struggle financially. Even the show's theme was a big deal. It was the first that didn't have a real "theme song" I think.
Definitely. I grew up watching her show and have them all DVD, in fact I just started Season 5 with my partner (I got him into the show and he loves it). Even watching it now, it's so funny and as you said, groundbreaking. They portray a real family and I find so much of my own family in each of the characters. I absolutely loved the revival and I'm still heartbroken about the recent situation.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-18, 07:08   #236
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I remember watching like 15 minutes of the show back around 1990 or so and going, "thbbbbppt".

But then, I think most TV sucks. I'm hard to please that way. Most times I'd rather read a good book, rather than watch the crap presented to me on the boob tube.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 01:47   #237
robm_2007

'The Conners' to premiere Roseanne-less this fall. Clicky.

Hopefully they won't dwell too much on Roseanne being gone, but not entirely act like she never existed - a good balance will be a challenge.

Last edited by robm_2007; 22-06-18 at 01:48.
Old 22-06-18, 04:48   #238
Fantasy

Disgusting.

They’re obviously going to kill her character off. The show is nothing without Roseanne and I’m very surprised that it’s going ahead.

Last edited by Fantasy; 22-06-18 at 11:34.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 05:11   #239
robm_2007

Ironically, I just watched the episode where Dan almost dies from a heart attack and he talks to God and himself about how he can't die as his family needs him too much. Strange timing!

Even though I don't like the trajectory of her character development, I will still be sad to see her go! (I doubt she will be in a coma or disappear and never be seen again, which is the same difference).

She's eating humble pie now, but I wonder how long before she bashes the spin off.
Old 22-06-18, 05:57   #240
Quebsenuef

I’m waiting for the backlash of “ITS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT ROSEANNE”
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote