www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 22-07-18, 20:17   #11
Girafarig32
Professor

I uploaded the pix files and cdaudio.wad to their appropriate folder, and I tried both no CD patches, but still getting the crash.. which leads me to believe that there is still a file missing that is causing the game not to run correctly.

Screenshot of the copied folder's contents
Old 22-07-18, 23:24   #12
laravision
Archaeologist

I don't understand what the issue could be, there should be no problem using the patches. I have noticed though, that there seems to be a lot of unnecessary files & folders in your game directory compared to mine. Also, the config.txt file appears to be missing, and like I mentioned before, when the game is installed somewhere other than program files, the game should generate and place the config.txt file in the main game directory.

My folder contents:

Old 23-07-18, 04:55   #13
Girafarig32
Professor

I went through the process again, this time moving the files to a folder I created on a flash drive to avoid VirtualStore. I'm still unable to find config.txt from either the TR3 or TRLA to move over to the folder created. I am able to run TR3 without it, so perhaps this isn't a problem. Regardless, the initial error is still occurring when I try to boot up the game.

Last edited by Girafarig32; 23-07-18 at 04:57.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-18, 12:56   #14
laravision
Archaeologist

As far as I'm aware, the config.txt file is required for both games. Have you checked the Tomb Raider 3 VirtualStore location for its config.txt file?
Here is my config file for the Lost Artifact should you wish to try it (you'll need to adjust resolution and controls etc to your liking), or you can refer to the following settings which have floated around the forums in the past:

Save the following as config.txt and place it in your TR3 LA folder:
Code:
DD 0
D3D 1
D3DTF 1
DS 0
VM 18
ZBUFFER 1
DITHER 1
FILTER 1
AGP 0
SOUND 1
JOYSTICK 0
MMX 0
SFX 10
MUSIC 5
GAMMA 10.000000
DEFKEY 200 208 203 205 52 53 54 184 157 57 51 82 207 1
USERKEY 72 80 75 77 83 79 54 184 157 57 76 82 207 1
You can also try replacing the 5 .dll files (winplay, winstr, winsdec, dec130 and edec) with the ones from your multipatched TR3 installation. However, this may be completely redundant if you're using Arsunt's patched exe, as I believe he has disabled these files.
Another thing to note is that apparently (not sure if it's the case with these newer No-CD patches), The Lost Artifact requires you to set WinXP compatibility mode the first time you launch the game. Once the config.txt file has generated, you can turn off WinXP compatibility.

First things first though - find your TR3 config.txt file. It has to be in the VirtualStore location. Have you actually found your VirtualStore folder? Make sure hidden files and folders are visible in explorer.

Last edited by laravision; 23-07-18 at 23:24.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-18, 18:18   #15
Girafarig32
Professor

Thumbs up Success

Wouldn't you know it, it was the config.txt file causing the issue! I was still unable to find the virtualstore location on either of the discs, even after enabling hidden files and folders to be visible. But what I did was I copied the text above for the contents of the config.txt folder, pasted it into wordpad, then saved it as 'config' in the folder I created.

The game runs fine now. Thanks so much for your help (everyone), and glad we could get to the bottom of this.
Old 24-07-18, 16:02   #16
Maverin
Explorer

Great to hear! Now you can finally enjoy one of the most overlooked treasures Tomb Raider has to offer
Old 24-07-18, 18:20   #17
RequiredField
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
Great to hear! Now you can finally enjoy one of the most overlooked treasures Tomb Raider has to offer
Listen to this person. Just do it, you have my word he knows what he's talking about.

And a hint from me: now that you have the game up and running, compress the folder the game is in into an archive (zip, 7z, rar, whatever) and store in a safe location. I do so and have a portable no-cd version in case I need an access from anywhere in this world.
(I attempt to do the same for other games but for some there can be more fragmentation so I need more time to determine, what compilation to make. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret...)
RequiredField is offline   Reply With Quote