Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-02-18, 18:50   #21
Zreen001

I'm sure people said this about Legend Lara. And AOD Lara. And TR4 Lara.

But yes. Reboot Lara is not Classic Lara. If anything, Reboot Lara's family is a cross-section of classic Lara. Classic Lara has bits of Reboot's parents and Lara herself in her.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:57   #22
FanosCroft

I think a thread like this should be make after Shadow of the Tomb Raider is released and the trilogy is over. It is kinda "dumb" to talk about this right now if we don't know how she would be in SOTTR. Her character isn't fully developed yet so we'll see in what direction CD is going with her, in the end we will see if Lara approaching more with the classic herself or if she going to be a whole new badass Lara.
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 19:19   #23
cephasjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
I think a thread like this should be make after Shadow of the Tomb Raider is released and the trilogy is over. It is kinda "dumb" to talk about this right now if we don't know how she would be in SOTTR. Her character isn't fully developed yet so we'll see in what direction CD is going with her, in the end we will see if Lara approaching more with the classic herself or if she going to be a whole new badass Lara.
Actually, it's a prefect time to talk about it because people apparently have this expectation that Shadow is going to make reboot Lara into classic Lara-like when it might not be the case at all. CD could surprise everyone and make Lara even less like classic Lara than she already is. Tempering expectations is a good thing. That's why I started the thread to begin with because it seems that some people have some inflated expectations for this character.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 19:46   #24
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Actually, it's a prefect time to talk about it because people apparently have this expectation that Shadow is going to make reboot Lara into classic Lara-like when it might not be the case at all. CD could surprise everyone and make Lara even less like classic Lara than she already is. Tempering expectations is a good thing. That's why I started the thread to begin with because it seems that some people have some inflated expectations for this character.
There is precedent for this, indeed. Just like how in "Rise of the Tomb Raider" literally no character progression whatsoever was enacted and she was just the same exact person she was at the end of the game as she was in the beginning.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 20:22   #25
Costel

There is some character progression for Lara in Rise.
At the beginning Lara wanted to take the Divine Source, to show it to the world, to cure sickness and death. At the very end she realize that is for the best to destroy it. If she would have remain the same person she would have somehow bypass the Deathless Ones and run with the Divine Source, maybe even killing Ana first.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 20:42   #26
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
There is some character progression for Lara in Rise.
At the beginning Lara wanted to take the Divine Source, to show it to the world, to cure sickness and death. At the very end she realize that is for the best to destroy it. If she would have remain the same person she would have somehow bypass the Deathless Ones and run with the Divine Source, maybe even killing Ana first.
Changing your mind is not the same as character development. She is still the same person she was when the game began, she only realised that the artefact is not what she thought it was and had extraordinary side effects.

Besides, realising 'death is a part of life' as she so puts it, is not rising to the tomb raider profession, it's a spiritual guidance mantra.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 20:52   #27
iWANEX
Golden

I don't really think it's necessary for Reboot Lara to become Classic Lara. CL was fine for the 90s but let's get real here, she wouldn't last a day nowadays. Something had to change because the character wasn't developed enough and people didn't connect with her. That's all.

I still don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand that she's in the early years of her life and she's learning from experience. We are simply experiencing a variation of the bio Core wrote. CD is just showing us the journey. She'll get there eventually. I do see RL gaining confidence and other traits from CL in a near future (we have already seen hints of that in Rise) but of course she won't be EXACTLY like CL. Honestly, it could even be for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Changing your mind is not the same as character development. She is still the same person she was when the game began, she only realised that the artefact is not what she thought it was and had extraordinary side effects.
Not really, her last words in the game defines what's the future for her and it's the complete opposite of what she said in the beginning. There was character development there. Maybe not a huge step but it's not true that she's the same person before and after Rise. Same thing with TR2013.

Last edited by iWANEX; 09-02-18 at 20:55.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 21:07   #28
FanosCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I don't really think it's necessary for Reboot Lara to become Classic Lara. CL was fine for the 90s but let's get real here, she wouldn't last a day nowadays. Something had to change because the character wasn't developed enough and people didn't connect with her. That's all.

I still don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand that she's in the early years of her life and she's learning from experience. We are simply experiencing a variation of the bio Core wrote. CD is just showing us the journey. She'll get there eventually. I do see RL gaining confidence and other traits from CL in a near future (we have already seen hints of that in Rise) but of course she won't be EXACTLY like CL. Honestly, it could even be for the best.

Not really, her last words in the game defines what's the future for her and it's the complete opposite of what she said in the beginning. There was character development there. Maybe not a huge step but it's not true that she's the same person before and after Rise. Same thing with TR2013.
My God I'm so agree with this.
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 21:12   #29
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I still don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand that she's in the early years of her life and she's learning from experience.
Yeah, but the discussion is about Lara progressing into at least a variation of classic Lara. Obviously the old Lara is flawed and immensely underwritten like you said, but the reboot has the capacity to add so much more depth to her personality. The argument is that she'll never be her former (or future) self. Just some other girl called Lara Croft who raids tombs.

For me, I'm under the impression that CD are building her character up more towards classic, or even LAU Lara (my personal favourite). Others are saying she should never even be like old Lara at all. Which is horse****e.

Reboot Lara is quite bland. Her witty humour and sarcasm are nonexistent, her attitude to life totally different. She views life through the lens of the father's troubled past. Where is all HER spirit? She's strong, determined, and more than capable, but Tomb Raiding is like a chore to her.

Now now These are MY wishes for Shadow, which would be ****ing epic. I love the reboot games, although strangely lacking in the Tomb Raider spirit and atmosphere. It was clear that it needed a revamp, but they've removed crucial elements like extensive Tombs, puzzles (not just physics based), traps, DUAL PISTOLS?!?!? These ARE Tomb Raider.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 09-02-18 at 21:13.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 21:21   #30
Error96

I can give a few responses to the title

1) Reboot Lara IS using the name LARA CROFT. Either she is the same character or an imposter hijacking Lara's name. In the latter case she deserves no respect.

2) Reboot Lara is not classic Lara. She is nowhere near as good.

3) She isn't Lara Croft therefore she is not my favourite gaming character and not a character I have any love for

4) Reboot Lara is not classic Lara. Her actual name is mary-sue

Sorry to be so sarcastic but a tread with a title and OP clearly targeted against the classic fans deserves a rather sarcastic response. Of course I want reboot and classic to converge. Any love I have for reboot Lara or modern TR depends on that so yes I would never stop pushing for that even if it annoys some rebootists. Maybe she still has room to evolve into something that resembles classic Lara. That what fans like myself want and consequently what we are pushing for. She doesn't have to evolve towards classic Lara, no but a lot of fans want her to evolve in that direction.

Last edited by Error96; 09-02-18 at 21:33.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote