Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 23-06-17, 11:53   #1
kevindatsun

Default Sudden realization in Legend

So I watched that flashback cutscene again in Bolivia level where Lara's mother disappears and just realized that it was Lara and Amanda talking from the other side ( that explains what's on the Bolivia redux level haha ). On my first playthrough wayback 2007 I thought it was just random words and gibberish but when I watched it again i can hear them clearly. What really surprised me is that it was much more clear on the Nintendo DS version tho because you can actually hear Lara say "Mother? It's Lara your daughter" and "Don't touch the sword" and also Amanda "take out the sword" compared to the console/PC version it was like heavily edited so both Lara and Amanda doesn't sound kinda clear that's why I thought it was just random words when I played it before.

Nintendo DS version for proof ( skip to 10:50 ):

And here's the console/PC version cutscene for you to compare ( skip to 4:43 ):

kevindatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-17, 22:31   #2
Zreen001

I don't know, somehow they seem the same edited garbleness to me, just with the added context of the ending.

I made this many years ago of the two beginning+scenes side by side, that adds a bit more context to the whole thing.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-17, 23:16   #3
Joey79100

Wow, it's the first time I see both scenes at the same time and it gives an interesting point of view. Thank you for the vid!

I really like how adult Lara and young Lara both turn their head at the exact same time just before pushing the sword.
Also, the sword turns left in the flashback, while it turns right in the present. Maybe it had some signification, like, both swords connect this way. Originally I found it weird that pushing it so lightly would make it go fully in and then turn itself, like, it was a problem in the way they had made the animation to me... but actually, it's just completely normal, as it's because of this that it got activated in the first place when young Lara touched it, because she probably just wanted to touch it and nothing else.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 01:30   #4
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindatsun View Post
What really surprised me is that it was much more clear on the Nintendo DS version tho because you can actually hear Lara say "Mother? It's Lara your daughter" and "Don't touch the sword" and also Amanda "take out the sword" compared to the console/PC version it was like heavily edited so both Lara and Amanda doesn't sound kinda clear that's why I thought it was just random words when I played it before.
The dialog is a lot more prominent in the DS cutscene. Interesting find!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 04:08   #5
kevindatsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
I don't know, somehow they seem the same edited garbleness to me, just with the added context of the ending.

I made this many years ago of the two beginning+scenes side by side, that adds a bit more context to the whole thing.
Well if you listen really carefully the voices were more clear in the DS version. Nice video tho ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
The dialog is a lot more prominent in the DS cutscene. Interesting find!

Haha yeah. The voices were more clear in the DS version right?
kevindatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 18:10   #6
charmedangelin

Although I don't understand how Lara can blame Amanda for her mothers death. It was future Lara and Amanda that was messing around with the sword that caused that portal to the past to open.

And when Amanda was speaking she was speaking to future Lara, telling her to pull out the sword which Lara's mother misinterpreted. So that whole scene at the end of Legend never made any sense to me why Lara was so angry with Amanda.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 25-06-17 at 18:12.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 19:34   #7
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
So that whole scene at the end of Legend never made any sense to me why Lara was so angry with Amanda.
As well as all time travel paradoxes have no any sense.

When Amanda woke up, she yelled to Lara to pull out the sword. But Lara's mother on another side of the portal heard that, and pulled out her sword, what caused the blast and killed Lara's mother. From some point Amanda by her scream forced Lara's mother to kill herself. Therefore, Amanda is responsible for Lara's mother death. That's why Lara was so mad.

Last edited by Kivlov; 25-06-17 at 21:01.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 19:58   #8
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Although I don't understand how Lara can blame Amanda for her mothers death.
Yeah, but it's also baffling how Amanda can blame Lara for her own 'death' so that sort of makes them even right?
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 03:45   #9
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah, but it's also baffling how Amanda can blame Lara for her own 'death' so that sort of makes them even right?
"What you think we're EVEN?" Says Amanda with dramatic hand movements.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 11:14   #10
Jorje Croft

Actually LAU trilogy was awesome in my opinion for its time. but if Lara found her mother in the end safe and sound it would have more sense for me, as she/we were in search for years. So what happened in the end? nothing.
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote